Rinse-out Conditioner: Is It Important In Your Natural Hair Regimen Or Nah?

Hello!

For naturals who find use of rinse-out conditioners indispensable, what is your regimen, and what does the rinse-out do for your hair that deep conditioners do not?

Thanks in advance!
The rinse-out serves as a leave in conditioner for me on wash days. My regimen is below:

1. Spritz hair with AVJ, oil & protein leave in mixture and add coconut oil (or some other oil) for an overnight pre-poo.
2. Add DC and sit under heat cap for 1 hour.
3. Shampoo, reconstruct, ACV rinse & rinse out conditioner.
4. LCOB or LCOG & style.

For me, rinse outs only aid in detangling. My DCs are highly effective at moisturizing my hair.

1. Clarify/chelate (yes every wash day)
2. Protein treatment.
3. DC
4. Detangle with a cheap rinse out
5. Add leave-in and styling products
6. Style and air dry

My rinse out is effective in detangling, and sometimes I use it as a quick mid-week co-wash if my hair is super dry. I have used some of them as a leave-in, but it depends on the conditioner.

Normal routine:
1. DC overnight
2. Shampoo
3. Detangle with my hair slathered in rinse out conditioner
4. Rinse and apply leave-in conditioner (sometimes using a rinse out)
5. Style

I only use DCs. Since I shampoo every wash, I need to deep condition. Using a rinse out first would leave build up on my low po hair and impede the DC.

My DC also serves as my leave in because I need heat to get any product to absorb. Its simpler to just leave it in rather than rinse out then slap on and steam something else.

That being said, my DC products are not marketed as such. I use a moisture enhancer and a modified rinse out with the right ingredients (GVP Nexxus Humectress with added fractionated coconut and olive oil).

My routine is:
  1. prepoo
  2. shampoo with chelator
  3. detangle with DC and steam. Leave in.
  4. Style

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. Helpful.

I asked because:

I want to support a black woman's new line because of the poo. I'm not interested in the line's DC. But the RO conditioner got a stellar review.

In the past I have felt like RO conditioning is just an extra step of manipulation since I detangle with either my leave in or my DC. I do have a RO that I use as a cowash when I get in a time crunch and need to cowash-ponytail-and-go in 15 minutes or less.

Otherwise . . .

If I cleanse my hair with poo, I feel I need a DC. Afterwards I use a conditioner I can detangle with AND leave in for moisture.

If I just rinse my hair with water between wash days, then I, again, use a conditioner I can detangle with AND leave in for moisture.

-------

Based on the responses in this thread, I'm going to try to use this lady's RO conditioner as a detangler and cuticle smoother after I've shampooed. I'll then see what happens if I rinse it out. I'm wondering if my hair will then feel like it's in need of a leave-in. Hopefully not and I can just apply a moisturizing styler.

Hello!

For naturals who find use of rinse-out conditioners indispensable, what is your regimen, and what does the rinse-out do for your hair that deep conditioners do not?

Thanks in advance!

It depends on the rinse out conditioner like Oyin Hemp Conditioner and Hairveda Moist 24/7 make a good deep conditioner and rinse out conditioner. I feel like products like VO5 and Sauve are only good for rinsing hair.

Last edited:
I wash my hair and DC that's all. I don't use a rince out conditioner becuase it would be an added pointless step for me. My hair is extremely hydrated 100% of the Time. I don't pre-poo either. I also don't use a leave in conditioner . I do no extra steps. I do use a lot of protein every two weeks as my DC.

ETA: I use to use VO5 as a rinse out when I was OCD. I also use to DC on dry hair lol. What the heck was I doing that for?

Last edited:
I use a rinse-out conditioner every wash day as a detangler. I like to use ROs after shampoo but before deep conditioner. I like using ROs because they are usually super cheap and I would rather use a $5 liter of rinse-out to detangle (because I use a TON of conditioner to detangle for the slip) than a $10-$25 8-12oz jar of deep conditioner. If I use DCs to detangle I would go through an 8oz in one use and who has the money for that?? Putting DC on hair already tamed, detangled and slightly moisturized from a RO means I get about 3 uses out of an 8oz and 4-6 out of a 12 oz jar or bottle of DC.

I use rinse out conditioner to detangle after my shampoo. My favorite is Aussie moist. It hands down provides the best slip. I like to deep condition on detangled hair.

