Reprobate Mind Romans 1:28

Given how that label has been trivialized, maybe we should figure out what to do if the person does not turn away from the sin. Paul and company favored turning the person out of the assembly and not keep company with him or her (1 Corinthians 5).

Turning the person out of the assembly should encourage them to stop the behavior, but that isn't done. Infact, some christians enjoy hearing about other people's sin even when they won't do it. Or they will laugh about it and not correct the person.:ohwell:

ooooo, good call that could be a whole thread right there. . .the definition of Christian. hmmmmmm and I have witnessed the booting of a person sinning against the body. it wasn't pretty BUT God was there in the midst.

Okay here is where I get convicted.....

I Cor. 5:11 "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat."

Notice that is says, "if a brother..."

I'm posting NIV...it did take me a while to get this because I didn't even know what reprobate was:

18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Romans 1

Given how that label has been trivialized, maybe we should figure out what to do if the person does not turn away from the sin. Paul and company favored turning the person out of the assembly and not keep company with him or her (1 Corinthians 5).
But if he/she repented, 1Cor. 5 goes with 2Cor. 2 :

5If anyone has caused grief, he has not so much grieved me as he has grieved all of you, to some extent—not to put it too severely. 6The punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient for him.7Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him. 9The reason I wrote you was to see if you would stand the test and be obedient in everything. 10If you forgive anyone, I also forgive him. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, 11in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.

Sometimes, it is not easy to conclude : he/she is definitely a reprobate mind!
As Sidney said :
Turning the person out of the assembly should encourage them to stop the behavior...
And as example for the spiritual safety of the other members in the assembly. In a local assembly, it is about discernment, discipline AND love.

But in general, we do remember this :

Mat. 13.24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: 13.25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 13.26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. 13.27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? 13.28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? 13.29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. 13.30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Okay here is where I get convicted.....

I Cor. 5:11 "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat."

Notice that is says, "if a brother..."

Another one :
2Jn. 1: 7Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him. 11Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.

who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ : an ex-brother/sister.

For our time :

Jude 1: 17But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." 19These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.
20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.
22Be merciful to those who doubt; 23snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

For our time :

Jude 1: 17But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." 19These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.
20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.
22Be merciful to those who doubt; 23snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

I want to ask an example of a scoffer I read the dictionary meaning of scoffer. It states :an expression of mockery, derision, doubt, or derisive scorn; jeer.. Would that be like:

Well You used to be a virgin, youse a Christian now huh??? Hmmps. You know no man will wait for a pathetic Christian girl who's had sex before.

Is that what that means? I'm deaf so I'm very literal in a sense of emotions so. Please forgive if my question sounds... Stupid, sidewaysish.

Great thread, Lady...

I've learned that if I just go ahead and judge myself
daily (Corinths 11:31), I wouldn't be judged. That's not to say a fellow Believer cannot judge me by the Word. But more to mean judging my own thoughts/actions, asking myself if this is something God wants me to do or would be pleased with -- it keeps me from doing wrong.

If I say I love God, I will desire to live right, to thirst for more of Him -- because He is in me. When I allow God to direct my paths daily, I WILL get convicted if even my very thought grieves the Holy Spirit. It's my understanding when we stop listening to the Holy Spirit, shutting him off, not obeying, that we are rejecting God and going down that slope to a reprobate mind; the Holy Spirit will eventually leave us and the desire to please Him is no longer there. This is why communing with God daily is so important in a Christian's life.
(Psalms 51)

T
he only unpardonable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
So I believe
we can't get so messed up, God can't fix us.

The mind is the battlefield. IMHO, a Reprobate mind has NO desire to please God whatsoever.

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves . Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates ?

Hebrews 6:8
But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

Jeremiah 2:37
Hear , O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it.

I want to ask an example of a scoffer I read the dictionary meaning of scoffer. It states :an expression of mockery, derision, doubt, or derisive scorn; jeer.. Would that be like:

Well You used to be a virgin, youse a Christian now huh??? Hmmps. You know no man will wait for a pathetic Christian girl who's had sex before.

