Relaxed Hair Thread

baddison said:
KiWiStyle - I am a regular henna-head. I've been henna'ing my whole head every single month for the past 4 years. I think its safe to say my strands have reached their henna "saturation". I have black hair, but if I stand in the sun just so...you can see a whole lotta red....like a halo. So for the most part, if your hair is really dark, the color may be insignificant, and not so noticeable at all indoors.

Thanks baddison,

Thanks for the info, I may need some advice next month. I did a 75/25 ratio of Henna/indigo and added 2 tbsp of Amla powder to my henna to tone it down a bit. I'll be washing it out in the next hour so hopefully it turns out just as I wanted it to. My natural hair is medium brown with hints of auburn throughout. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

baddison said:
I know exactly how you feel. I also had to chop off close to 2inches. I was BSL, and now back to APL. My ends are quite healthy since, just like you, I dont use heat and I PS 100% of the time. My problem is that some of my hairs grow at a faster rate than others, and I am constantly fighting unevenness. I left it alone for too long until it really started to look unsightly. So we're even again, but for how long....????.....who knows.

Question for you - How do you protect your ends exactly? I find that I get the best protection if I can braid or twist the last few inches of my hair, all the way down to the bottom, before tucking away for my buns. Also, when I moisturize and seal, the ends get a second helping. I keep my ends more moisturized, I would say, than the rest of my hairs. I protective style 100% of the time so heavy, weighed-down hair is not an issue for me.

I didn't have any split ends but they did look ratty. I believe that the breakage I was having has stopped so it could be how uneven my hair grows but I definitely did not want it to look like that. I want long hair but healthy hair is the goal.

baddison said:
I know exactly how you feel. I also had to chop off close to 2inches. I was BSL, and now back to APL. My ends are quite healthy since, just like you, I dont use heat and I PS 100% of the time. My problem is that some of my hairs grow at a faster rate than others, and I am constantly fighting unevenness. I left it alone for too long until it really started to look unsightly. So we're even again, but for how long....????.....who knows.

Question for you - How do you protect your ends exactly? I find that I get the best protection if I can braid or twist the last few inches of my hair, all the way down to the bottom, before tucking away for my buns. Also, when I moisturize and seal, the ends get a second helping. I keep my ends more moisturized, I would say, than the rest of my hairs. I protective style 100% of the time so heavy, weighed-down hair is not an issue for me.

Totally missed answering your question but I moisturize every night and I try to remember to seal. I wear donut buns or knots-outs pulled up into a butterfly clip. If there is something else I can do for my ends, I don't know what it is...

If I get VO5 tea conditioner and water it down does that count as a tea rinse?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

I either wear a donut bun or a knot-out pulled up into a butterfly clip

drop that donut! It could be the material from it or the strain of your pulling your hair into a bun that's thinning out your ends. I am not sure how long your hair is, but my hair is SL, and I braid the back in one, roll and tuck it under and then do an ouchless ponytail. Or i'll just do my hair in a very loose bun. Loose meaning not one strand of your hair is pulling. I've been doing my buns this way for over a year, no receding, loss hair or breakage. It might work for you better that way.

Am I the only lady whos hair never gets bone straight solely with a fresh relaxer? Ugh. I'm only 1 week post and it looks like i'm 3 weeks post. Good thing I am not so much worried about sleekness but dang, can I keep sleek hair for atleast a couple weeks? sheesh

baddison said:
Pure henna deposits red. Unless you buy one of those henna-blends from the HennaSooq site...otherwise...RED

I bought Jamila Henna from henna sooq (BY THE WAY, I HEART THIS COMPANY). I don't think this henna would have made my hair red perse but more of an auburn (brown/orange, a hint of burgundy), my grays are a beautiful copper color :). A few table spoons of Amla added to my henna helped tone down the red which is mostly likely why I didn't see any red color release. I contacted the owner of henna sooq and asked for her recommendations on a ratio that would keep my hair very close to its natural color (i sent pictures) and she recommended a 75/25 (henna/indigo) mix. The Amla toned it down even more.

Because henna doesn't lighten the hair it is a tad bit darker now but my natural highlights are now enhanced and the added plus is no more grays ;-).

For my full SL , almost APL, fine low-med density hair, I used:
100g Jamila Henna
2 tbsp Organic Amla
.25g Indigo

I only used distilled water in my mix because the Amla is acidic enough and I didn't want a very strong color release.

My natural color is in my siggie and here are a few pics post henna:

View attachment 165807

View attachment 165809

View attachment 165811

The flash washed out the color here:
View attachment 165813

Last edited:
KiWiStyle said:
I bought Jamila Henna from henna sooq (BY THE WAY, I HEART THIS COMPANY). I don't think this henna would have made my hair red perse but more of an auburn (brown/orange, a hint of burgundy), my grays are a beautiful copper color :). A few table spoons of Amla added to my henna helped tone down the red which is mostly likely why I didn't see any red color release. I contacted the owner of henna sooq and asked for her recommendations on a ratio that would keep my hair very close to its natural color (i sent pictures) and she recommended a 75/25 (henna/indigo) mix. The Amla toned it down even more.

