• Cool water

Votes: 32 19.6%
  • Cold water

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • A combination of temperatures

Votes: 44 27.0%

• Total voters

Isis

How are you rinsing your hair and what temperature is the water you use when you rinse? How is your method working for your hair?

I rinse my conditioner out with warm water but I do a final rinse with cool water as well. It's been working just fine for me. The only time I dont do a final rinse is cool water is when I use an acidifying conditioner like Ensure which isn't often.

I always use cool to cold water because read somewhere always "treat your hair like the finest silk" and I'd never wash my silk stuff in anything but cold water. I THINK my hair does better with cool, I'm now so psyched about all things connected with my hair that I also THINK my hair feels dyer whenever I go to the salon and they use warm or hot - I started speaking up and ask for cool to cold only please. Who knows . . .

adrienne0914 said:
warm water works best for me. if i use cold, it makes my hair hard and harder to comb...

Yeah me too! I thought I was crazy when cold water made my hair hard, glad to hear that Im not crazy.

I usually rinse in very warm water (not hot), mainly because it feels so good under the shower. I rinsed in cold water today for the first time :eek: since I read from several sources that cold water rinses close the hair cuticle and makes the hair stronger, smoother and shinier. I'm trying to find those article links again (forgot to bookmark them) and I'll post one when I stop shivering...

I usually use warm (every once in a blue moon, even hot), but I know I am supposed to use cold, so occasionally, I will. I hate to rinse with cold, but sometimes I just have to psyche myself into it.

I know that cold water is supposed to be better but I love the feeling of warm/hot water. So I answered warm water.

I use warm water in the winter. When it is warmer in the summer, I use cool water because it feels refreshing.

I rinse my hair with warm water but rinse my scalp with cool and sometimes very cold water. I've been washing my hair at the sink with a sprayer so the cold water doesn't bother me like it would in the shower.

Last edited:
Ok, I've finally stopped shivering...:lol:

Here is one source about this (and the cuticle):

http://www.skinbiology.com/hairbiology,care&loss.html

The outer layer of hair forms cuticles somewhat like fish scales and is shown in the picture to the left. A healthy strand of hair has an outer layer of scales that are laying close above each other. If scales are laying flat, the hair will look shiny, and a comb or brush will glide smoothly. The cuticles are glued down by mixtures of polypeptides - similar to the yellow liquid collagen glues used by schoolchildren such as LePage's Glue. Shampoos and soaps remove the glue-polypeptides and loosen the cuticle. High quality conditioners add small peptides back into the cuticle to glue it into place again. A small amount of pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5) is also used which helps with the glue process. If the cuticle stays open it can start a tear (see second photo at the left) in the hair shaft that ultimately leads to breakage of the hair shaft (see third photo at the left). High quality conditioners also help glue together split hair ends. The longer you leave the conditioner on the hair, the better it smoothes out the hair cuticle. Some manufacturers say only to condition for a few seconds, but longer is better.

Many conditioners today contain botanicals and herbal extracts such as extracts of juniper berries and buckhorn leaves and so forth. These herbal extracts interfere with the glue process and reduce the protective effects of the hair conditioners. Combs with unpolished teeth, sharp hair clamps and tight elastic bands can also disrupt the hair scales and produce damage. With such a damage, the strand will rip more easily, the opened scales do not allow other strands to glide over as smooth as before, which can result in tangles.

For washing, bring your hair to the front before you wet it and leave it there hanging down and keep it there during shampooing. During the washing, try not to move your hair. This keeps the hair strands in position so they won't move upwards and wrap themselves around other strands, resulting in tangles. Use water of room temperature for your hair. The lowest temperature that you can use is best for hair. Warm water open the hair scales, making the hair shaft more vulnerable to damage.

Use an acidifying conditioner with peptides that re-glue the hair cuticles. Such conditioners help detangle hair, add body and increase the hair's natural shine. Put extra conditioner on the hair ends to prevent split ends. Give the conditioner at least a minute to glue into the hair. For a final rinse use cool or cold water.

Oddly enough the cool/cold water doesn't even bother my body....I thought I would freak or something but its sortof refreshing...but I irritated skin so that could be why. So to answer I do my final rinse with cool water.

I rinse the conditoners out with lukewarm/warm water, then I follow with a 30 second cool water rinse after my last conditioner.

I've been placing my head under my shower spout almost every morning, to liven up my hair. I only stay for like 5 seconds,though.

I always rinse in shower with Hot Water.
I weigh 95 pounds and always cold. I'll be darn if I sit under some cold or even warm water..lol.

sylver2 said:
I always rinse in shower with Hot Water.
I weigh 95 pounds and always cold. I'll be darn if I sit under some cold or even warm water..lol.

LOL! I only weigh 110, and I too am cold-natured. I just make sure the cool water doesn't run over my body, just my hair...I put a space heater in the bathroom, since I'm in the shower for 20 min every morning. ;)

I rinse with warm to get the conditioner out but finish off with cool/cold because it's meant to seal the the cuticle and make it less prone to breakage and more shiny.... or something like that.

Back