Relaxed heads - Do you use Sulfate free shampoos?

taz007

Do you use sulfate free shampoos? If so, which ones do you use?

Do you see/feel a difference in your hair? If so, please describe in detail!

TIA!:grin:

I do and I will come back and post which one(s) because I am notrorius for renaming products. :lol: Right now I have some Honey and Oatmeal poo in my shower.

My hair isn't as tangled or as dry since using SLS free poos.

I use Hair One cleansing condish instead of shampoo and it is sulfate free. I can's really say that I see a difference, Ive been using it for 2 months now so maybe I have to keep using it a little longer before I make a final judgment. Right now the only reason why I keep buying it is because I like the way it makes my scalp tingle.

Last edited:
I use Aubrey Organics and Hair One. I have noticed a difference. My new growth is not as dry and detangles easier than before like Tee said. Im pretty sure the sulfate free is what is making the difference since that is the only thing I have changed in my regimen.

Good question OP! I was wondering the same thing because I am seriously thinking about switching over in an effort to retain more moisture. I would love to hear recommendations from everyone.

Do you use sulfate free shampoos? If so, which ones do you use?
-Yep, never going back. I use Shescentit Tea Tree Shampoo.

Do you see/feel a difference in your hair? If so, please describe in detail!
-My hair is SOFTER, more manageable and doesn't mat anymore, it has gotten sooo much thicker and its shine is awesome.

Right now, I use whatever I have on hand. I am in the process of reforming my pjism, so i've mixed up a bunch of shampoos that I had and am using what is on hand.

I use non-SLS shampoo on my scalp and CON on the length of my hair (scrunch it in like gel and rinse it out). This works for me and keeps my scalp healthy.

Taz, I use quite a few and the ones I like are Avalon Organics Biotin B-Complex Thickening Shampoo - my fave right now because it is not drying at all and smells delish-ous:lick:.

I also like Jason Natural Jojoba Shampoo
Jason Natural Biotin Shampoo
J/A/S/O/N Thin to Thick Extra Volume Shampoo
J/A/S/O/N Jojoba and Lemongrass Color Treated Shampoo
Beauty Without Cruelty Rosemary Mint Tea Tree Shampoo
Creme Of Nature Ultra-Moisturizing & Detangling Shampoo - green label
Creme Of Nature Moisturizing and Detangling Shampoo - red label
Mills Creek Keratin Shampoo
Giovanni Smooth As Silk Shampoo
Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
Aubrey Organics GPB Shampoo
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo among others

I must admit that some of them like my J/A/S/O/N Thin to Thick Extra Volume Shampoo leaves a bit of stripping feeling to my hair but as soon as the conditioner touches it, soft, silky hair immediately follows.

I have to admit that my hair once dried does not have that dull dried out feeling like it used to when I use sulfate poos. My hair behaves a lot better than it used to when I only used sulfate poos.

I am trying to make all my poos sulfate-free with the exception of my neutralizing poo after a relaxer. I am still working on driving the rest of them slowly out of my regimen.

Last edited:
I bought some Dr. Bonners soap and added oil and water....It cleans pretty good.

I tried Organix Coconut and also Pomergrante, they are ok.

I also Co-wash, never using regular shampoo again :nono:

I really want to try Loreal EverPure Sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, also says that they are moisturizing :lick:

right now I just have sulfate poos. I would like to swith, but I need to finish these first.
would it be bad to use them as shower gel to get rid of them? lol

I tried the shescentit hemp poo and i liked it. I might buy the full size soon

right now I just have sulfate poos. I would like to swith, but I need to finish these first.

I do but not on my feminine "delicacy" area:grin:, you could also clean the tub with them if you like:yep:.

I just picked up Shed No More sulfate free shampoo at a local BSS a couple of days ago. Used it before Motions Moisture Plus deep condish. I've only used it once so far, so I can't talk about noticing a difference. It lathered up very nicely...I didn't expect that (thought it would kinda lay on my hair like cowashing). It's a conditioning poo though, so I'm wondering if it might be con overkill before DC? My hair didn't feel particularly soft after using it but felt strong (the soy protein maybe?) so I wouldn't use it alone as a poo/con combo. Wondering if I should try Aubrey Organics? My hair really loves my Cream of Nature Kiwi & Citrus, sulfates and all...I can always feel my NG drinking it in and melting. Are sulfates really all THAT bad?? LOL

I do but not on my feminine "delicacy" area:grin:, you could also clean the tub with them if you like:yep:.

I am the same as Aggie. I have but not in the 'lady' places. My DH use the SLS poos. He doesn't care. :lol: I also use to them to wash paint brushes and the dog too sometimes.

I definitely have more shampoo's with sulfate's then without. However, the sulfate shampoo's I use are not stripping nor do they significantly dry out my hair and my hair always comes out feeling soft and nice after shampooing; I'd like to find a couple of good sulfate free shampoo's to really see if I notice a difference, though.

Yes definitely!!! Before I started looking up hair care forums the ends of my hair crackled like pop corn and the minute i changed to sulfate free shampoos I noticed an instant difference. I use Logona Organics restorative shampoo which has fantastic moisturising abilities and I recently started using Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose shampoo. I've added jojoba oil, rosemary and eucalyptus oil to both shampoos as well.