Because henna doesn't lighten the hair it is a tad bit darker now but my natural highlights are now enhanced and the added plus is no more grays ;-).

100g Jamila Henna
2 tbsp Organic Amla
.25g Indigo

I only used distilled water in my mix because the Amla is acidic enough and I didn't want a very strong color release.

The flash washed out the color here:

So pretty. My natural color is similar to yours. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going for it. Your hair looks beautiful.

Cattypus1 said:
So pretty. My natural color is similar to yours. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going for it. Your hair looks beautiful.

Thanks! Make sure you mix the appropriate amount for your amount of hair. Your hair is longer, thicker and more dense than mine so your powder measurements will be more but the same ratio.

100g Jamila Henna
2 tbsp Organic Amla
.25g Indigo

Wow!! That turned out beautiful!!! You got great results!!

Ok I looked at my hair and I saw where the texture changed im texlaxed yay!!!!

I just relaxed my momma's hair with my texlaxer mix on her barely there ng. I made sure I was careful not to touch her already relaxed hair but she smoothed it to the tips anyway.smh well you cant tell ppl nothin at least I didnt have to use more relaxer than I needed to.

sckri23 said:
I just relaxed my momma's hair with my texlaxer mix on her barely there ng. I made sure I was careful not to touch her already relaxed hair but she smoothed it to the tips anyway.smh well you cant tell ppl nothin at least I didnt have to use more relaxer than I needed to.

Some folk have to be dragged kicking' and screaming...you might get her to read the forum sometime, maybe while you're relaxing her hair.

Cattypus1 said:
Some folk have to be dragged kicking' and screaming...you might get her to read the forum sometime, maybe while you're relaxing her hair.

It wont work she thinks this forum is built on lies. She literally told me "hmm dont let them ppl lie to you". How are thousands of ppl from different continents are gonna join together to promote a lie? Oh well she wants short hair anyway

This is identical to her current style im just trying to save the unshaved hair

Sexy-Short-Hairstyles-for-Black-Women-_13.jpg

sckri23 said:
It wont work she thinks this forum is built on lies. She literally told me "hmm dont let them ppl lie to you". How are thousands of ppl from different continents are gonna join together to promote a lie? Oh well she wants short hair anyway

This is identical to her current style im just trying to save the unshaved hair

Don't give up...denial is not a river in Egypt. She's reading over your shoulder, she just doesn't want to admit it. :)

Cattypus1 said:
Don't give up...denial is not a river in Egypt. She's reading over your shoulder, she just doesn't want to admit it. :)

Im not gonna give up.

Ok another thread made me wonder how do you wear super long hair straight ? Like to you have to use a head band or does it have to be in a style or have a bend? Or can it be straight?

Like when im in a hurry I dont bother with styles I just comb out and go. If I had MBL or longer hair could I do that without looking like a hippy or cousin it??

sckri23 said:
Ok another thread made me wonder how do you wear super long hair straight ? Like to you have to use a head band or does it have to be in a style or have a bend? Or can it be straight?

Like when im in a hurry I dont bother with styles I just comb out and go. If I had MBL or longer hair could I do that without looking like a hippy or cousin it??

What's wrong with looking like a hippie? LOL

sckri23 - Would you believe that I get the most compliments when I just comb my hair out, part one side, and tuck that side behind my ear??? Literally 20-30 seconds of "styling". :look:

sunnieb said:
sckri23 - Would you believe that I get the most compliments when I just comb my hair out, part one side, and tuck that side behind my ear??? Literally 20-30 seconds of "styling". :look:

Yea thats how I wear my hair now I was wondering how would it look. Im good!! HHJ panic over!!! Lol

Btw about my mom she didnt dc or use a leave in. I worry about her hair. She used my wrap lotion but idk what thats gonna do with no moisture

PinkSunshine77 said:
Am I the only lady whos hair never gets bone straight solely with a fresh relaxer? Ugh. I'm only 1 week post and it looks like i'm 3 weeks post. Good thing I am not so much worried about sleekness but dang, can I keep sleek hair for atleast a couple weeks? sheesh

Girl, I thought I was the only one. It's been happening to me a lot more ever since I've been stretching. And with all my sweaty workouts, I always feel like the results are gone at about week 3. My last relaxer was at the beginning of July and people are looking at me now like "hey,are you going natural?" Nope, just stretching...

ESmackum said:
Girl, I thought I was the only one. It's been happening to me a lot more ever since I've been stretching. And with all my sweaty workouts, I always feel like the results are gone at about week 3. My last relaxer was at the beginning of July and people are looking at me now like "hey,are you going natural?" Nope, just stretching...

Same here, lol

Back