Reprobate Mind Romans 1:28

HeChangedMyName

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

So, is this a permanent condition? I feel like so many Christians are suffereing from this condition and just don't know it. :nono: All the while misrepresenting the body of Christ with sinful lives.

Let's discuss

Scripture search results:

Jeremiah 6:30
Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the LORD hath rejected them.

Strongs Concordance # 3988 and definition--to reject, despise, refuse

2 Timothy 3:8
Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Strongs Concordance #96 and definition--not standing the test, not approved
properly used of metals and coins
that which does not prove itself such as it ought
unfit for, unproved, spurious, reprobate

Titus 1:16
They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Strongs 96

from Romans 1:28 reprobate is used

Strongs 96

Last edited:
2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves . Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates ?

Hebrews 6:8
But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

Jeremiah 2:37
Hear , O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it.

2 Corinthians 10:5
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Proverbs 4:23
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Job 17:11
My days are past , my purposes are broken off , even the thoughts of my heart.(I find it interesting that the heart is refered to as thinking, rather than feeling

1 Chronicles 28:9
And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

1 Chronicles 29:17
I know also, my God, that thou triest the heart, and hast pleasure in uprightness. As for me, in the uprightness of mine heart I have willingly offered all these things: and now have I seen with joy thy people, which are present here, to offer willingly unto thee.

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Sorry, that video annoyed me. I hate "carrot-dangling" to get one to buy something unneeded.

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

2 Corinthians 13:5-7 Examine yourselves, whether you be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know you not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except you be reprobates? But I trust that you shall know that we are not reprobates. Now I pray to God that you do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that you should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

2 Timothy 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and to every good work reprobate.

Hebrews 6:8 But that which bears thorns and briers is rejected, and is near to cursing; whose end is to be burned.

A reprobate mind is a mindset in which one knows the truth but rejects it in action. This involves more than the sexual sins pastors tend to focus on.

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves . Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates ?

Hebrews 6:8
But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

Jeremiah 2:37
Hear , O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it.

Yes, I read somewhere in Tiimothy about having your "conscience seared" with a hot iron and being hypocrites.

Last edited:
Sorry, that video annoyed me. I hate "carrot-dangling" to get one to buy something unneeded.

A reprobate mind is a mindset in which one knows the truth but rejects it in action. This involves more than the sexual sins pastors tend to focus on.

Oh you just reminded me of another scripture, 2 Timothy 3:5
talks about those "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof."

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

So, is this a permanent condition? I feel like so many Christians are suffereing from this condition and just don't know it. :nono: All the while misrepresenting the body of Christ with sinful lives.

Let's discuss

I am studying this and I AM STILL NOT getting it
something in my brain or heart ain't clicking and I just asked YHWH to remove anything the fog in my brain... I don't know maybe I have to keep at this until something clicks
I want to be a person WHO LIVES what she speaks reasearches and prays
not just speak about it
because anyone can write pretty words
i admit i struggle in this area in some ways...
i guess I will keep hacking at it.

I wrote a new blog.. i invite you to join and comment it has partially to do with this tread.

Yes, I read somewhere in Tiimothy about having your "conscience seared" with a hot iron and being hypocrites.

1 Timothy 4:1-2
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

studies on seared conscience
http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/1811/Conscience-Seared.htm

a bit too much to repost but here is a bit

Ezekiel 18:24-28 (Go to this verse :: Verse pop-up)
There is an individual responsibility. God never condones sin nor grants license for anyone to disobey His commands. This is not speaking about our transgressions done out of weakness or ignorance. These are transgressions that are done as a way of life with knowledge that one is doing wrong. However, God always allows the sinner to repent. He will always chase after the sinner with His Word, giving him the opportunity to turn around. We see that in the lives of the kings Joash, Amaziah, and Uzziah. God always leaves the door open for a sinner who desires to repent. If he does not repent, his mind eventually becomes set, seared, and over time, repentance becomes impossible.​

Read more: http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm...g/ID/1811/Conscience-Seared.htm#ixzz0sq44X1me

something in my brain or heart ain't clicking and I just asked YHWH to remove anything the fog in my brain... I don't know maybe I have to keep at this until something clicks
not just speak about it

I wrote a new blog.. i invite you to join and comment it has partially to do with this tread.

