Any one Still using sulfate shampoos?

lamaria211

With all we no are there any ladies still using sulfate shampoos regularly?( If so which ones) And having good results and retention? I've been using only cleansing conditioners ( Hair One and Wen( for a while now and I'm wondering if I need to use regular poo ever? Tia

I don't use it regularly. If I run out of sulfate free shampoo I will use Suave Shampoo, but I mix it in with a conditioner first. Me and shampoo don't get along very well.

I wouldn't say regularly, I'd say maybe once a week or every other week if that counts. My hair's been growing great, but probably because the moisture from cowashing beats out the drying from shamppoing. I find cleansing conditioners don't do much for me, and since I co-wash often it's detrimental to clean my scalp every now and then. I've actually found that my hair does better when I mainly cowash, but sulfate shampoos are the only thing than can get my hair squeaky clean. Not sure what effect that shampoo has. I could never get with sulfate free shampoos, they feel twice as drying for whatever reason.

When i had a lot of breakage i started using kerastase resistance bain de force shampoo. It did help, and it did not dry out my hair at all. Just a tiny bit is needed, and i was able to comb through my hair before i DC. My bottle is still half, but i no longer use it cause i no longer have breakage issue. I am back to using keracare sulfate free detangling and moisturizing poo. I alternate that with kerastase oleo relax shampoo (sulfate:yes) when i feel that i might have a little build up. I had it as free samples when i order through the website. It is more mositurizing than the bain de force, and geared towards curly dry hair. It really helps with my 8 month of new growth. When i am done with the sample i will definitely purchase the full bottle.

Never stopped using them. I use Nexxus Therappe after Nexxus Emergencée, Garnier Fructis. I use them along with non-sulfate ones like Giovanni 50:50 and Trader Joe's.

Back when everyone was preaching not to use them, I tried some Aubrey Organics shampoos and Creme of Nature. YUCK! Left my hair feeling like a slug had crawled over it leaving sticky slime or like a bush had puked sap on my hair. My hair felt dry/hard too. So why fix what wasn't broken. And my hair is fine.

Last edited:
Like Nonie, I never stopped using sulfate shampoos. The few sulfate-free ones that I tried left my hair feeling dry & stripped. So I just kept on using my usual shampoos (ORS Creamy Aloe, Roux Porosity Control & Suave Clarifying shampoo). My hair maintains length just fine.

Last edited:
Yes, still using sulfate shampoo and I don't give it a second thought. I pre-poo with oilsl and conditioner so it's not a big deal to me.

Never stopped using them. I use Nexxus Therappe after Nexxus Emergencée, Garnier Fructis. I use them along with non-sulfate ones like Giovanni 50:50 and Trader Joe's.

Back when everyone was preaching not to use them, I tried some Aubrey Organics shamppos and Creme of Nature. YUCK! Left my hair feeling like a slug had crawled over it leaving sticky slime or like a bush had puked sap on my hair. My hair felt dry/hard too. So why fix what wasn't broken. And my hair is fine.

The visual made me gag! LOL :lachen:

I dont use shampoos anymore(regularly)....but the suave almond and shea butter shampoo is really good........and there was a pretty good sulfate free poo that i liked...i think it was calle shakikai henna gold something or other lol

But my hair has never like shampoo...when i use them its like the tangle fairy just ups and tangle every single strand of hair i have than for good measure it hids my comb

I think I'm going to put my Aphogee poo for damaged hair back in rotation probably use it once a month or once every 2 months. Its never left my hair dry or stripped

I tried it, but found that some of the sulfate free shampoos that I used were more harsh on my hair than the sulfates. I also tried co-washing only, but I HAVE to get my scalp clean, so I'm still using sulfates with no issues. Actually, I just use what works and if it has sulfates, so be it.

I love the sulfate shampoos! My current fav is GVP Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Yum!!

The sulfate-free ones do nothing for my hair. I'd rather co-wash than use a sulfate free poo.

edit: i was tripping hard this morning lmao

i only use a sulfate shampoo for clarifying 1 time per every 1-3 months

otherwise i use a sulfate free shampoo almost every week

Last edited:
I never stopped using them either. I use Garnier Fructise Intense Cleanse Atnti-Dandruff Shampoo every 4 days because that has kept my flakes away. And I like to have a clean scalp.

I love the sulfate shampoos! My current fav is GVP Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Yum!!

The sulfate-free ones do nothing for my hair. I'd rather co-wash than use a sulfate free poo.

:yep: This is what I use too.

I straighten my hair every two weeks so I feel like my hair needs to really be clean before I flat-iron so I do usually use a sulfate shampoo. Maybe I just havent found a good non-sulfate one yet.

I cosign with the ladies who never stopped using them. I tried those sulfate-free shampoos and it made my hair worse. Honey, my hair was feeling like the Sahara Desert. I was like dang..........is this suppose to happen! Oh, and let me not forget to mention I tried many of the cone free conditioners as well which simply fell off my hair after rinsing. After much blood sweat and tears, I went back to my sulfate shampoos and cone conditioners and my hair is just fine. I use a French line called Phyto and many Dominican lines like Miss Key and Crece Pelo. It goes to show, how different everybody's hair is. I think instead of trying to follow other people's regimen, people should pay close attention to what their hair likes. Tips and things like that from others are great but I have learned I can't follow someone else's regimen. Nearly lost a great deal of my hair trying to do so. Also, one of the reasons I stopped going to stylists. My hair cannot be detangled like Lisa's, Pamela's, Angela's, Renee's hair. But lord, try telling a stylist this!

I still use them. If I'm wearing a wash n go I just co-wash but if I am planning to wear a style that requires heat then I must clarify first.

I also tried sulfate free shampoos and they left my hair feeling hard.

Yup! I've used cleansing conditioners and I like them. I hate sulfate free shampoo. Ugh it's gross. But I use a sulfate shampoo at least twice a month (Nexxus Therappe). I love that stuff

I use sulfate shampoo only when its time to clarify or after swimming.

I really like the organix tea tree mint. It performs just like sulfate shampoo.

I just started using sulfate shampoos again. Cleansing conditioners work great on my hair, but scalp never gets clean enough.

I still use sulfate shampoo. I used the very last of my Creme of Nature shampoo (old formula) today in fact. I had to wash out a test of avocado butter that had my scalp itching like crazy.

I also have some low sulfate Tresseme naturals shampoo.

I alternate between using a sulfate and sulfate free shampoo. My hair and scalp appreciate this than going completely sulfate free which imo can either too drying or not cleansing enough.

Back