have relationship problems.
They have problems
that they bring
into the relationship".

Judge Faith is preachin'! :walking:

I want to read
her book now.

Choosing history over happiness

This one statement sums up my toxic marriage and helps explain why i stayed so long. I knew something was wrong with my ex when i left him twice in the 90s. But, I kept giving him chance after chance.

The judge said so much more that hit home, but that statement really touched my soul.

Thanks for posting that video @PatDM'T

i wish i had this information way back when i started dating. Like she said, many of us weren't taught how to date and find a compatible partner. However, I'm still here and I'm the happiest I've been in my entire adult life.

^^^ This reminds me of something Oprah said years ago. She was talking about the concept of forgiving and forgetting. I don't remember it verbatim but the gist of it is that forgiveness isn't forgetting. It's letting go of the hope or wish that whatever happened would've been different - basically moving on without it holding any power over you or your emotions.

@Black Ambrosia my therapist told me it's 100% ok for me not to forgive my ex. There was domestic abuse involved.

But she did say that I need to forgive MYSELF. I was like....whoahhhhh. I did harbor a lot of anger and resentment at my younger self for falling for an abusive prick.

I had to work through forgiving myself and that really helped me as I deal with all of these emotions. Forgiveness in many different forms is a big part of the process.

My first Christmas as a single woman in over 30 years! It was so peaceful and stress free! I chose to be alone today to enjoy coffee, Christmas movies, and solitude.

I had invitations to go to 3 different places, but I chose MY place today. Of course I talked to everyone, but I didn't feel the need to dress up and get out. I hung out with family yesterday because I had a feeling I wouldn't get out today. :look:

I'm realizing that when your home is a place of peace and tranquility, you actually WANT to be there! Imagine that! This is new. Lol!

Today was all about ME! :D

MERRY CHRISTMAS ladies!

Enjoying another peaceful morning and scrolling my feed. Here's something I'd like y'alls thoughts on.

A man posted that he was healed so much from his toxic relationship that now he doesn't like anybody and prefers his own company. I can tell he clearly posted it tongue-in-cheek with smilies and stuff.

Some commenters understood this. But MOST were saying things like:

well that means you're not healed

life is too short to be alone

heartbreak is a part of life

you are only healed when you open your heart again to love

Say what now? This is part of the reason so many of us stay in toxic marriages way too damn long. I'm starting to see and feel that society has a huge stigma against single people who prefer to be alone.

I'm old, so I don't care. I'm concerned about those in their teens and 20s who feel pressure to be in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship. I don't know. It's was just one post and the comments were just so off-base. If you had your heart broken and found love again - AWESOME! But do not tell me I'm broken because I don't want that and really don't know if I ever will again. I'm just fine thank you.

I’m done with romantic relationships. I just don’t want that for my life anymore. There are other things and interests I would like to explore and focus my attention on. Some people just can’t seem to get the idea of not being attached to someone. It’s not the norm to desire a life of singleness and solitude.

@Evolving78 being alone doesn't mean lonely! Others don't get it!

I'd been married all my adult life so I know a lot of married couples. Some of the women can't even fathom being single. Like, ever!

One lady i know got divorced about 2 years ago. She Immediately joined a 50+ singles dating site, met a man, dated him, and married him within 6 months! THEN moved out of state to follow him and his job. (her job transferred) :eek: Her adult daughter was not happy at all.

But, she seems happy with her life and her new husband. However, that won't be me.

Single never married girl chiming in. Society puts more status/worth for those coupled. Everything is designed for plus 1 and if you can’t find someone to marry your defective. It’s why many stay in broken relationships so they save face yet have many affairs. I am near 40 and have def had my share your not getting any younger, just take whatever comes and fix it up, never mind the self work that you did to be seen by greater men you must be crazy since no one wants you.
I have been jumping for joy for you @sunnieb as you are flourishing.

@Evolving78 being alone doesn't mean lonely! Others don't get it!

