Relaxed with matted hair....Help please!!

Salsarisma

Last night was my "wash" night and I followed my normal routine, with only one tweak. I pre-pooed with wheat germ, avocado oil, avocado butter, and coconut oil. Normally I use AOHSR as my base, but I was out, so I used Skala Fruit Cocktail instead. I clarified with my normal clarifying Ion Shampoo followed by a moisture shampoo: Shea Moisture Yucca shampoo. Then I applied my staple DC which is UBH and sat under the dryer for 30 minutes. I rinsed this out and did a final cold quickie rinse with Tressemme Moisture Rich. I do this EVERY week with the Fruit Coctail being the only change.

Now when I washed out the Tressemme, I applied my leave-ins and noticed that my hair was matting something awful! I freaked out because I have NEVER had this happen. So I applied some porosity control and conditioner and took my time detangling. Needless to say, I lost A LOT of hair. I have no idea why this happened and I have no idea what I should do next. Is it protein overload since I used Aphogee 2 step last week (I do this every 8 weeks or so)? Or could the Skala really have caused this? And most importantly, what should I do next. Today, my hair feels like straw and is puffy.

Any advice is greatly appreciated ladies. I feel about ready to throw in the towel.

Sounds like the Skala did it:nono:.....after Momo's experience with it i'm stayin away from Skala....i'm too scared to try it.

But if that was the only thing that changed then that's your culprit.

^^Wow! SmilingElephant, I am shocked that so much damage could come from that. I'm throwing that ish away as soon as I get home. Should I just do a moisture treatment tonight? My hair looks like straw:-(

This is my opinion......i think maybe you should clarify shampoo again....after making sure you got the VAST majority of the mattes out.....and then put on your moisturizing deep conditioner and let it sit like u usually do.

Are you in the middle of a stretch or your hair just out of the blue matted up something fierce?

It was probably the Skala FC. It is my least favorite of all the masques. The jar says that it is for "all" hair types, but I don't agree. It provides a limited amount of moisture and it is the one masque that most of the Skala users do not like. Sorry to hear this and I hope that you can recover quickly.

This is my opinion......i think maybe you should clarify shampoo again....after making sure you got the VAST majority of the mattes out.....and then put on your moisturizing deep conditioner and let it sit like u usually do.

Are you in the middle of a stretch or your hair just out of the blue matted up something fierce?

I normally stretch for 12-16 weeks, and my last stretch was 26 weeks...so no, I'm only eight weeks post right now. I'm going to do my normal moisture dc tonight and pray!

To reiterate what SmilingElephant said, make sure the tangles are out before you get your hair wet again! washing tangled hair will only make the matting worse and may cause an even bigger setback. good luck!

It was probably the Skala FC. It is my least favorite of all the masques. The jar says that it is for "all" hair types, but I don't agree. It provides a limited amount of moisture and it is the one masque that most of the Skala users do not like. Sorry to hear this and I hope that you can recover quickly.

Me too Americka! I'm just shocked that one product can cause so much damage. I almost lost it when I saw matting. Like wth??
thanks girl

Me too Americka! I'm just shocked that one product can cause so much damage. I almost lost it when I saw matting. Like wth??
thanks girl

You're welcome! Just follow the excellent advice given by SmilingElephant and Allicat and you should be good as new. Make sure you throw that FC away and update us on how things are going. :yep:

sounds like it was the skala since that's all that was different....swap it with someone ont he board or sell it. sorry this happened to ya.

Thanks for the advice ladies!! I detangled my dry hair really well and applied a pre poo treatment of castor/coconut oil for about an hour. I did a clarifying wash and sat under the dryer for 30 minutes with Silk Elements conditioner. My hair was revived. It came out soft and moist this time! Never again SKALA....or any other "no reputation" brand of products. I know lots of ladies like it, but it is not for me. I'm sticking to what I know works from now on out. I don't care what new product anyone raves about.

sounds like it was the skala since that's all that was different....swap it with someone ont he board or sell it. sorry this happened to ya.

Girl, I threw that stuff in the trash yesterday!

I'm glad you were able to correct the issue, hopefully you didn't lose too much hair in the process!

Thanks girl! It doesn't look like too much damage was done. And at least the breakage stopped. Lesson learned!

I'm glad you got it back on track too!!:woohoo:

Now.......SHAME ON YOU FOR HOPPING ON THE WAGON!!!...:spank:....with LOVE!!...lol!:grin:

Bahahaha! I soooo deserve that! **Bending over now**

I'm sorry, but I have a different opinion. I think you're using too much product period. Sometimes stuff will work for a while but then your hair starts to fight back.

I'm responding because I am a UBH conditioner user too. This Deep Conditioner is strong and leaves the hair heavy with product until you moisturize it after. Personally I can't imagine putting on anything but UBH DC, then a quick moisturizing conditioner.

I just think your hair got loaded. Clarify and start all over with one protein DC a week, a moisturizing conditioner, a leave in or smoother and leave it at that.

Back