Is that what that means? I'm deaf so I'm very literal in a sense of emotions so. Please forgive if my question sounds... Stupid, sidewaysish.

I think your example is appropriate and can be included in 2Pe.2.

I love to study the Bible with concordance for a better understanding. When we look at the references for Jude 1:17, it is more about the faith, the sound doctrine preached by the apostles and the second coming of the LORD.

2Pe. 3.1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: 3.2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:

3.3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 3.4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

1Tim. 4.1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that
in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 4.2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 4.3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. 4.4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 4.5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Also please read Acts 20: 29-30; 2Pe. 2; 2Tim 3; 2Tim 4:3

Last edited:
ITA!
The bolded, word of wisdom, is our daily spiritual meal.
We don't neglect to eat for the maintenance and the health of our body.
Praying and communing with GOD is our daily spiritual bread and prevent from a reprobate mind.

Great thread, Lady...

I've learned that if I just go ahead and judge myself
daily (Corinths 11:31), I wouldn't be judged. That's not to say a fellow Believer cannot judge me by the Word. But more to mean judging my own thoughts/actions, asking myself if this is something God wants me to do or would be pleased with -- it keeps me from doing wrong.

If I say I love God, I will desire to live right, to thirst for more of Him -- because He is in me. When I allow God to direct my paths daily, I WILL get convicted if even my very thought grieves the Holy Spirit. It's my understanding when we stop listening to the Holy Spirit, shutting him off, not obeying, that we are rejecting God and going down that slope to a reprobate mind; the Holy Spirit will eventually leave us and the desire to please Him is no longer there. This is why communing with God daily is so important in a Christian's life.
(Psalms 51)

T
he only unpardonable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
So I believe
we can't get so messed up, God can't fix us.

The mind is the battlefield. IMHO, a Reprobate mind has NO desire to please God whatsoever.

For our time :

Jude 1: 17But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." 19These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit. 20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

this word scoffers is referenced as Strongs # 1703 which is defined as mockers 1, scoffers 1
it is also used in 2 Peter 3:3 and the definition is in the scripture itself

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

so the second scriptures describes scoffers as those walking in their own lust.

They are basically living in the flesh and have abanonded living and walking by the Spirit. They do what feels good and what they want in spite of what they know is right and what God wants for us.

ITA!
The bolded, word of wisdom, is our daily spiritual meal.
We don't neglect to eat for the maintenance and the health of our body.
Praying and communing with GOD is our daily spiritual bread and prevent from a reprobate mind.

Yes, our daily manna. I love the direction that this thread is going. i just know it is helping break strongholds because some will perish for lack of knowledge. . .well this thread is full of knowledge. loving the scriptural reference.

Great topic, OP!

Some of ths has been addressed already in the thread and some new. It looks to get on the topic of predestination. I got this from http://www.gotquestions.org/reprobation.html. Still sifting through it. Your thoughts?

"Reprobation is the term used to describe those who by default are left in their fallen human nature to sin and to be eternally damned. It can be the only possible consequence if, as Scripture declares, God has foreknown and chosen others to eternal life through His only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:4-5; Romans 9:24-25). In Acts 13:48, we read ‘and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.” From this, we see that the decree of reprobation is a result of unbelief or rather the decree of reprobation results in unbelief. Some theologians declare from Scripture that God foreknew some and reprobated others, prior to the Fall of Adam. This is called supralapsarianism, from the Latin for ‘supra’ meaning ‘above’ and ‘lapsus’, meaning ‘fall.’ Others maintain that foreknowledge and reprobation were decreed to happen as a consequence of the Fall, and this is termed “infralapsarianism.” .....
continued at the link above."