I'd been married all my adult life so I know a lot of married couples. Some of the women can't even fathom being single. Like, ever!

One lady i know got divorced about 2 years ago. She Immediately joined a 50+ singles dating site, met a man, dated him, and married him within 6 months! THEN moved out of state to follow him and his job. (her job transferred) :eek: Her adult daughter was not happy at all.

But, she seems happy with her life and her new husband. However, that won't be me.
I don’t have the “if you like it, I love it” mindset. But everyone has to live their life for themselves. Just like someone would want me to be supportive of what you just described, my decision to remain single should be respected as well.

I don’t have the “if you like it, I love it” mindset. But everyone has to live their life for themselves. Just like someone would want me to be supportive of what you just described, my decision to remain single should be respected as well.
This is it in a nutshell. The lady I mentioned is only an acquaintance, but her story is allll people talked about in our circle for a while.

My take is that she's a grown woman and it's her life. Just isn't something I want.

Also, I think people in my life truly mean well when they want me to find love again. I understand that. I don't have any friends who knew me before I was married. I was always the 'married friend'. Lol!

I also get told that I "look" like a wife - whatever that means. I think that as time goes on and folk realize that I'm actually happy, they'll understand.

I don't hate men. I don't hate love. I simply love me more right now.

@sunnieb
I think misery loves company when it comes to people feeling uncomfortable about someone choosing to be single. I don’t hate men or love either. It’s so much going on in the world right now. Women in this country and others are losing their civil rights. I got a problem with people seeing me as less than because I choose to not have a man or turn into a plastic lesbian. (Yeah I said!)

I won’t go on the attack regarding women and men trying to have a relationship by any means necessary either. If that’s what they want, then they can have at it all day and night! Lol

@Evolving78
@sunnieb

Can I just
say that the
world needs more
women like you?

The fact that
you ladies already
have spent a
chunk of your
life accommodating another
and so have been
there, done that,
& bought the T-shirt
should tell others
worried about you
that you are
wiser and know
yourselves better and
know what you
need and want
better than anyone else.
#ExperienceGalore

So as concerned
as they are
for you, they
need to trust
that you know what
you are talmbout.

And you are
so right: It is
not about hating
relationships or love
or even a case
of being once bitten
and twice shy;
it is about
being all you
can be, for you,
with no one
slowing you down,
or you having to
choose to compromise
for another because
that is what
you do when
there are two.

People do not
realize how much
one can lose
of themselves when
in a relationship.

It may take being
out of one
to rediscover your
potential and the
real you and
I think one
has to experience
it to fully understand.

Of course there
are people whose
split is painful
and they need
therapy to get
to where you are.

But once you
realize you are
in a better place
and that you
are enough and
how liberating it
can be to not
have anyone weighing
you down, it
has to be
so liberating to
spread your wings
unencumbered and soar.

I hope as more
women realize women
can be happy single,
standards of what
we will accept
will go up.

If incels thought
women were snobs,
wait till the
world is flooded
with women who
know they are
all that. They
won't know what
hit them. LOL

Last edited:
@PatDM'T say it again!

The world ain't ready for women like us!

I'm not bitter, lonely, desperate and willing to put up with anything to have a "man".

I'm not wallowing in woe is me self pity. I'm not a super model, but I am pretty to me and that's all that matters. I've also lost 50 pounds so far and plan to lose about 20 more as I tighten up. Y'all already know my plans to grow my hair as long as possible. :blush:

I had a guy get offended when I didn't give him my time. I was traveling for work and arrived at my hotel too early. My room wasn't ready. No biggie. I went to the hotel bar to order some food and planned to camp out at a table and get some work done while I ate.

Me being me, I was only focused on finding somebody behind the bar to take my order. Didn't even notice dude sitting there. I placed my order and she asked if I was going to sit at the bar. I was like, nope, I'll be at a table (waaaay away from the bar). Dude spoke up talking 'bout I could've sat next to him and he don't bite. I politely declined and went to a table and opened my laptop and dove into work.