I use my old sulphate shampoos to wash my combs and brushes as well as the bottles I mix my concoctions in. :)

i do. i've tried a ton of brands, but the only liquid sulfate-free shampoo that really gets along with my hair is MOP C System Hydrating Shampoo, in the orange bottle. it doesn't make my hair feel stripped or too clean, which is good.

i wanted to love Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo, but i'm transitioning, and it has no slip whatsoever. i may try it again after adding silk amino acids to it.

aside from that, i stick to shikakai shampoo bars. i will clarify every so often with nexxus aloe rid, mostly because i love the smell.

I got rid off all my sulfate containing shampoos 4 months ago when I joined LHCF and I haven't looked back! I currently use Loreal Ever Pure sulfate free moisturizing shampoo. I notice my hair is clean but not squeky clean like before when I was using regular shampoos. My hair no longer feel rough or wirey after I rinse out my shampoo.

I've also read good reviews for Tigi Bed Head Superstar shampoo so I might try that in the future.

The next tweak to my regimen is to go cone free, although I'm not really worried about cones in small amounts. Its been a challege finding an abundance of both cone and sulfate free products.I've recently see Jane Carter Solution, Aubrey Organics, Jason,Alba, Giovanni, Abba, and Nature's Gate products at Vitamin Shoppe, most of the products in these lines are sulfate free.

I use my old sulfate shampoos to clean makeup brushes, and cleanse product build-up from hair brushes, combs, hair ties and head bands.

Most of my old shampoos were pretty cheap so it really didn't hurt my pockets to get rid of them(I do hate waste though). I wonder if you were to dilute the shampoo could you just use it to clarify and it not be harmful?

Last edited:
Have any relaxed heads had success shampooing with black soap?

I love it and share mine with a couple of natural friends and they loved it for their hair especially and that is all they will use now for their shampoo

I gave some to my friend that was relaxed she was not happy at all :nono: I did a search and could only find one person with relaxed hair that liked it.

Thanks in advance?

I love it and share mine with a couple of natural friends and they loved it for their hair especially and that is all they will use now for their shampoo

I gave some to my friend that was relaxed she was not happy at all :nono: I did a search and could only find one person with relaxed hair that liked it.

Thanks in advance?

I used black soap a couple of time to wash my hair. It felt nice but I still didn't feel comfortable using it. black soap dry my skin a lot. I didn't want it to dry my scalp.

I do use sulfate free shampoo. my hair is not as harsh after shampooing. I only got to use the brand that came with my BKT. I'm not buying anymore as long as I still have some from BKT packages.

I tried the sulfate free route for two years. I didn't like the majority of the ones that I tried. They made my hair feel rough, sometimes stripped and my strands stuck together like velcro. A couple of them (old formula con and MOP in the orange bottle) made my hair soft but left a filmy coated feeling on my scalp and in my hair. Activate hydrate(discontinued) and old formula design essentials(new formula has ALS) were the only brands that worked for me. I don't consider wen or hair shampoos, they are conditioners and cowashing doesn't work for me. Now I use mizani botanifying shampoo or elucence volume clarifying. They clean my scalp without irritation and both shampoos leave my hair soft and clean but not stripped.

Here's a list of sulfate shampoos that I tried and didn't like

Elasta qp creme conditioning
Jason naturals apricot and jason naturals sea kelp
Giovanni smooth as silk
Trader joes
Blended beauty soy creme
Curls
Jessicurl cleansing cream
Old formula con green and red
MOP
Healthy sex hair chocolate soy creme
Naked naturals
Bed head superstar
Aubrey organics
My honeychild
Burts bees
Organix
Abba creme moist and moisture scentsation
Alba botanicle
Avlon organics
Dr bonners castille soap
Qhemet's shampoo
Lanza
Loreal everpure

I know there are some more but I can't remember.

Yes. CON green old formula and JASON Sea Kelp. It's odd that the JASON Sea Kelp stripped my hair horribly when I was natural, but it's alright on my hair now that it's relaxed.

i switched to abba pure moisture shampoo a year ago and have noticed a difference. i no longer have dry scalp issues and my hair feels more moisturized. i went back to a sulfate poo once or twice when i needed to get some cones out, and i felt the difference in my hair immediately - it felt stripped. i highly recommend sulfate free poos, particularly abba pure moisture. i am relaxed.

Thanks in advance?
I have never tried it on my hair. It dries my skin out so much I was afraid to attempt it on my hair.

Yes. CON green old formula and JASON Sea Kelp. It's odd that the JASON Sea Kelp stripped my hair horribly when I was natural, but it's alright on my hair now that it's relaxed.
I'm natural and Jason Sea Kelp shampoo was my staple from 2005-6 but the conditioner did nothing for my hair at all

I used black soap a couple of time to wash my hair. It felt nice but I still didn't feel comfortable using it. black soap dry my skin a lot. I didn't want it to dry my scalp.

I do use sulfate free shampoo. my hair is not as harsh after shampooing. I only got to use the brand that came with my BKT. I'm not buying anymore as long as I still have some from BKT packages.

Thank you. It seems that there are very few relaxed heads that have had success with black soap and I was just curious

The only sulfate free shampoo I've tried was the organix (in the gold bottle).

It was ok, but I don't have a problem with my sulfate shampoos and I like the way they make my hair feel so I will continue to use them.

oh yes I do. Sulfates wont ever touch my hair and scalp again. I use elucence shampoos. My hair and scalp has been less dry since using sulfate free shampoo. I have scalp eczema so sulfates arent good for me.

Back