I only detangle in the shower with rinse out conditioner fingers and/or a wide tooth comb. I'm not about to waste my leave in or deep conditioner to detangle in the shower.

I use a rinse-out conditioner every wash day as a detangler. I like to use ROs after shampoo but before deep conditioner. I like using ROs because they are usually super cheap and I would rather use a $5 liter of rinse-out to detangle (because I use a TON of conditioner to detangle for the slip) than a $10-$25 8-12oz jar of deep conditioner. If I use DCs to detangle I would go through an 8oz in one use and who has the money for that?? Putting DC on hair already tamed, detangled and slightly moisturized from a RO means I get about 3 uses out of an 8oz and 4-6 out of a 12 oz jar or bottle of DC.

I use rinse out conditioner to detangle after my shampoo. My favorite is Aussie moist. It hands down provides the best slip. I like to deep condition on detangled hair.

I only detangle in the shower with rinse out conditioner fingers and/or a wide tooth comb. I'm not about to waste my leave in or deep conditioner to detangle in the shower.

Thanks. Question:

Do you think I'm wasting DC if I apply DC at the sink to washed-but-not-yet-detangled-hair? My DCs are very slippery. After I apply the DC and brush it through my hair, I twist up the section. Any "extra" DC that squeezes out of the twist, I take and apply to the next twist.

At the moment I'm doing the following on wash day, and I'm trying NOT to use a "dedicated detangler" or RO conditioner.

Steps:
  1. Section hair with Goody Updo Barrettes.
  2. Apply scalp cleanser to scalp and massage in.
  3. At the sink while the scalp cleanser is sitting on the scalp doing its work: Cleanse strands, section by section, with poo that allows for de-webbing (i.e, beginning detangling).
  4. With barrettes still in, rinse out poo in shower. Take shower.
  5. With barrettes still in, dry hair with microfiber towel.
  6. With barrettes still in, section by section, apply DC and brush the DC through/in using detangling brush. Twist up each section as I go. Get the excess DC that squeezes out of the current twist and apply the excess DC to the next section of hair.
  7. Sit under heat to allow DC to further penetrate.
  8. In the shower, section by section: Remove the barrette to ensure all shed hairs can fully escape, rinse out the DC, and replace the barrette for ease of product application later at the sink.
  9. At the sink: Hydrate, seal, apply styler, style.
There IS some DC that ends up in the detangling brush that just gets rinsed down the sink. I hadn't really even thought of this, to be honest, as wasting DC. :smile: But hmmm . . . :scratchchin:

Thanks. Question:

Do you think I'm wasting DC if I apply DC at the sink to washed-but-not-yet-detangled-hair? My DCs are very slippery. After I apply the DC and brush it through my hair, I twist up the section. Any "extra" DC that squeezes out of the twist, I take and apply to the next twist.

At the moment I'm doing the following on wash day, and I'm trying NOT to use a "dedicated detangler" or RO conditioner.

Steps:
  1. Section hair with Goody Updo Barrettes.
  2. Apply scalp cleanser to scalp and massage in.
  3. At the sink while the scalp cleanser is sitting on the scalp doing its work: Cleanse strands, section by section, with poo that allows for de-webbing (i.e, beginning detangling).
  4. With barrettes still in, rinse out poo in shower. Take shower.
  5. With barrettes still in, dry hair with microfiber towel.
  6. With barrettes still in, section by section, apply DC and brush the DC through/in using detangling brush. Twist up each section as I go. Get the excess DC that squeezes out of the current twist and apply the excess DC to the next section of hair.
  7. Sit under heat to allow DC to further penetrate.
  8. In the shower, section by section: Remove the barrette to ensure all shed hairs can fully escape, rinse out the DC, and replace the barrette for ease of product application later at the sink.
  9. At the sink: Hydrate, seal, apply styler, style.
There IS some DC that ends up in the detangling brush that just gets rinsed down the sink. I hadn't really even thought of this, to be honest, as wasting DC. :smile: But hmmm . . . :scratchchin:
That's a lot of steps :spinning: but if it works for you by all means continue.