He left a few minutes later and just HAD to walk in front of my table. :rolleyes: Then he said he hoped I enjoy my lunch all snippy and stuff. :lachen: I just said I will and went back to work.:look:

I don't owe you any of my time or conversation sir. I will speak and move on. Oh, he was easy on the eyes, so I guess he's used to women being flattered and flustered around him. Not me! I wasn't in the mood and I had work to do. GTFOH.

@sunnieb
I have been snapped on and told I was going to die alone! Lol But since I have been single, I am starting to feel I have agency now and personal autonomy. I’m not willing to compromise anymore. Like even when it comes to hair. A woman made a video about cutting her hair and her not running it by her husband. Women were telling her she should have talked to him about first or made a compromise with him. I’m not about that life anymore.

A major thing to consider before filing for divorce - your finances. You must have a way to financially support yourself and your children if you have them.

A friend filed for divorce after her husband left her for another woman. She knew she'd get awarded child support and full custody during the process. He makes a nice salary and was the primary bread winner. Cool.

But guess what? You think that jerk was going to man up and do the right thing? Please! Not only is he dragging out the divorce (going on 2 years now), but he hasn't paid a lick of alimony or child support in over a year!!!!

He's using the court system to create delays and other crap I won't go into. The bottom line is that my friend is left to fend for herself and the kids while this is working through the system. Even when he's eventually ordered to pay up, she still has bills to pay right now. Luckily, she had a plan in place and has an income stream. Not a lot, but she's making it.

If you don't have a job, get one! Google "how to save money to leave my husband". The results have some excellent tips. It's not about stealing money or anything nefarious. It's about taking care of you while you go through the long divorce process.

Don't expect your soon to be ex to do the right thing. Men can be some vindictive son of a guns when they want to be.

Take care!

If you're still married, but know you're going to divorce him soon, think about medical and dental care.

If you're covered under his plan, try to get your own covered through your employer. I did this years ago to 'save money'. :look: Not a total lie. I knew that I would eventually leave him and I had to start making moves.

If you've been putting off ANY procedures, make an appointment and get them done! Dental work, OB/GYN, mammogram, whatever. Get it done!

If you're still married, but know you're going to divorce him soon, think about medical and dental care.

If you're covered under his plan, try to get your own covered through your employer. I did this years ago to 'save money'. :look: Not a total lie. I knew that I would eventually leave him and I had to start making moves.

If you've been putting off ANY procedures, make an appointment and get them done! Dental work, OB/GYN, mammogram, whatever. Get it done!
Yes!! Good advice!

@Evolving78 since I'm living this right now, I'm trying to warn others! Lol! I did some things right, but made mistakes too.

Another tip coming:

Don't ya just love all the connectivity we have nowadays? It's awesome when you're with a loving partner. But honeeeeyyyy! When you're divorcing an idiot, BEWARE!!

• Amazon - update who has access and watch what credit cards are on there. I had already created my own Amazon account, but used our group account for most purchases. He took advantage of this and bought some stuff months after I'd left and it charged to my credit card. :mad: I was able to get the charges reversed eventually, but still.
  • Cancel credit cards he has access to and get new accounts in your name only.
  • Google - disconnect him from your calendar, cloud, devices, everything!
  • Clear your search history and delete all bookmarks. No matter how insignificant it may seem. He doesn't need to have any clues about what you're looking at online.
  • If possible, get a new cell phone in your name before you leave. My old phone was on his account and he turned it off (as expected). But before that, he had the option to have all of my calls and texts forwarded to him. Don't know if he did that, but didn't matter. Once I left I never used that phone again.
  • Make a list of everything (and I mean everything) that you log into. You will need to change all of those passwords immediately upon leaving.
Don't make an announcement about what you're doing. Just move silently and discretely like nothing is wrong. If he notices you're doing something, be nonchalant. Talk about the future even though you know you won't be there.

Last edited:
@PatDM'T I wanted to touch on something you said.

You are so right about me and the 'been there, done that' line of thinking.

