Relaxed heads that wash their hair more than 1x/week?

Aireen

I wash my hair every 7-10 days and air-dry after, I'm looking to wash more frequently. I was wondering if there were any relaxed heads like myself that wash with shampoo more often than every 7 days? I'm constantly hearing about misconceptions concerning washing hair every day or every other day so I'm a little skeptical about using shampoo on a more regular basis. Any benefits you've noticed from becoming a consistent washer? I also plan to pair this with repeated deep conditioning sessions. Anyway, thanks in advance for your responses.

:hiya:
Hair buddy! :)
Other than my 1x a week shampoo, I give my hair a good co-wash around mid-week just to ensure that I'm giving my hair an extra boost of moisture, softness and manageability. After that I apply my leave-ins and coconut oil, then I air-dry inna bun.

Hope this helps!

When I was relaxed bone straight, I washed maybe once per week with a gentle shampoo like CON green label (back then it was not on the verge of being discontinued so I used it generously), and I co-washed daily. Yes, daily. I would wet-bun and go to work. My hair grew to be thick MBL, but after a while I got tired of daily CW and just CW 2-3 times per week. Using the shampoo once per week and CW daily just kept the buildup at bay...and I had no probs with my hair or scalp.

I use shampoo 2x a week with no problems. My hair is fine and the only reason I would change is if I just didn't have the time to do it.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

I shampoo daily or every other day with no problems. My siggy pic is from when I first got here in 2009 and my hair is BSL now, so no problems here. Hmmm, I should probably update my siggy lol.

Hi Hair Buddy! :wave: Thank you everyone for your responses, they did help since I do have a slight interest in co-washing.

I shampoo daily or every other day with no problems. My siggy pic is from when I first got here in 2009 and my hair is BSL now, so no problems here. Hmmm, I should probably update my siggy lol.

imaccami - This is more of the feedback I was looking for. How do you deal with washing your hair when you have new growth though? I stretch my relaxers for 16 weeks at a time. What about detangling? Since hair is more fragile when wet this is a major concern for me as well.

Well, my detangling time does increase, but I don't stretch beyond 3 months.

I guess my answer is that I just take the extra time for detangling. Right after the relaxer I can detangle my whole head in like 30 secs to a minute, when 3 months have gone by and it's time for my relaxer it takes about, hmmm I don't think I've ever really noticed. Maybe 10 minutes, maybe less.

I've never really timed it, I've just noticed that it takes longer for my hair to dry and detangle the longer ago my relaxer was.

That's why I can't stretch for longer than 3 months, the one time I tried it I had so much breakage it was ridiculous. Maybe if you want to shampoo more often you have to decrease your stretching time a little bit.

Hair is more fragile when wet that's true, I just am always very careful when detangling. I detangle gently so that I don't hear any pops or snaps. But, that time I stretched I had crazy breakage, no matter how careful I was.

I'm an advocate of a low-shampoo regimen...once a week or less is best for me personally :yep: Any more frequent than that and my hair feels dry...Aireen what if you up your conditioning but omit shampoo? for example DC on dry hair then co-wash it out?

Well, my detangling time does increase, but I don't stretch beyond 3 months.

I guess my answer is that I just take the extra time for detangling. Right after the relaxer I can detangle my whole head in like 30 secs to a minute, when 3 months have gone by and it's time for my relaxer it takes about, hmmm I don't think I've ever really noticed. Maybe 10 minutes, maybe less.

I've never really timed it, I've just noticed that it takes longer for my hair to dry and detangle the longer ago my relaxer was.

That's why I can't stretch for longer than 3 months, the one time I tried it I had so much breakage it was ridiculous. Maybe if you want to shampoo more often you have to decrease your stretching time a little bit.

Hair is more fragile when wet that's true, I just am always very careful when detangling. I detangle gently so that I don't hear any pops or snaps. But, that time I stretched I had crazy breakage, no matter how careful I was.

imaccami

Our detangling times are the same. I've never really timed it either so I was expecting an estimate like you provided.