I wash and detangle in the shower. This is the only time I detangle and only time I use a comb. Everyone's hair is different. I consider my hair to be predominantly 4a with a sprinkle of 3c in my bang and a sprinkle of 4b above my left ear. For my hair I can detangle in the shower in about 5 to 10 minutes tops. I apply my DC in front of the sink with just my hands Sometimes I'll do it in four sections but most of the time I don't. Then place plastic cap on my head and then sit under dryer for 30 minutes. I then jump back in the shower and rinse. If I'm feeling lazy I will rinse leaning over the tub. I don't have to detangle again. I will then immediately put my hair into four sections. I start applying my leave in to section on right rear. I will separate that section into A subsection I then will spray the smaller section with water then apply my gel to the smaller section. Then I will either rake in shake/shingle/or finger coil that smaller section. I then go through my whole head in this fashion.

I would also like to add that I DC once or twice a month. I shampoo and style my hair once a week. I can wash and style my hair in an hour. If I sit under the dryer that will add an extra hour. However I prefer to air dry I think it looks better.

I did recently purchase the kareco tangle brush you mentioned in random thoughts. I have not gotten the chance to use it yet since I'm currently in braids. I generally don't like using brushes. I have a denman and one of those wooden brushes. They both just sit in my cabinet because I feel they like they rip out too much hair even though I was always gentle and only used them on small sections. I also feel they cause my hair to have too much frizz and less definition. I do use an old fashioned boar bristle brush for when I wear puffs or ponytails.

That's a lot of steps :spinning: but if it works for you by all means continue.

I wash and detangle in the shower. This is the only time I detangle and only time I use a comb. Everyone's hair is different. I consider my hair to be predominantly 4a with a sprinkle of 3c in my bang and a sprinkle of 4b above my left ear. For my hair I can detangle in the shower in about 5 to 10 minutes tops. I apply my DC in front of the sink with just my hands Sometimes I'll do it in four sections but most of the time I don't. Then place plastic cap on my head and then sit under dryer for 30 minutes. I then jump back in the shower and rinse. If I'm feeling lazy I will rinse leaning over the tub. I don't have to detangle again. I will then immediately put my hair into four sections. I start applying my leave in to section on right rear. I will separate that section into A subsection I then will spray the smaller section with water then apply my gel to the smaller section. Then I will either rake in shake/shingle/or finger coil that smaller section. I then go through my whole head in this fashion.

I would also like to add that I DC once or twice a month. I shampoo and style my hair once a week. I can wash and style my hair in an hour. If I sit under the dryer that will add an extra hour. However I prefer to air dry I think it looks better.

I did recently purchase the kareco tangle brush you mentioned in random thoughts. I have not gotten the chance to use it yet since I'm currently in braids. I generally don't like using brushes. I have a denman and one of those wooden brushes. They both just sit in my cabinet because I feel they like they rip out too much hair even though I was always gentle and only used them on small sections. I also feel they cause my hair to have too much frizz and less definition. I do use an old fashioned boar bristle brush for when I wear puffs or ponytails.

Thanks for the reply!

:lol: Most people don't write down steps 4, 5, and 8 above: They simply rinse and dry without making each of those a "step."

But you still may feel it's a lot of steps still/anyway. :lol:

It's basically just:
  1. Section hair.
  2. Apply scalp cleanser and strands cleanser.
  3. Apply DC as a detangler to towel-dried hair.
  4. Detangle DC-saturated hair.
  5. Apply heat to DC.
  6. Hydrate, seal, style.
You can probably see why I do NOT want to add the step of using a RO conditioner.

W
Thanks for the reply!

:lol: Most people don't write down steps 4, 5, and 8 above: They simply rinse and dry without making each of those a "step."

But you still may feel it's a lot of steps still/anyway. :lol:

It's basically just:
  1. Section hair.
  2. Apply scalp cleanser and strands cleanser.
  3. Apply DC as a detangler to towel-dried hair.
  4. Detangle DC-saturated hair.
  5. Apply heat to DC.
  6. Hydrate, seal, style.
You can probably see why I do NOT want to add the step of using a RO conditioner.
May I ask why you are towel drying your hair to add the deep conditioner? I would think it would go on better on wet hair.

W

May I ask why you are towel drying your hair to add the deep conditioner? I would think it would go on better on wet hair.

Of course!

I bought the Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener. The instructions on the bottle say to clean the hair, towel dry the hair, then apply the treatment.

