Rinse-out Conditioner: Is It Important In Your Natural Hair Regimen Or Nah?

I use rinse outs solely for detangling (with water and oil) before I wash after wearing "out styles" (which is what I usually wear). I guess I prepoo, but only for the detangling benefits. I'll also use it for the rare cowash. Otherwise I have no use for it since I dc with every wash.

I use rinse outs for my first step detangling routine. So I'm detangling and pre conditioning at the same time.

I also use rinse outs if I am cowashing in the middle if the week. It stays in each section until I am done then I rinse my entire head.

Last edited:
What are some examples of rinse-out conditioners? Are you guys talking about the cheapie ones or something else?

What are some examples of rinse-out conditioners? Are you guys talking about the cheapie ones or something else?
Yes, the cheapies, but expensive and salon brands do rinse-outs too. These are the ones that will say in the instructions something like, "Apply to damp hair, comb through, rinse well" or they'll say leave on for five minutes (or less).

Of course!

I bought the Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener. The instructions on the bottle say to clean the hair, towel dry the hair, then apply the treatment.

I was trying to figure out the LOGIC of that, so I went a-reading. What I found was that:
Some feel water in the hair at most blocks and at minimum dilutes deep treatments. A deep conditioner is a deep conditioner because it contains ingredients made of particles small enough already to penetrate the hair shaft. That's why the deep conditioner can do "deep." Unless using a DC that is activated by water, water shouldn't be necessary for the DC ingredients to penetrate. Couple that with the facts that water might block or dilute DC ingredients and that the Komaza PHS directions instruct application to dry hair, I've just been deep treating on towel dried hair which is damp. Seems like a happy medium. With the KareCo Tangle Buster detangling brush, it just glides right through my damp hair when saturated with DC.​

Yep - same here. I have to apply DC to towel dry hair as well because the excess water creates more knots. Never knew why until now. Thanks for sharing that interesting tidbit!

I don't use rinse out conditioners anymore. I do my final rinse with diluted acv to smooth my cuticles and ease detangling. Post wash conditioning was doing more harm than good for my hair. Now I dc before I shampoo.

Fascinating!

Last wash day I did something similar, and OMG my heart hair felt amazing the whole wash process.

I prepooed for an hour with NaturelleGrow Mango & Coconut DC.
After an hour, I detangled with the DC in.
Then instead of rinsing out all the prepoo/DC and THEN washing . . . alternatively I shampooed the DC out.
Then I did a proper DC on towel-dried hair with Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic DC.
Last, I hydrated, moisturized, sealed, and styled.

My coil definition was amazing throughout the whole wash day, and my hair felt super moisturized the whole wash day. My hair did not re-tangle after that initial detangle, like it sometimes does. It was so easy to handle as I applied moisturizer and styler, twisted, and so forth.

I'm going to try this again next wash day!

@Prettymetty
Can you please explain your process?

Thnx:smooches:
I start by putting my hair in 9 sections. 2 in back, 4 across the middle and 3 in front. Then I smooth on my prepoo/dc and braid each section. This is done on dry hair twice a week.

I use Kerastase or Herbal Essences and then I layer oil on top and cover with a plastic bag.

I shampoo with Giovanni Ultra Moist shampoo (2 lathers). After I rinse the shampoo really well I do an acv rinse and t-shirt dry my hair.

Thanks. Question:

Do you think I'm wasting DC if I apply DC at the sink to washed-but-not-yet-detangled-hair? My DCs are very slippery. After I apply the DC and brush it through my hair, I twist up the section. Any "extra" DC that squeezes out of the twist, I take and apply to the next twist.

At the moment I'm doing the following on wash day, and I'm trying NOT to use a "dedicated detangler" or RO conditioner.

Steps:
  1. Section hair with Goody Updo Barrettes.
  2. Apply scalp cleanser to scalp and massage in.
  3. At the sink while the scalp cleanser is sitting on the scalp doing its work: Cleanse strands, section by section, with poo that allows for de-webbing (i.e, beginning detangling).
  4. With barrettes still in, rinse out poo in shower. Take shower.
  5. With barrettes still in, dry hair with microfiber towel.
  6. With barrettes still in, section by section, apply DC and brush the DC through/in using detangling brush. Twist up each section as I go. Get the excess DC that squeezes out of the current twist and apply the excess DC to the next section of hair.
  7. Sit under heat to allow DC to further penetrate.
  8. In the shower, section by section: Remove the barrette to ensure all shed hairs can fully escape, rinse out the DC, and replace the barrette for ease of product application later at the sink.
  9. At the sink: Hydrate, seal, apply styler, style.
There IS some DC that ends up in the detangling brush that just gets rinsed down the sink. I hadn't really even thought of this, to be honest, as wasting DC. :smile: But hmmm . . . :scratchchin:

I'm replying like a month later. I do apologize. But, I have pretty long, thick and very cottony/poofy hair that likes to "web". You may use a lot less conditioner than me and therefore, you are not actually "wasting"it. I like the feeling of super saturated, coated hair to detangle. If not, I feel like my hair is breaking. Also, I'm not a stickler for ingredients and silicones are life, so I may just be used to that extreme slip a lot of cheap , silicone-rich rinse-outs give. Most DCs don't give me the same type of effortless slip.

I use them but not as much as I used to. I use them for washing out my henna and indigo treatments. They seem to work really well after any of these treatments or any other ayurvedic herbal powders for that matter. They offer great slip and eases detangling for me after a henna treatment. Love the results :love:.

I use a rinse out conditioner with water in my spray bottle for when I need to refresh an old twist out or moisten my hair before adding a product. That's the only use I have for them.

Back