Decided to include more:
The existence of the state of reprobation can be deduced from the Scriptures in many places, such as Proverbs 16:4 and Jeremiah 6:30, just to name two. Although it describes the fact that God has rejected some, there is a sense in which those whom He has rejected still serve His purposes, despite their wilful rebellion. The best example is the raising up of Pharaoh in the book of Exodus. Here was a man who clearly refused to obey God, despite Moses’ repeated petitions to let the Israelites leave the land of Egypt. But the thing we note about Pharaoh is that despite his wilful obstinacy, God will nevertheless be glorified through him. Reading Exodus 9:13-16, we note that God says He could have wiped the whole of Egypt and Pharaoh out of existence were it not for His wish to demonstrate His power and make His name known throughout the earth (Exodus 14:4,31). Clearly, God will fulfil all of His eternal purposes, both through those whom He has foreknown (Philippians 2:13) and through those whom He has rejected—the reprobate (Romans 9:22). In both cases, God will receive the highest honour and glory.

Last edited:
Great topic, OP!

Some of ths has been addressed already in the thread and some new. It looks to get on the topic of predestination. I got this from http://www.gotquestions.org/reprobation.html. Still sifting through it. Your thoughts?

"Reprobation is the term used to describe those who by default are left in their fallen human nature to sin and to be eternally damned. It can be the only possible consequence if, as Scripture declares, God has foreknown and chosen others to eternal life through His only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:4-5; Romans 9:24-25). In Acts 13:48, we read ‘and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.” From this, we see that the decree of reprobation is a result of unbelief or rather the decree of reprobation results in unbelief. Some theologians declare from Scripture that God foreknew some and reprobated others, prior to the Fall of Adam. This is called supralapsarianism, from the Latin for ‘supra’ meaning ‘above’ and ‘lapsus’, meaning ‘fall.’ Others maintain that foreknowledge and reprobation were decreed to happen as a consequence of the Fall, and this is termed “infralapsarianism.” .....
continued at the link above."

Um... HUH?

In case anyone is interested. Single, not double predestination: http://www.gotquestions.org/double-predestination.html:

"Notice that God elects certain people beforehand for His glory. In other words, before the foundation of the world God chose certain people to be His children in order that He would be glorified (see Ephesians 1:4). It does not say that God chose people to damnation or predestined people to wrath. The Bible never speaks about a double predestination where God elects or predestinates some to hell, others to heaven. "

I am not Calvinist or other ist.

I believe in election and predestination, it is clearly stated in the Bible (Rom. 8:29-30; Eph. 1:5-11…). But this is from the view of YHWH who is everlasting and knows all before the beginning.

For we, humans, it is :
Philippiens 2.12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

As humans, I think election/predestination can only be a personal belief, an encouragement to keep the faith.
This means compassion (passion /agape love for others) knowing that someone can be saved up to the last breath.

A reprobate mind : is this a permanent condition?
Yes and No.
Yes if it is a sin against the Holy Spirit : blasphemy (Mat. 12:31).
Yes or no in other cases. If we consider 1Cor. 5 for example, we could say this person has a permanent reprobate mind. Then, we see in 2Cor.2 that it is not the case.

[FONT=&quot]We have to be very careful when it is question of salvation (or damnation) and not put ourselves in the place of the LORD because we don’t know/view as HIM He knows/views.[/FONT]

I am not Calvinist or other ist.

I believe in election and predestination, it is clearly stated in the Bible (Rom. 8:29-30; Eph. 1:5-11…). But this is from the view of YHWH who is everlasting and knows all before the beginning.

For we, humans, it is :
Philippiens 2.12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

As humans, I think election/predestination can only be a personal belief, an encouragement to keep the faith.
This means compassion (passion /agape love for others) knowing that someone can be saved up to the last breath.

A reprobate mind : is this a permanent condition?
Yes and No.
Yes if it is a sin against the Holy Spirit : blasphemy (Mat. 12:31).
Yes or no in other cases. If we consider 1Cor. 5 for example, we could say this person has a permanent reprobate mind. Then, we see in 2Cor.2 that it is not the case.

