Rate the Proteins: Everything from Spray-ons to deep treatments

Synthia

OK. We all love proteins, but some are overrated and some drastically underrated.

I have six protein items in my shower (Emergencee, Aphogee Treatment, Aphogree Intensive Reconstructor, Aphogee keratin and green trea spray-on, Ultra Sheen Duo-Tex, Nutri-ox Reconstructor)

But I only really like three.

Here's my assessment.

The FAVORITES:.

#1. Duo-Tex!!!!!!: I had never even heard of this product before. I went to Sally's last week since they started carrying Nexxus. I wanted Emergencee but they didn't have it. So, I looked around and found a huge 32 oz bottle of Ultra Sheen Duo Tex protein treatment for $5.99 ($5.29 with my card). You can't beat that.

So, it's liquid, almost as thin as water. you pour it on your hair (I now use a spray pump ...so as not to have run off and waste product), work the lather through and get the hair relatively straight with a comb. Leave it on for just 10 minutes.

Let me tell you after I rinsed it out, my hair was so nice and straight (I felt it was keeping my hair straight), full of body and bounce, it was incredible!

The bottle says you can use it for 3 to 5 minutes after a chemical treatment. I did this yesterday after my no-lye Optimum relaxer and instead of my usually flat day-of-relaxer-hair....I had such fullness and body! Yummy. This is such a well-kept secret. I searched the boards, there's not much on this.

Just $5.99 at Sally's, ladies.

2. Aphogee Intensive Reconstructor -- this is the creamy, thick, 3 to 5 minute Reconstructor. Man, does it work fast. My second favorite ever! (who needs their stinky hardcore treatment). Not only do I notice extra strength afterward but my hair feels like BUTTER! Yes, it's that good :p.

3. Emergencee: What can i say, I use this once a week. It's not overkill but is a good hardcore staple. It keeps my hair strong and most importantly it doesn't stress my hair or dry it out. I'll use this forever.

THE NOT SO FAV'S :(:

1. Aphogee keratin and green tea spray on: Yes, I know I was raving over it yesterday on some thread. :p But I've changed my mind.

I used it Friday night and Saturday I saw some short hairs falling upon comb thru. I can't remember the last time I've had breakage (usually I comb out long shedded strands). It's just too drying. I even sprayed it on dripping wet hair and used a bit of humectress while air-drying. Didn't help. This is not for people who have a problem with dry hair. If you overkill with moisture..this is probably for you. It is a good product, just too dry for me.

I'm not even finishing this bottle, I'm pouring it out and filling the spray bottle with Duo-Tex, which I'll probably use every Wednesday for a mid-week protein fix.

2. Aphogree Treatment for Damaged Hair: I don't like that i have to use a dryer to completely dry this in. It won't work unless it's dried in, and I can't dry it in without hard core heat. Yes it strengthens and I had minimal hair loss, but I'm just not willing to use that much heat on my hair.

It's not friendly. :) I don't like my hair being cement hard either.

3. Nutri-ox reconstructor ... This is OK, but it didn't really make an impression on me.

Other's I've tried:
Keraphix: can't remember the effects, but I hear it's good

Hask spray-on placenta: kept my hair strong and shiny. :) I loved it but stopped using because of the hormones. I so want to go back, but am afraid of the health effects. :(

Wella Liquid Hair: I does strengthen,but for me it was nothing to brag about. I just stopped using and forgot about it. So obviously it didn't make that good of an impression.

What's in you protein cabinet, ladies?? Share your reactions and the outcomes...
(especially for little hyped products).

Did you use the duo tex before neutralizing or after? I was thinking about getting the Vitale positive conditioner to use as a protein conditioner prior to neutralizing, but will probably get this instead.

Good thread Here are mines numbered from worst to best

Aphogee, the big protein-Just too much, makes my hair break.

Aveda Styling Curessence Spray-too much of the wrong proteins for my hair, makes my hair feel hard for some reason and come out too.

Lisa Akbari Leave-in hair Vitamins- This is okay, I sometimes use this as a pre-relaxer conditioner

Nexxus Keraphix- Me likey!!

Nexxus Emergencee- The hardest protein I can take. Totally transformed my hair. I think this is one of the best on the market.

Aveda Damage Remedy Treatment- I'm married to it. I think this is the best out there

MizaniMami said:
Aveda Damage Remedy Treatment- I'm married to it. I think this is the best out there

Hmm, I have seen you mention this fav a few times. As much as I LOVE Aveda, I am really tempted to try.

Have you used Kpak from Joico? I bought a small sample kit of this line and I do like it. I was wondering how it compares to the damage remedy.

