Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

@Napp If you don't mind answering, what flat iron and products did you get?
I got a salon tech 450 with 3 silicone strips. It gives the hair more tension than a regular flat iron so only one pass is needed with no snagging.

As for the products, I used kms brand tame frizz lotion and oil. It is supposed to be humidity proof so I will see how it works out. I never hear anyone talking about these products but they are very good. I have their silksheen deep conditioner and it's divine.

Thanks to reading "The Power of Habit", I've finally figured out why I've been struggling with my hair this year.

During my first 6 years of being natural, I washed my hair almost daily, and was a pj. In the past year, I've stretched out my wash days and lowered my product usage dramatically from before. This has made doing my hair boring, and most days I've felt not done because of my hair. Turning to heat gave my brain the "reward" it had gotten used to of some style change in my hair.

Before, the habit was doing my hair regularly, and being rewarded with good smelling, more defined and styled hair.
The habit is still there, but I keep getting frustrated because I messed the system all up :imsorry:

I wish I had realized this before I turned to heat YET AGAIN :cry:. Now, I have heat damage AGAIN because I couldn't figure out how to scratch this itch my brain had.

Sigh.

Since my hair is starting to revert from getting it pressed last week, I decided to wear my hair in a semi fro. Tell me why all my coworkers were fascinated by my hair. One coworker kept asking how do i make it stand like that. I was thinking to myself " really?" SMH

pic of how it looked

Attachments

• 12301709_10100610206953739_3262221364472781012_n.jpg
    12301709_10100610206953739_3262221364472781012_n.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 42
Since my hair is starting to revert from getting it pressed last week, I decided to wear my hair in a semi fro. Tell me why all my coworkers were fascinated by my hair. One coworker kept asking how do i make it stand like that. I was thinking to myself " really?" SMH

pic of how it looked

Our hair is fascinating. There are just so many variations. I'm natural and I'm still amazed at our hair. IRL I know a lot of naturals and no two heads of hair are the same or even close.

I can't decide what to do for workout hair. I've been sleeping in two flat twists, but I'm thinking I may need to workout in a high bun secured with a lot of Bobby pins. And a wide headband to keep my roots flat while I sweat?

I take group fitness classes so there's a lot of jumping and lying flat on my back. Need my hair out of the way and secure.
Spin pins are the truth! Just one does the work of about 6 bobby pins. And j have really thick hair, at most, I've used 2 to secure my buns

Last edited:
My crown is my problem area and it annoys me. I should detangle this area first while I have energy and motivation. I dread dealing with that section so I always save it until the end and by the time I reach the end, I'm tired and just mentally drained. I will detangle this area first next time....it's a must.

So, I just washed my hair today after getting it straightened and I think I have some heat damage. The back of my hair usually curls but today it just looks limp and frizzy. I'm not super upset but lesson learned. No one cares for your hair the way you do.

So, I just washed my hair today after getting it straightened and I think I have some heat damage. The back of my hair usually curls but today it just looks limp and frizzy. I'm not super upset but lesson learned. No one cares for your hair the way you do.

I would do a light/medium protein treatment the next time you wash your hair. Sometimes hair takes a while to rebound after washing. It may not be heat damage!

I would do a light/medium protein treatment the next time you wash your hair. Sometimes hair takes a while to rebound after washing. It may not be heat damage!

Thank you so much for this advice! I feel a little better about it now.What protein treatment do you suggest?

Thank you so much for this advice! I feel a little better about it now.What protein treatment do you suggest?

No problem! I use the JASON Biotin conditioner as my protein treatment monthly. It has silicones, so if you're avoiding those maybe try Aubrey Organics GPB? I haven't been in the hair forum in a while so I'm not super familiar with all the treatments available.

Both of the ones I suggested can be found at Whole Foods.

I have been washing my hair every 2 weeks instead if weekly. I feel the need to do ir when I use heat which was a month ago tomorrow. I hope this doesn't make me lazy

The jbco deep condish and the plantain deep condish.

Wow I didn't know that. I don't care about silicones [now] but one of the reasons I started using them in the first place was because I knew I could co-wash them out effectively since the lack of silicone... I wonder when they started this? I had some just a few months ago that I bought this year and I don't believe they had silicone in them... They lied about some other ingredients they supposedly had in them though :lol:

I'm coming down with something (I hope its not the flu again) but my nose is running, my ears hurt and my throat hurt. I'm glad I'm PS'in my hair right now so I don't really have to worry about it because I seriously doubt I'll be doing much to it right now. Plus I'm supposed to meet up with my counselor to get back into school. .. now's not the time to be getting sick.

I've had a lot of shedding and a some breakage. So I got a little reckless. I used Aphogee 2 step every 2 weeks over the last 6/7 weeks. Surprisingly, the shedding has decreased substantially but I still have breakage, which I think is related to how I handle my hair.

I think these are the first set of braids that I haven't wanted to take out right away. Just came back from a mini weekend vacay and they were so easy and cute. I can definitely see me doing these back to back to give my hair a break for a few months. :happydance:

I'm moving away from Shea Moisture. I found in my stash the SECOND product with cones in it. No bueno.

Shea Moisture has been pulling some shady crap lately. I read that the JBCO line doesn't even have JBCO, they removed the Purification Mask and tried to say that the new one is the same...it ain't, AND now they sneaking cones in products without telling anyone? Ok, Shea Moisture, ok. I have only two products from their entire line and those can (and probably will) be replaced.

I just gave myself a very relaxing scalp massage to de-stress from studying for finals. Now I have to decide if I'm going to wash my hair tonight or tomorrow morning. Probably tomorrow since I think I'm going to start roller setting my hair to stretch that way I don't have to sleep in rollers.

Back