[FONT=&quot]We have to be very careful when it is question of salvation (or damnation) and not put ourselves in the place of the LORD because we don’t know/view as HIM He knows/views.[/FONT]

:yep: Yes, there are lots of scriptures that support predestination and other scriptures that clearly indicate that God has given each individual a choice.....and also that people can fall away from the faith.

:yep: Yes, there are lots of scriptures that support predestination and other scriptures that clearly indicate that God has given each individual a choice.....and also that people can fall away from the faith.
I think we are in agreement. No contradiction in the Word. This is why I said : from the view of YHWH (or Ayer Asher Ayer if you want).
I think Paul explained it very well in Rom. Chapters 8 and 9.

Rom. 9 : 11 (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), 12 it was said to her, “The older shall serve the younger.” 13 As it is written, Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated.”n made like unto Gomorrha.
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.” 18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

But, we, humans, don’t have the right to decide who is for what, who has a permanent reprobate mind or not.

I think we are in agreement. No contradiction in the Word. This is why I said : from the view of YHWH (or Ayer Asher Ayer if you want).
I think Paul explained it very well in Rom. Chapters 8 and 9.

Rom. 9 : 11 (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), 12 it was said to her, “The older shall serve the younger.” 13 As it is written, Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated.”n made like unto Gomorrha.
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.” 18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.
19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

But, we, humans, don’t have the right to decide who is for what, who has a permanent reprobate mind or not.

Crown, thanks for all the supporting scriptures, I know exactly what you are talking about because I myself had become a 'self-proclaimed' Calvinist, which is a doctrine that is based on the christian belief of election and one of the central beliefs is Predestination. But upon further study I found that truly God is not a respector of persons (acts 10:34) and salvation is available for "whomsoever" desires to be saved (John 3:36). God did not die for the sins of certain people, the word says in John 2, 'He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." If I get some more time I will try to explain it more and post more solid scriptures. I believe the doctrine of predestination is dangerous because it actually demotivated me from sharing the gospel because i felt :ohwell:"why bother, if it's already predetermined" *shrug*. Anyhow, I will try to explain at a later time. I do belief that God foreknew us and predestined us, but ultimately we still must decide to choose. We all have free will.

We touched on the topic of predestination in one of my classes. I'll have to remember which one and pull out my text book and notes from the class. There was some great discussion and scriptural backup for the facts. We came to a conclusion that God is in charge but not in control. Which seemed OFF at first, but it was explained like this: He is in charge, like a parent who is the head, however, God(just like a parent) allows us to have self control and make choices and decisions while still being under his umbrella. We are in control of whether or not we choose salvation.

We touched on the topic of predestination in one of my classes. I'll have to remember which one and pull out my text book and notes from the class. There was some great discussion and scriptural backup for the facts. We came to a conclusion that God is in charge but not in control. Which seemed OFF at first, but it was explained like this: He is in charge, like a parent who is the head, however, God(just like a parent) allows us to have self control and make choices and decisions while still being under his umbrella. We are in control of whether or not we choose salvation.

The only thing i can say is that "it's complicated" lol. God grants us free will, yet nothing can happen unless he allows it. :spinning: But he is God, so these things can be true all at once. I can't comprehend all of it.

Interesting... I always saw it as He knows the outcome, but we don't and we are supposed to operate that way. Or, as my brother puts it, "God created the movie; we are living the playback."

^^ I like that. and yes, he knows the outcomes of the outcomes of every possible outcome. BUT he doesn't force us into anything which is the most awesome part I love about God.

He could easily make us all into robots who just did his will and i'm sure it'd be fine, but he allows us to make choices and learn and grow and love him because we do, and not because he forces us to.

I love me some Him

got this in my inbox today. . .it seems fitting to thie conversation we are having

Romans 8

5For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Interesting... I always saw it as He knows the outcome, but we don't and we are supposed to operate that way. Or, as my brother puts it, "God created the movie; we are living the playback."

I think this is what counts! Whether He has chosen some, it is Him that knows who and the outcome. Not us. We should continue to operate that way as you say. E.g., continue evangelizing, continue "working out our salvation", etc.

Back