Well stretching is a big part of my regimen, I notice a lot more growth during stretches. I may just decrease my washes during the time that I need to stretch since I never feel the urge to wash while my growth is evident — due to the hassle of a longer detangling time.

Thank you for your input, you gave me a lot to think about! :grin: I probably won't end up washing my hair everyday but washing 2-3 times a week will satisfy me compared to every 7-10 days.

I'm an advocate of a low-shampoo regimen...once a week or less is best for me personally :yep: Any more frequent than that and my hair feels dry...Aireen what if you up your conditioning but omit shampoo? for example DC on dry hair then co-wash it out?

Yeah, you sparked a thought, AlliCat! :grin: I would hate to put regular conditioner on my scalp but I do have a dandruff conditioner that works miracles for me that I put on my scalp anyway that I would love to use for co-washes. Thanks, girl! :grin: If I do decide to increase my shampoo washes, I'll definitely do this as an alternative when my new growth has sprouted. Either way, you gave me an idea that I will be using on days I want my hair a bit cleaner. :yep:

Last edited:
I 'rarely' use Shampoo (either to Clarify or Neutralize) but in the Summer, I usually up my Cowashing to twice a week.:yep:

I've just discovered "Cleansing Creams" and it's giving me the best of both worlds. The Cleansing of a 'Poo AND the Moisturizing of a Conditioner.

Yep. I'm Hooked!

Aireen
I think that's a good compromise, maybe in the first month or two after the relaxer you can wash a few times the week and then decrease as you get further into your stretch.

Update us so we know how it turned out. :yep:

I do as needed i mostly co wash BUT when i do it is with a sulfate free shampoo if i used alot of cones I pre poo with a thick conditioner ( or light oil) before i use a sulfate poo always i think my hair has retained more moisture

I use WEN every 4 to 7 days depending on how I feel. I don't really have a schedule to cleanse my hair. But I will say that since switching from regular shampoo to WEN, I no longer have the dryness issues from using shampoo to frequently.

I shampoo w/DC on Saturdays.
Co-wash on Mondays and Wednesdays.
I dry DC on Thursdays.

I work out 3-4 times a week and I'm a serious head-sweater!
For some odd reason my hair is still curly after being recently relaxed. So I do wash n go's every time, except on Saturdays when I use heat to dry and flat iron.

I find that I'm able to stretch longer. I didn't know I was 12 weeks post until I checked my calendar and realized that I hadn't relaxed my hair since early December.

I 'rarely' use Shampoo (either to Clarify or Neutralize) but in the Summer, I usually up my Cowashing to twice a week.:yep:

I've just discovered "Cleansing Creams" and it's giving me the best of both worlds. The Cleansing of a 'Poo AND the Moisturizing of a Conditioner.

Yep. I'm Hooked!

Ooooh, interesting! The conditioner I was telling AlliCat about seems to act similarly to the cleansing creams you speak of. :yep:

I shampoo w/DC on Saturdays.
Co-wash on Mondays and Wednesdays.
I dry DC on Thursdays.

I work out 3-4 times a week and I'm a serious head-sweater!
For some odd reason my hair is still curly after being recently relaxed. So I do wash n go's every time, except on Saturdays when I use heat to dry and flat iron.

I find that I'm able to stretch longer. I didn't know I was 12 weeks post until I checked my calendar and realized that I hadn't relaxed my hair since early December.

This is encouraging, pink gator! :scratchch Any particular co-washing conditioners have helped you through your stretching periods? I have enough but it's good to keep an opened mind. :look: :yep:

Last edited:
Because of time constraints, I'm down to shampooing 1x a week. I just upped my cowashing instead.

I shampoo 2x now and sometimes cowash in between. I like this much better than shampooing once a week. My scalp feels cleaner and my dandruff is kept at bay.

I wash with shampoo and deep condition once per week. I just don't have the time or desire to do much else. In the winter I do notice that I have to wash every 5 days as my hair tends to get dryer sooner.

Back