Ladylynn said:
Did you use the duo tex before neutralizing or after? I was thinking about getting the Vitale positive conditioner to use as a protein conditioner prior to neutralizing, but will probably get this instead.

Ladylynn, I used Vitale positive conditioner (a non-protein) for five minutes BEFORE neutralizing to correct my pH (it's good, you will be pleased if you get it), then I did the neutralizing shampoo and put on Duo-Tex for five minutes.

For me Aphogee-ends all breakage immediately! This is the best for me!
Nexxus Emergencee is great too but I find it more moisturizing, so I combine it with Aphogee and get nice results.

MizaniMami said:
Hey Peace love, Never tried Joico, but I hear it is good.

Ok, thanks. Well being the PJ that I am and loving Aveda as I do, I am gonna go get this. I don't even know why I playing like I even had to think about it - LOL. :)

My fav pics are:
-LaMur (spelling?) Bone Marrow-great as a soft core protein (IMO) that makes hair feel instantly stronger and stops breakage. I think it's gentle enough to use 1x per week if you wanted to. My hair feels soft and strong after using this.

-Keraphix- this is a great moisturizing protein conditioner. For me this is also a softcore protein. I prefer Bone Marrow to it though.

-Emergencee- This is a hard core protein. I love this treatment because it strengthens and stops breakage it also provides my hair with great shine!

-Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor- I'm not sure if this is hardcore or softcore protein. It also does a good job of stengthening the hair.

I'm planning on trying Sally Beauty Supply Ion Reconstructor treatment and seeing how I like that (i bought the sample packs the last time I was there)

favorite Protein - Aphogee (gets the job done and i use before relaxing to help strengthen)
2nd Fav - Aubreys GPB (not to fond of the scent)
Leave-in - Daggett and Ramsdell have a protein leave-in that seems to work ok but i am dont use it that often and only when 'bunning'.
I have been thinking about trying Mane-n-Tail but im not crazy about the ingredients.

peacelove said:
My top pics would be:

1) Joico Kpak Deep Penetrating Reconstructer
2) Elucence Extended Moisture Repair

Peacelove, I just tried the Joico. Did it leave a slimy feeling on your hair too? It did feel somewhat stronger, but I didn't like that coated feeling.

As for the rest, my problem with most protein is even when I deep condition, my hair still feels extra tangled/matted.

I've tried:

Emergencee: Still have shedding

Aphogee (hardcore one): It takes too long to dry but I do think it halts breakage in its track. Also, I think I had an allergic reaction to it.

Aphogee Reconstructor: Also left hair matted.

Nexxus Ensure Botanical Reconstructor: Didn't do anything for my hair.

Keraphix: Left hair matted.

Alli77 said:
For me Aphogee-ends all breakage immediately! This is the best for me!
Nexxus Emergencee is great too but I find it more moisturizing, so I combine it with Aphogee and get nice results.
The Aphogee recon or the treatment?

atlien11 said:
favorite Protein - Aphogee (gets the job done and i use before relaxing to help strengthen)
2nd Fav - Aubreys GPB (not to fond of the scent)
Leave-in - Daggett and Ramsdell have a protein leave-in that seems to work ok but i am dont use it that often and only when 'bunning'.
I have been thinking about trying Mane-n-Tail but im not crazy about the ingredients.
Same question..the Aphogee recon or treatment?

RabiaElaine said:
I'm planning on trying Sally Beauty Supply Ion Reconstructor treatment and seeing how I like that (i bought the sample packs the last time I was there)

I tried the ION Reconstructor last weekend and it was great. :grin: That was my first protein treatment because I've been afraid of using the hard core stuff, but the girl at Sally's recommended it, and it was on sale for .99 a packet. It feels like a moisturizing shampoo and it foams up. I only needed to use half the packet to saturate my hair and I didn't have to leave it on for a long time; only about 20 minutes with a cap while I shaved my legs and gave myself a pedicure. My hair came out smooth and felt a lot stronger, and I haven't noticed as much breakage or shedding this week.

This is a good thread!
I like aphogee reconstructor.
Aveda's intensive reconstructing conditioner is great! It is good enough to use every wash and I don't even have to deep condition after. :yep:
I like Hask's Henna and placenta.
I also like Sebastian Penetrait.
I like Motion's CPR, but I have to be careful when I use it. Sometimes it can be too drying and other times it is very moisturizing. :confused:
Nexxus emergencee is okay, but it is not strong enough for my hair. It takes several uses before I see results.
Aphogee 5 in 1 is nice too.
Dont forget about egg yolk! I haven't used egg yolk in a while. It works well though.