Hmmmnn....I'm not sure this applies to you, this is just conjecture but i think a reprobate mind is one that never feels guilty sin. They have convinced themselves that it's okay. Let me look it up.

Ezekiel 18:24-28 (Go to this verse :: Verse pop-up)
There is an individual responsibility. God never condones sin nor grants license for anyone to disobey His commands. This is not speaking about our transgressions done out of weakness or ignorance. These are transgressions that are done as a way of life with knowledge that one is doing wrong. However, God always allows the sinner to repent. He will always chase after the sinner with His Word, giving him the opportunity to turn around. We see that in the lives of the kings Joash, Amaziah, and Uzziah. God always leaves the door open for a sinner who desires to repent. If he does not repent, his mind eventually becomes set, seared, and over time, repentance becomes impossible.

This is beginning to make a little more sense... so reprobate can mean someone who is CONSTANTLY running around and sinning but saying LAWRT LAWRT I IS OOOOOOO SOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOLLLLY (but behind closed doors i'm embezzling, i'm fornicating(sexually) i'm worshipping other idols, I'm lying, i'm plotting murder in my heart. but in public imma be like LAWRT LAWRT THOU ART WORTHY AND IMMA SPEAK GOOD THAAAAAAAAANGGGS ova people! HALLELUYURT! (am i getting it? i know i'm being quite over dramatic but this is what i am evisioning am i wayyy of track or am i getting it?) and it happens so often YHWH goes oh well you made your choice moving on!

^^luthiengirlie, that's what I take it to be also. A person who knows better, but refuses to do better, according to the Truth that is God's Word.

not just speak about it
Here are some examples:

Someone who tends to speak about a certain sin a bit too much is discovered to be actually involved in that sin.

A person tithes to their wealthy church without fail until financial strife befalls, but cannot receive any help from said church. What is the point of that church's existence, then?

A person continues in a sin as His Spirit tries to help her overcome it. At some point, God will step aside and leave her to it.

QUESTION

So if person has been given to a reprobate mind and they are not even concerned with it, and thus living how they want with ZERO concern for God's Word. . . .are they still a Christian?

Okay, I don't know for sure what a reprobabte mind is but let's just look at some scriptures that talk about it. Here is the main one I know of, and I found some supporting scrpitures.

Romans 1:18

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but because vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four footed beasts, and creeping things.

Wherefore God also gave them up to unclenness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature, (Satan) more than the Creator, (God) who is blessed for ever. A-men. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debaie, deceit, malignity; whispers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understnding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: Who knowing the judgment such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

I know there are more examples in the end but the two the church likes to harp on and everyone understands is fornication and homosexuality. There are some homosexuals and fornicators who wholeheartedly believe that they are alright but truly they are in the hands of an angry God. God has given them over to a reprobabte mind. If you still feel guilty over sin, I don't think your mind is reprobate.

QUESTION

So if person has been given to a reprobate mind and they are not even concerned with it, and thus living how they want with ZERO concern for God's Word. . . .are they still a Christian?

I can't answer that question but if I were in that situation I would be extremely CONCERNED. The bible says examine yourselves, to see if you are of the faith:yep:. All I know is that the bible says some people who have cast out demons, God will tell them on judgement day "I never knew you..." sounds like church folks to me:nono:.

Last edited:
^^Sidney, I posted the Strongs definitions of reprobate up above. and It seems that lack of guilt and conviction is a precurser to being turned over to a reprobate mind

I also think that genuine guilt/conviction are it. So many people can demonstrate conviction without actually feeling it in their hearts. Conviction makes you stop.

That first long scripture was Romans 1 :18, I should have posted in in message or NIV because that king james one is kind of hard to read. Anyway, here is more supporting scriptures with the phrase "reprobate" to help us define it.