I've come to the conclusion that my toxic ex inadvertently schooled me on how to make it alone. I was definitely one of the 'single while married' crowd. He was going full steam in the opposite of what my values were. Wasn't concerned about paying bills or saving. Just living in the moment. This is the main reason I'm so content being single. I can make it on my own calling all the shots. I'm not willing to give that up again.

Since I felt abandoned in my marriage, I came up with creative ways to keep the household afloat while I got myself together. I can budget like a Bawse, and know how to live below my means without sacrificing things I want. It's called planning. Something he didn't do.

As his abusive side intensified, I had a long proven history of handling things. I literally kept asking myself why was I still with him. He doesn't provide emotional or financial support. He's angry all the time. What am I getting from this? The answer... nothing. So when you divorce nothingness, you don't miss it. On my own, I have something.

It was still scary, but not as hard out here like I was lead to believe. After dealing with him, normal life challenges are nothing to me!

I'm procrastinating my work, but whatever. Lol!

Came across this and it spoke to my soul. I hope the link works. Wouldn't let me insert as media.

Some of the comments accuse her of blaming the victim and I disagree. Comments like 'just leave' or 'gurl, I woulda been gone the first time he looked at me funny' blame the victim. The judge was simply saying what needed to be said. That's why the young lady was crying. The words were hitting her heart.

"a man should be an option, not a definition"

PREACH!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkwNgs4MH8I/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

An ad for 65+ singles showed up on my feed. I read the comments for kicks and giggles.

ALL the women commented that it's not worth it. One lady said that not only is the service not worth it, but men her age only want women for the 3 Cs: Cooking, Cleaning, and Caregiving. :rofl:

Pretty much. Whew I needed that laugh!

Here's the one thing I notice about my friends and family who have been married 25+ years - COMPATABILITY.

Guess that's another 'C'. Lol!

No matter what the wife does, no matter what the husband does, they are compatible as a couple. As they get older, they grow more compatible. This can mean whatever. If it works for them, it works.

One example is a couple I know. They've been married 31 years. When I tell you their kitchen is spotless! The reason? The wife doesn't cook. At all. She can order. She can reheat, but what she does not do is cook. And guess what? Her husband is fine with that. Eating out is their thing. The way she cackles when somebody asks her about cooking! :lachen:

What I also noticed is that the rest of their (large) home is also spotless. She is downright OCD about having a clean home. Of course I'm on the outside looking in, but I love visiting them. They are so cute together. :)

If you're not compatible and arguing all the time, guess what's gonna happen?

Here's the one thing I notice about my friends and family who have been married 25+ years - COMPATABILITY.

Guess that's another 'C'. Lol!

No matter what the wife does, no matter what the husband does, they are compatible as a couple. As they get older, they grow more compatible. This can mean whatever. If it works for them, it works.

One example is a couple I know. They've been married 31 years. When I tell you their kitchen is spotless! The reason? The wife doesn't cook. At all. She can order. She can reheat, but what she does not do is cook. And guess what? Her husband is fine with that. Eating out is their thing. The way she cackles when somebody asks her about cooking! :lachen:

What I also noticed is that the rest of their (large) home is also spotless. She is downright OCD about having a clean home. Of course I'm on the outside looking in, but I love visiting them. They are so cute together. :)

If you're not compatible and arguing all the time, guess what's gonna happen?
I cook because I have to feed my family the best way I can, but I don’t like to do it, since it messes up the kitchen. I noticed that about myself and with people who actually have OCD. That’s why I know for a fact, that would raise a compatibility issue for someone that would be interested in me. I clean up behind people instead of nagging and complaining. They all tend to say I make them feel uncomfortable. I’m not willing to change that about myself either. I compromise enough with my children.

@Evolving78 And you shouldn't change. Thinking about the husband from the couple I was talking about - I think having a clean home is very important to him. He's had his own business for over 40 years. A lot of times he brings clients to their home for entertaining/business purposes.