I was trying to figure out the LOGIC of that, so I went a-reading. What I found was that:
Some feel water in the hair at most blocks and at minimum dilutes deep treatments. A deep conditioner is a deep conditioner because it contains ingredients made of particles small enough already to penetrate the hair shaft. That's why the deep conditioner can do "deep." Unless using a DC that is activated by water, water shouldn't be necessary for the DC ingredients to penetrate. Couple that with the facts that water might block or dilute DC ingredients and that the Komaza PHS directions instruct application to dry hair, I've just been deep treating on towel dried hair which is damp. Seems like a happy medium. With the KareCo Tangle Buster detangling brush, it just glides right through my damp hair when saturated with DC.​

Yes, I need to use a rinse out conditioner to detangle. I have very dry hair so I need moisture any way I can get it. This means that I use a rinse out as well as a leave in. I use castor oil as it is a humectant. This all works to keep my hair moisturized and manageable.

@YvetteWithJoy, Good Morning! Do you go under the dryer (for deep conditioning) with the barrettes? I'm asking because I bought some and they're already falling apart. Not sure if I'm being too rough with them or if the heat from my dryer is to blame. I bought them from Walgreens so I know they're legit lol.

Where did you buy yours from? Walgreens sent me brown and black. I just wanted black.

@YvetteWithJoy, Good Morning! Do you go under the dryer (for deep conditioning) with the barrettes? I'm asking because I bought some and they're already falling apart. Not sure if I'm being too rough with them or if the heat from my dryer is to blame. I bought them from Walgreens so I know they're legit lol.

Where did you buy yours from? Walgreens sent me brown and black. I just wanted black.

Wow!

I do go under the dryer (HairFlair attached to handheld dryer) and under my thermal conditioning cap with them. Mine have not fallen apart and are nowhere near it. I bought most from Ebay and 4 from Kroger (a grocery store).

Let me see if I can find the Ebay link/seller. If I can, I'll come back and link it.

The ones from Ebay were all black (I had to really search for this). One of my Kroger packs contained 2 black barrettes. The other contained a black and brown barrette. :ohwell:

Here's where I got the vast majority of mine: From seller web123 on Ebay. I wanted all black, and the other sellers had the black/brown mix. So I ordered 8 barrettes from this seller for about $32. That's $4/clip. A little pricey, given that they are just one piece of plastic that folds to form a barrette. However, I wanted all black because in the future I may wear them the way Kimmaytube from Luv Naturals does: She wears them out in a style sometimes.

And truth be told, they are well worth the money for me and I'd repurchase if necessary: I do my wash day in these clips and it's a breeeeeeeeeze -- especially when compared to before!

upload_2017-7-15_8-32-23.png

@YvetteWithJoy thanks so much! I ordered 9 (3 big and 6 small) from Walgreens and paid $17.

So you use all 8 on wash day?

Great price!

Because my hair is so dense, and because I use the sections as the base to my twists at the end, I do the following:

6 sections at first:
  1. Grab the hair in the back of my head that falls below my ear. Split it down the middle, and place a barrette to clip the left half and a barrette to clip the right half.
  2. Section the REST of my hair into 4 sections, just about evenly.
That's 6 sections.
I wash my hair in these 6 sections.
Once my hair is wet and gently finger detangled with the poo I use, then it becomes easy to leave the back 2 sections as they are (they are smaller than the other sections) . . . but to then split the REST of the sections -- the other 4 sections -- in two.

That's 10 sections . . . 5 on each side of the head. I do this because at that size they are small enough to apply DC and detangle. They are also small enough for applying gel or butter or cream or whatever and raking or brushing product through.

These sections are also small enough for me to two-strand twist. I just feel them to see if I should install 2 or 3 twists, depending on how thick the amount of hair is in a section.

I don't worry about sectioning PERFECTLY. If I did, I'd be in the mirror for 40 minutes, just sectioning. :look: :smile:

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't, and I'll draw two ovals on a piece of paper to show it. ;)

Take care, lady!

I used to use RO earlier in my hhj but I really don't use them anymore. I mainly focus on protein treatments and dcing. I try to keep it simple now. I never found a RO that kept my hair moisturised so I listened to my hair. Water rinsing and sealing with oil works better for me.

Back