OK. I took a poster's advice and tried airdrying the Aphogee treatment for damaged hair in instead of heat drying.

It took over an hour :mad:and some parts never got that dry. But it is a new way to use the product without heat ...so that's how I'll use it from now on. I actually liked the results, but without completely drying in it's not really a hard core protein.

Ion-- I tried that back in the day and liked it. I had forgotten about it until now. Perhaps I should snap it up again after I run out of something.

Egg yolk--:eek: I'm scared to put that in my hair, but let me read up on just how to do this.

Last edited:
3.gif

Doremie13 said:
I tried the ION Reconstructor last weekend and it was great. :grin: That was my first protein treatment because I've been afraid of using the hard core stuff, but the girl at Sally's recommended it, and it was on sale for .99 a packet. It feels like a moisturizing shampoo and it foams up. I only needed to use half the packet to saturate my hair and I didn't have to leave it on for a long time; only about 20 minutes with a cap while I shaved my legs and gave myself a pedicure. My hair came out smooth and felt a lot stronger, and I haven't noticed as much breakage or shedding this week.

I just used the .99 Ion packet last night. I really like it. I did not like the smell and I didnt get the lather (foam) you spoke of BUT I will use this again. My hair loved it!

Hask Henna 'n' Placenta Conditioning Treatment and the Hask Placenta No-Rinse Instant Hair Repair Treatment are my new secret weapons. My hair has simply been revived by these 2 products. Wow!

Last edited:
Hair strengthener by Komaza Care (spray-on): A+, this is my favorite protein treatment, it's a hard protein yet gentle enough for my hair.

Frederic Fekkai Protein Rx mask (deep treatment): A+, great balance between moisture&protein. Leaves my hair strong&moisturized.

Aveda Damage Remedy IRT (deep treatment): B+, like the product listed above there's a great balance between moisture&protein. The more I use it, the more I'm startin' to like it.

I'm a 4a/b natural head and I'm thinking about using the Aphogee line in the near future.

Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor, in the tall yellow plastic bottle. Recently purchased my 3rd bottle, and I rarely purchase same product twice. Has a good slip, and stops breakage in wet or dry hair. Regular use is probably why my self-relax after a 12 week stretch turned out so great (no breakage). I'm 6.5 weeks post relaxer right now, and still have little to no breakage, a few long shedding-like strands occasionally. If I see too many long strands falling out, I will apply Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor, followed by a DC mixed with EVOO and Vinegar. Finally I apply a leave-in spray conditioner and seal it with Wave Neveau Finishing Lotion, Biofusion Olive Oil Lotion, BB Growth Oil Lotion, or CFC Instant Moisturizer (mimics Wave Neveau). Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor does what it claims it will do.

Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor, in the tall yellow plastic bottle. Recently purchased my 3rd bottle, and I rarely purchase same product twice. Has a good slip, and stops breakage in wet or dry hair. Regular use is probably why my self-relax after a 12 week stretch turned out so great (no breakage). I'm 6.5 weeks post relaxer right now, and still have little to no breakage, a few long shedding-like strands occasionally. If I see too many long strands falling out, I will apply Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor, followed by a DC mixed with EVOO and Vinegar. Finally I apply a leave-in spray conditioner and seal it with Wave Neveau Finishing Lotion, Biofusion Olive Oil Lotion, BB Growth Oil Lotion, or CFC Instant Moisturizer (mimics Wave Neveau). Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor does what it claims it will do.

How often do you use your motions CPR?

Elasta QP- Before and After. It has instructions on the label how to use before a chemical service and how to use after.

I can't really give a review, even though I'm on my second bottle. I usually spray my hair with it, or mix it with something else. I use protein as a preventive measure, I haven't used protein for damage control after the fact.

I love love love ORS Replenshing Pak, every time I use it my results are heavenly. It makes your hair strong yet soft. Im able to really detangle my hair easly with this conditioner on.

I also love Nexxus Emergencee. I only use this treatment every 6 weeks or so. It works pretty well. I actually prefer this over Aphogee 2 step protein.

I love Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor as well. It makes my hair very strong and stops any shedding.

I love love love ORS Replenshing Pak, every time I use it my results are heavenly. It makes your hair strong yet soft. Im able to really detangle my hair easly with this conditioner on.

I also love Nexxus Emergencee. I only use this treatment every 6 weeks or so. It works pretty well. I actually prefer this over Aphogee 2 step protein.

I love Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor as well. It makes my hair very strong and stops any shedding.

I couldn't have said it any better! These are my top three as well!

Back