II Corinthians 13:5 -7 Examine yourselves whether ye be in faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates. Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

II Timothy 3:8 Now as Jan-nes and Jam-bres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth; men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

I can't answer that question but if I were in that situation I would be extremely CONCERNED. The bible says examine yourselves, to see if you are of the faith:yep:. All I know is that the bible says some people who have cast out demons, God will tell them "I never knew you..." sounds like church folks to me:nono:.

You ain't neva lied!
The Word of the Lord did say. . . .

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

uhmmm hmmm

I think when we all make it to the other side of eternity we may be surprised at both who is with us and who ISN'T

^^Sidney, I posted the Strongs definitions of reprobate up above. and It seems that lack of guilt and conviction is a precurser to being turned over to a reprobate mind

I also think that genuine guilt/conviction are it. So many people can demonstrate conviction without actually feeling it in their hearts. Conviction makes you stop.

Oh okay, I was trying to figure out what "strongs" LOL

II Corinthians 13:5 -7 Examine yourselves whether ye be in faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates. Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

From this scripture what is standing out to me is

Examine yourself
Prove yourself
Know thyself
Trust God
Pray to God

These are all action verbs. Coming to this knowledge about yourself isn't automatic and wont necessarily fall down on you like a revelation from God.

You ain't neva lied!
The Word of the Lord did say. . . .

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

uhmmm hmmm

I think when we all make it to the other side of eternity we may be surprised at both who is with us and who ISN'T

It's very easy to try to re-write the word. I'm glad you brought it up. I know its unpopular to talk about sin even among some christians but I would rather know it and not be surpised on judgement day. I think it's also important for other not to let people think what they do is okay....you're doing them more harm than good and I wouldn't want to be accountable for what may happen to them. I'm not saying bible thump but just don't give people security in their sin.

HERE IT IS IN PRINT for those who honestly haven't seen in print what God's word says:

“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)

NOTICE The past tense of the word WERE, he did not say, and such ARE some of you.

If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination.” (Leviticus 20:13)

Last edited:
so reprobate is used to described silver that is rejected for impurities . . .How is silver purified? FIRE!

Psalm 66:10 For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried.

Gold is too

1 Peter 1:7
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

and the Word of the Lord IS pure

Psalm 12:6
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

Psalm 119:9-11
Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

It's very easy to try to re-write the word. I'm glad you brought it up. I know its unpopular to talk about sin even among some christians but I would rather know it and not be surpised on judgement day. I think it's also important for other not to let people think what they do is okay....you're doing them more harm than good and I wouldn't want to be accountable for what may happen to them. I'm not saying bible thump but just don't give people security in their sin.

HERE IT IS IN PRINT for those who honestly haven't seen in print what God's word says:

“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived, neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)

NOTICE The past tense of the word WERE, he did not say, and such ARE some of you.

If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination.” (Leviticus 20:13)

I think reading what TENSE the Word of God is speaking in is very important and often is overlooked. Some things are present tense, and some things are past tense. Some things are future tense. But when we don't understand that, we can miss the message.

I love YHWH! He's a fog clearer

He is so merciful. When I go to Him upset that I cannot understand something that His Word states. Like a father who loves his child is paitent and explains until the child gets an understanding.

It moves the heart of the Most High when we are desperate and seek Him desperately to clarify and understand His scriptures.

I have a hard time understanding things sometimes in His Word and on occasion I've gone to Him crying saying Adonai I don't understand this. And He wipes my tears and helps me understand!

Isn't He AWESOME!!!

QUESTION

Given how that label has been trivialized, maybe we should figure out what to do if the person does not turn away from the sin. Paul and company favored turning the person out of the assembly and not keep company with him or her (1 Corinthians 5).

Given how that label has been trivialized, maybe we should figure out what to do if the person does not turn away from the sin. Paul and company favored turning the person out of the assembly and not keep company with him or her (1 Corinthians 5).

ooooo, good call that could be a whole thread right there. . .the definition of Christian. hmmmmmm and I have witnessed the booting of a person sinning against the body. it wasn't pretty BUT God was there in the midst.

Back