Rollersetting near touchup time?

daviine

Does anyone here continue to rollerset their hair even up to touchup time? How about when you are past due for a touch up? Right now I am about 12 weeks post touchup and would like to rollerset my hair. Has anyone done this successfully? Do you have any suggestions or tips that I may want to keep in mind?

Thanks in advance!

I have rollerset mine as far along as 9 weeks. It wasn't difficult at all, but I used a really good detangling setting lotion. That's what helped me to manage the hair as I set it. I mixed Keracare's Foam Set with their regular setting lotion.

i posted something similar to this a while back. i wanted to rollerset with lots of newgrowth.
The ladies gave me really good advice that worked: use your best detangling conditioner and then use serum and leave in before setting. i used the serum on my roots and it made the combout so easy.

I have roller set my hair near touch-up time. IMO, it's much easier to do after using a conditioner that provides great slip. Also use a good leave-in (or setting lotion if that's what you use) that provides some slip too.

I rollerset my hair when it's close to touch-up time with no problems. I use a good moisturizing, detangling conditioner, serum, and setting lotion. My hair comes out very nice.

haha. I rollerset even after twelve weeks post relaxer. as i stated in another thread, all i do is use smaller rollers (the pink ones) and use a smaller toothed comb. Everybody loves my hair even after the 12th week.

I barely rollerset my hair between the first week and the 9th week post relaxer... duno why

I'm currently doing it and I'm post 20 something weeks now. Just remember it's all about the conditioner and leave in. As long as you have the softness and the slip your ok and your rollersets will look fabulous!

I try not to do it Daviine but when I have to I always add a detangling conditioner to my hair even AFTER I've washed conditioned and rinsed.

So for instance this would be the time when I'd use a little Pantene as a leave in instead of something else. Make sure that comb is going to glide right through the hair. A little serum doesn't hurt either as a another poster said.
smile.gif

Digging up an old thread to describe how I rollerset yesterday at 7 weeks post relaxer.

I started at 8:30 am and finished by 12:30pm. Even with Nexxus Ensure, I could NOT comb the new growth in the shower. The comb just couldn't budge. (I could comb the relaxed length easily, though.) It was much easier to comb the new growth just damp outside the shower. I didn't use enough rollers because I was in a rush, but I smoothed coconut oil on each section after spraying with leave in and combing through the section.

When I went outside at 1pm, the coconut oil in my hair turned stiff in the cold. The curls looked wirey and wouldn't move. I guess that trick is best for the summer weather.

Oh well. I know I lost less hair than if the shampoo girl at the salon had ripped through the new growth in a rush.

I have done it. I usually do right before a touch-up so that the stylist can see where the new growth begins and ends. I would suggest using a detangling condr, shower comb, serum and a little Salerm 21. I had the best rollerset when I did this and it was 10 weeks post relaxer.

Hey thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'll try using serum with my next rollerset, and maybe I can stretch my relaxer out to 10 weeks or beyond....

I rollerset my hair all the time anyway. I find that the closer I get to touch up time the more taut the rollers have to be. Like others have said using a leave in helps. I also deep condition my a lot before touch ups which I know helps a lot to soften the new growth. I also put a light serum on my new growth to try to smooth it out even more.

I'm at 10 weeks' post-relaxer and roller-set w/no problem. Right now, with the hormone-driven texture changes, /images/graemlins/spinning.gif it's the only way to straighten w/o heating tools. I use NTM Serum.

Bump...

I just wanted to add that I went to the salon and did this as well as had a blow out this past weekend. It's about 9 weeks post relaxer. In addition to the aforementioned techniques, I would suggest using some sort of protein conditioner (doesn't have to be a heavy protein condr, more like a combo of moisturizing and protein) to help strengthen the hair. For example, I used Fantasia IC's Deep Penetrating Creme condr. It's a combo conditioner with moisturizing and protein in it. I would use something similar.

I do this up until retouch time. As the others said, a good conditioner and an excellent leave-in detangler (like Headress Leave-in or Biolage Leave-in Tonic works very well.

daviine said:
Does anyone here continue to rollerset their hair even up to touchup time? How about when you are past due for a touch up? Right now I am about 12 weeks post touchup and would like to rollerset my hair. Has anyone done this successfully? Do you have any suggestions or tips that I may want to keep in mind?

Thanks in advance!

Roller setting is my only routine. I do it religiously. I have very thick hair, and of course, it gets very difficult approaching time for me to get a touch up. I think that the big difference in a roller set when you are well past a touch up, is that it takes more drying time. As long as you give yourself ample time to dry, you should be fine.

Originally Posted by daviine

Thanks in advance!

I do this all the time with not problems! In fact, these rollersets have helped me to stretch my relaxers. Check out my rollerset album, I'm 12 weeks post!

To deal with my newgrowth I up my conditioner washings. I part my hair in three sections going back and clip them before I get out of the shower sometimes. I use my new found friend NTM(poo and cond.)Side note: I add oil to my conditioner for added slip, then apply Salerm 21, a dab of Profectiv Healthy Ends (on my ends), a dollop of Motions Wrap Lotion for setting and keep my spray bottle with my moisturizing concoction handy. After it dries I use Carson-Sheen Mega Htz Hi-Gloss Serum for taming and shine. Finger comb and go.

Soon, I'll be posting some step-by-step rollersetting pics for my sisters. I'll be at 13 weeks post. You are more than welcome to come and take a look

HHG

PS: Just to name a few....here are some techniques I've learned to use to manipulate my newgrowth:
Wash in sections or;
Wash, condition my hair keeping it going straight back, while continually combing.
Add oil to my conditioners
However I'm planning to style my hair; I part it before I get out of the shower.

I've gone as far as 17 weeks post(my longest stretch) using these and other techniques.

~op~

I do rollersets up to (including this time) 28 weeks past my texturizer. I think it's easier for me because I had to learn how to rollerset my hair when it was natural. Imagine rolling 13" of natural hair or longer and you have me. So three and a half inches of newgrowth is no sweat for me.

I think the trick is to use more rollers because you'll have more newgrowth to pull taught. Thats what I do.

I find that a combination of what many of the ladies mentioned works for me. I use a great conditioner that has great slip and detangling properties. Then I use a great leave-in (Lacio Lacio thanks to CH) and a serum (Fantasia Heat Protector Straightening Serum) mixed. This works great for my hair.

Back