He knows that he can count on the house being "company ready" at all times. Not because he pressures his wife to do it. She wants to do it.

I was visiting over the holidays and she made me a cup of coffee. I sat down and was holding the cup and before I could even think, she was there with a coaster and a napkin for me. It's who she is. She doesn't make me uncomfortable at all. She has such a sweet mothering soul. It's what I expect when I visit.

Another thing - she does not like to put up Christmas decorations, but the husband does. He puts up everything and takes them down. She said that when he gets too old to do it, she's going to hire a decorator to handle it. :look:

They just work so well together.

I saw a statistic referenced in an article and had to go read the source. It's from 2015, but the findings are still interesting:
  • Women initiated 69 percent of all divorces, compared to 31 percent for men
  • Married women reported lower levels of relationship quality than married men
  • Husbands still expect their wives to do the bulk of the housework and the bulk of the childcare.
Article

August 22, 2015

Chicago, IL

Women are more likely than men to initiate divorces, but women and men are just as likely to end non-marital relationships, according to a new study that will be presented at the 110th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association (ASA).

“The breakups of non-marital heterosexual relationships in the U.S. are quite gender neutral and fairly egalitarian,” said study author Michael Rosenfeld, an associate professor of sociology at Stanford University. “This was a surprise because the only prior research that had been done on who wanted the breakup was research on marital divorces.”

Rosenfeld’s analysis relies on data from the 2009-2015 waves of the nationally representative How Couples Meet and Stay Together survey. He considers 2,262 adults, ages 19 to 94, who had opposite sex partners in 2009. By 2015, 371 of these people had broken up or gotten divorced.

As part of his analysis, Rosenfeld found that women initiated 69 percent of all divorces, compared to 31 percent for men. In contrast, there was not a statistically significant difference between the percentage of breakups initiated by unmarried women and men, regardless of whether they had been cohabitating with their partners.

Social scientists have previously argued that women initiate most divorces because they are more sensitive to relationship difficulties. Rosenfeld argues that were this true, women would initiate the breakup of both marriages and non-marital relationships at equal rates.

“Women seem to have a predominant role in initiating divorces in the U.S. as far back as there is data from a variety of sources, back to the 1940s,” Rosenfeld said. “I assumed, and I think other scholars assumed, that women’s role in breakups was an essential attribute of heterosexual relationships, but it turns out that women’s role in initiating breakups is unique to heterosexual marriage.”

Perhaps women were more likely to initiate divorces because, as Rosenfeld found, married women reported lower levels of relationship quality than married men. In contrast, women and men in non-marital relationships reported equal levels of relationship quality.

Rosenfeld said his results support the feminist assertion that some women experience heterosexual marriage as oppressive or uncomfortable.

“I think that marriage as an institution has been a little bit slow to catch up with expectations for gender equality,” Rosenfeld said. “Wives still take their husbands’ surnames, and are sometimes pressured to do so. Husbands still expect their wives to do the bulk of the housework and the bulk of the childcare. On the other hand, I think that non-marital relationships lack the historical baggage and expectations of marriage, which makes the non-marital relationships more flexible and therefore more adaptable to modern expectations, including women’s expectations for more gender equality.”

###​

About the American Sociological Association
The American Sociological Association, founded in 1905, is a non-profit membership association dedicated to serving sociologists in their work, advancing sociology as a science and profession, and promoting the contributions to and use of sociology by society.

The paper, “Who Wants the Breakup? Gender and Breakup in Heterosexual Couples,” was presented on Aug. 22 in Chicago at the American Sociological Association’s 110th Annual Meeting.

To obtain a copy of the paper; for assistance reaching the study’s author(s); or for more information on other ASA presentations, members of the media can contact Daniel Fowler, ASA Media Relations Manager, at (202) 527-7885 or [email protected].

This press release was written by Catherine Turvey, ASA Public Information Office.

Papers presented at the ASA Annual Meeting are typically working papers that have not yet been published in peer reviewed journals.

Back