Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

Doing good on re-incorporating Ayurveda into my regi. It made so much difference in my progress and then I got lazy. SMH

I bought some Brahmi/Amla oil, some more Vatika oil and an indian pre-mixed shampoo with shikakai, aritha and neem. It's so much easier to add the herbs when they're already mixed. I'm going to stick with my regular conditioner though.

as i was trimming my hair with the clippers....i had an ...i hate my hair moment...i had to stop..i will finish in a couple of days.

i didn't want to risk trimming it all off...

Ugh, I have lost so much hair these past few days. I suspect it's protein overload, but I'm not quite sure since my hair doesn't feel particularly rough. It feels like every time I touch my hair some is coming out.

Ugh, I have lost so much hair these past few days. I suspect it's protein overload, but I'm not quite sure since my hair doesn't feel particularly rough. It feels like every time I touch my hair some is coming out.
Did you thoroughly neutralize your relaxer/retouch? Or, overlap? Do you protect your previously relaxed hair while applying and smoothing your newgrowth?

Sorry to hear you're losing hair!

I straightened my hair today, it took FOREVER! I'm definitely past waist length, but I get a trim Thursday.

I still can't figure out how to get the silky swangin hair that I get when I go to a salon. I was lighter on the heat protectant, but maybe it was still too much. Or maybe I should try a spray and not a serum. I dunno.

Did you thoroughly neutralize your relaxer/retouch? Or, overlap? Do you protect your previously relaxed hair while applying and smoothing your newgrowth?

Sorry to hear you're losing hair!
Thanks! My nerves are a bit frazzled and I'm fighting a cold. I thought I did since I rinsed really well, applied the neutralizing shampoo to remove any additional relaxer, then let the neutralizing shampoo sit for 10 minutes per section.
And yes I definitely protect my previously relaxed hair.

images
thinking about a full or mini big chop for 2016.

I straightened my hair today, it took FOREVER! I'm definitely past waist length, but I get a trim Thursday.

I still can't figure out how to get the silky swangin hair that I get when I go to a salon. I was lighter on the heat protectant, but maybe it was still too much. Or maybe I should try a spray and not a serum. I dunno.

Try deep conditioning and then using an oil like grapeseed or coconut as a as a protectant and then straighten on 430.

I've decided not to relax for the time being, and to invest in some good quality heat protectants so I can wear my hair flat ironed perhaps once or twice a month for variety. Let's see how long this lasts...

That sounds like the recipe I use to fry chicken in my deep fryer. Half coconut half grapeseed oil, high heat. It always comes out just the way I like it. Burnt on the outside and tender on the inside. :lachen::lachen:Now I want fried chicken :drunk::look:

Well I didn't mean using half and half. I meant using either or as a protectant. I've used coconut oil before to straighten and it turned out just fine and my hair reverted fully as well. And there's plenty of naturals that used just grapeseed oil to straighten with no problems. They protect the hair just as well as any silicone based protectant. The key to not having heat damage is clean hair and deep conditioners. Everything else is just for added protection.

It's because they use both hands and chase the comb. Also the salon stylists pulls up first where we usually pull down. I've basically just given up doing it myself.

Last edited:
Well I didn't mean using half and half. I meant using either or as a protectant. I've used coconut oil before to straighten and it turned out just fine and my hair reverted fully as well. And there's plenty of naturals that used just grapeseed oil to straighten with no problems. They protect the hair just as well as any silicone based protectant. The key to not having heat damage is clean hair and deep conditioners. Everything else is just for added protection.

Ok gothcha!

The ignorance and fear regarding heat in the natural hair community is astounding and sad.

I'm going to assume that was not directed towards me since

1) I like heat...no I take that back...I love heat
2) Not ignorant on how to safely use it
3) Not scared of it
4) Nor am I a part of a natural hair community...more of the live and let live community. Do whatever to your hair that you need to do to make you feel beautiful.

If I offended you in anyway I apologize...your post really did make me think of frying chicken since it is a recipe I use. Now can we hug it out? :bighug:

I'm going to assume that was not directed towards me since

1) I like heat...no I take that back...I love heat
2) Not ignorant on how to safely use it
3) Not scared of it
4) Nor am I a part of a natural hair community...more of the live and let live community. Do whatever to your hair that you need to do to make you feel beautiful.

If I offended you in anyway I apologize...your post really did make me think of frying chicken since it is a recipe I use. Now can we hug it out? :bighug:
Lol! That was definitely not directed towards you! just frustration with what I've heard in general around different sites about heat. But yeah we're super cool! E-hugs back! Lol

Try deep conditioning and then using an oil like grapeseed or coconut as a as a protectant and then straighten on 430.
I've used grapeseed oil before, and my hair turned out the same as far as feeling coated and weighed down. I think I use only a little product, but maybe its still too much. Ive never tried heat that high. I may bump up the heat next time. I also didn't use my normal DC since I used Aveda smooth infusion. I really want to get a straightening regimen down!
It's because they use both hands and chase the comb. Also the salon stylists pulls up first where we usually pull down. I've basically just given up doing myself.
I did the comb chase method, but I never thought about them going up first, hmmmm....im not opposed to going to a stylist, I just need to find one I trust (like Reneice).

Lol! That was definitely not directed towards you! just frustration with what I've heard in general around different sites about heat. But yeah we're super cool! E-hugs back! Lol
Same, but there is virtually no stigma regarding dye. Both have the potential to damage your hair when done incorrectly. And once my hair reaches my goal, I plan on heat training because these ssk and tangles are not the business

Anyone tried Dominican magic products? Saw them in the store today

I did. Didn't work on my hair (almost 4 months post) - it made my relaxed hair hard and my natural roots rough feeling. Used it on my daughter's hair (natural) and it really moisturized her hair and made it soft. Weird - and probably of no help to you :lol:

I just bought some Jasmine oil to sexy up my hair oils, and some Auromere Ayurvedic pretty shampoo oils from www.pureformulas.com. I had a 15% off coupon from my first order for signing up to receive emails. Also, THEY LET YOU COMBINE CODES!!! Lol, I was so excited! I now have a $10 credit from a $9 purchase because they are doubling points, and I filled out the account preference Part. Use my referral code for $5 off!! :NJFOPFP. :yep:

@sgold04

I always have silky hair swang when I flat iron my own hair. I use a serum type heat protectant when I blow dry my hair and then I flat iron my hair (like the stylist, I also do the chase comb method). Everyone thinks I've gone to my stylist when I flat iron my own hair.

@sgold04

I always have silky hair swang when I flat iron my own hair. I use a serum type heat protectant when I blow dry my hair and then I flat iron my hair (like the stylist, I also do the chase comb method). Everyone thinks I've gone to my stylist when I flat iron my own hair.
I figured out what the culprit is. I'm going too fast when I flat iron each section. Today, I went over large sections more slowly, and my hair is super silky. I flat ironed at 405, but now that I know I need to go slower, I'll try 385 next time.

Back