Realistic Growth Goals

Indigo's Hair

Hello Ladies,

I need both inspiration and guidance. I am trying to have a healthy strong head of hair as well as grow length. I had braid extensions put in my hair last week with a goal of 1 inch per month of growth. I plan on getting my hairline, nape and 3 rows re-done every two weeks. My goal is to keep my individual braids in until September. Since I generally wash my hair twice a week, I have been doing that with my braid extensions. I use a mixture of Infusium 23, EVOO and African's (?) Braid Spray to moisturize my scalp and hair. This month, I apply Surge in the morning and afternoon and MTG in the evening. Next month, I will use BT in the morning and MTG in the evening. And in August, I will use MTG in the morning and MN in the evening.

Have any of you ladies been able to retain 1 inch per month while in braids? If so, do you have any inspirational pictures to share? Do you have any advice to help me achieve my goal? Is my goal realistic?

More important than length to me is strong/thick hair. Should I add something to my regimen to make my thin ends stronger by the time my braids are taken down. Can you baggy in braid extensions?

Well I haven't worn braids in years, but I know one thing that has started to thicken my ends and strengthen my hair was protein treatments and deep conditioning. I just started using MTG and my BT should arrive today (yes I'm a PJ!) but using the MTG, for a week, I already see fuzzy hair at my nape and temples that was not there before! :eek:

bumping for responses - I'm sure somone has experience with braids that can help you out. Happy growing!

Last edited:
lovenharmony said:
Well I haven't worn braids in years, but I know one thing that has started to thicken my ends and strengthen my hair was protein treatments and deep conditioning. I just started using MTG and my BT should arrive today (yes I'm a PJ!) but using the MTG, for a week, I already see fuzzy hair at my nape and temples that was not there before! :eek:

bumping for responses - I'm sure somone has experience with braids that can help you out. Happy growing!

Thank you Lovenharmony. I will bump for more responses. I have a VERY special event in September and I am praying that my hair looks healthy and longer by then. I always like to shoot for the stars...so 1 inch every month, for a total of 3 inches, is my goal.

Ladies, can you provide any suggestions, guidance or help? :)

I retain every inch of hair I grow while in braids, but my hair doesn't grow 1in/month. It only grows .5in/mo whether I'm in braids or not. Your goal is only realistic if your hair grows 1in/mo when it's not braided.

sareca said:
I retain every inch of hair I grow while in braids, but my hair doesn't grow 1in/month. It only grows .5in/mo whether I'm in braids or not. Your goal is only realistic if your hair grows 1in/mo when it's not braided.

Unfortunately :( , I don't know what my normal growth rate is. I was hoping with the topical growth aids and vitamins, I could achieve that rate. I know my hair grows in thick every month but how much I don't know. But, it is fun shooting for such high goals. It makes me more discipline and attentive to caring for my hair and body.

Thank you Sareca.

Your hair should thicken and lengthen in braids but even with retouches around the edges it could still thin those out a bit especially over a long period like yours. I've gone through periods of having braids & weave styles where my hair was cornrowed underneath, last Nov. I went through a long period of just wearing my hair and I started going to the salon regularly, she trimmed the first visit and every two week I got a wash/DC and/or treatment and very low manipulation in between. My edges along with the rest of my hair was stronger and thicker. I got braids again end of Feb. and took em out in April and though I had good growth & thickness, my edges took some abuse, even through retouching them, never pulling them etc.

So right now I'm done with braids, my hair grows nice and my edges do well with my hair just out and giving it constant and consistent TLC. If I were to ever do braids again, they'd be cornrows and if they had to be individuals I'd get the front cornrowed so theres a lack of pull on those fragile strands.

HTH! Good Luck 2 you!

Indigo's Hair said:
Unfortunately :( , I don't know what my normal growth rate is. I was hoping with the topical growth aids and vitamins, I could achieve that rate. I know my hair grows in thick every month but how much I don't know. But, it is fun shooting for such high goals. It makes me more discipline and attentive to caring for my hair and body.

Thank you Sareca.

Ok then I changed my mind... You can ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY get there if you're disciplined. :wink2:

SvelteVelvet said:
Your hair should thicken and lengthen in braids but even with retouches around the edges it could still thin those out a bit especially over a long period like yours. I've gone through periods of having braids & weave styles where my hair was cornrowed underneath, last Nov. I went through a long period of just wearing my hair and I started going to the salon regularly, she trimmed the first visit and every two week I got a wash/DC and/or treatment and very low manipulation in between. My edges along with the rest of my hair was stronger and thicker. I got braids again end of Feb. and took em out in April and though I had good growth & thickness, my edges took some abuse, even through retouching them, never pulling them etc.

So right now I'm done with braids, my hair grows nice and my edges do well with my hair just out and giving it constant and consistent TLC. If I were to ever do braids again, they'd be cornrows and if they had to be individuals I'd get the front cornrowed so theres a lack of pull on those fragile strands.

HTH! Good Luck 2 you!

Thank you Sveltevelvet. I am very concerned about my hairline/edges. I see a lot of AA females with thinning or receding edges so I give them TLC everyday. After I got my braids done, I immediately applied MTG to them. My friends were upset because they thought I would ruin the hairstyle.

Were you able to achieve and retain an inch per month while in braids? Did your edges come out totally or just thin out?

Indigo's Hair said:
Thank you Sveltevelvet. I am very concerned about my hairline/edges. I see a lot of AA females with thinning or receding edges so I give them TLC everyday. After I got my braids done, I immediately applied MTG to them. My friends were upset because they thought I would ruin the hairstyle.

Were you able to achieve and retain an inch per month while in braids? Did your edges come out totally or just thin out?

Well I had almost a half inch after 3 weeks in braids then I got my BT and used if for the rest of the time. By week 5 I had a full inch in some places and when I took them out the 7th weeks there were 1.5 is some places 1 inch and a little under in others.

My edges didn't come out completely, but they were thinner than they were before I got the braids. in my widows peak area it looked as though some hairs actually came out. It's coming back though, slowly but surely. I think the BT as well as Biotin and others is helping it fill back in a bit.

I'm not sure if you are use to getting relaxers or your hair straightened but the braids will def help you see your real texture if you were not use to it.

On another note, I think it would def not hurt to do all those things. I mean, you could not do it and get .5 inches per month so doing it won't hurt anything.

On average hair grows about .5 inches a month or 6 inches a year give or take a little. I think an inch a month is a stretch. I think .5 to .75 at the very most is more reasonable.

Chayil

Back