R u sure its real?

crazydaze911

Just reading a weave thread and remembered having hairlocs a while back. i loved those things. havent heard it talked about on the board lately - it can be expensive - its for all hair types from 1 to 4z. see some before and after pics of hairlocs below.... THEY DO NOT DAMAGE UR REAL HAIR. I've had them. they do not use glue or heat fusion like great lengths. they only use little clips. So when u see someone with really nice long hair, are you sure its real? this gives the 'weave check' a whole new challenge - lol

ETA - i could only upload 5 pics so the 'after' pic for the last girl is in the next post below...

Attachments

• before hairlocs.jpg
    before hairlocs.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 98
  • after hairlocs.jpg
    after hairlocs.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 132
  • before hairlocs2.jpg
    before hairlocs2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 97
  • during hairlocs2.jpg
    during hairlocs2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 179
  • before hairlocs3.jpg
    before hairlocs3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I always wondered what happened when your hair started to grow in kinky - b/c they stay in for a few months right? And then when you flatiron you can't go over the metal.

I always wondered what happened when your hair started to grow in kinky - b/c they stay in for a few months right? And then when you flatiron you can't go over the metal.

My hair grows slow and i dont keep any fake hair in longer than two months before removing and/or re-doing. so if your hair grows at a normal rate - u'll have only about 1/2 inch to 1 inch of growth in 2 months. I had mine long - the slight weight keeps ur roots pretty straight. i flatironed below the metal and it looked fine.

how much do these normally run?

eta: I saw one lady that charges $1200

Last edited:
how much do these normally run?

eta: I saw one lady that charges $1200

It depends on where you go, the length, texture, and color but Iwould say thats probably a good average, but like I said it could cost more depending on the factors mentioned.

I was trained in them and yes you may have problems when new growth comes in especially if your hair grows fast and is like 4a/b texture. .but I like them.

My first one - i was STUPID and went to someone in manhattan that RIPPED me off! dont even want to talk about it but it was ALOT (over 2k, after she quoted me 1800 - URRRRRR) - but it was really good human hair and really long - yeah, yeah. But then i found someone in queens that does it for less than $400. i think it was $350 or smthg. And my girlfriend found someone in Jersey that is similarly cheap. for the look and feel of it, if you have the money, its def worth it. You dont have to dig under to reach ur scalp or pat when u itch like a weave - you can FEEL and put stuff on your scalp. They dont recommend greasing it up with the hairlocs but i still did and they were fine. also - i only kept them in for 2 months, but some people keep them in for 5! and you can reuse the same hair if you want to re-do them or get new hair...

I would love to try that out, but I guess it wouldnt work for me since I'm transitioning. I wanted to try it out before, but I could never find an inexpensive stylist. It looks great!

I would love to try that out, but I guess it wouldnt work for me since I'm transitioning. I wanted to try it out before, but I could never find an inexpensive stylist. It looks great!

Yeah - I'm almost 10 months post now so I'm hesitant to try something like this. It's hard enough to match 4 a/b texture, never mind mixing that with some texlaxed hair and bonestraight ends...I am considering a sew-in though. then I only have to blend my crown and sides.

I guess for me, the only reason to add or use hair is for protective styling, and since the hairlocs don't really cover your hair, and it still has to be styled they don't really fit.

Thanks for posting those pics, very interesting. The after shots look really nice. I've never heard of this before. This is more for length and thickness, right? Not for protection?

I love watching those type of hair extensions but my sister got them once. It cost her like 2,000 dollars and her hair in the front broke off. It grew back with a weave. Also, the stylist didn't get the right texture for her hair.
Another good website is www.hairangel.net

How do they take the hair out? Is this something you can do at home yoursef, or go to a professional for?

I took them off myself. just need pliers (its not as scary as it sounds - lol). They clip them in one way, u use the pliers to squeeze the clips the OPPOSITE way, therefore creating a gap in which the fake hair slips out.

just curious, can you blowdry it? it seems like the pulling would be pretty painful/damaging, so how did you blend the hair during washings?

just curious, can you blowdry it? it seems like the pulling would be pretty painful/damaging, so how did you blend the hair during washings?

its not painful - braids hurt alot more in my opinion. its just a slight tugging just like you would feel on ur scalp if it was ur real hair....feels good to me. and yes u can blow dry it - all the girls in the before and after pics had it blown dry to match, i would think. my queens hook-up put rollers and blow dried, just like she would anyones regular head of hair. If ur doing it urself just be gentle and start below the clip. its a strand my strand thing - so it just blends with ur real hair while u wash. i've always had KNOTTING problems with weaves, human hair and non-human hair, so to me, this was the most like real hair with minimal knots b/c its not on a weft.

Do you think that the process would be something you could install at home yourself if your had the supplies? Also, does the hair come preattached to the metal clamp or not? I would love to try this, but would have to wait I while for those prices.

Yeah my stylist was going to do this kind of weave for me for $350. But I had been going to her for a long time, not sure if she charges that regularly. That girl was the QUEEN of weaves.

This is a cool option.

Thanks for posting those pics, very interesting. The after shots look really nice. I've never heard of this before. This is more for length and thickness, right? Not for protection?

Yes, more for length and thickness but can be protective if you have say SL hair that rubs on ur clothes - this would be an extra layer of hair/barrier against ur clothes and breakage.

Do you think that the process would be something you could install at home yourself if your had the supplies? Also, does the hair come preattached to the metal clamp or not? I would love to try this, but would have to wait I while for those prices.

Im not sure if you can get the supplies w/out a cosmo license. i would google 'hairlocs' and see what comes up.

Found the pics of me with hairlocs! I hardly ever flatironed - usually wore it wet and i was at least 4 months into my transition when i got them installed.

Attachments

• spider1.jpg
    spider1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 17
  • look hair.jpg
    look hair.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 17

no, the sections have to be a certain size and there has to be some distance between your scalp and the ring. . . here is an example.. this is not hairlocs. .

http://www.doctoredlocks.com/store/tut_linkies_pb.html

Yes, more for length and thickness but can be protective if you have say SL hair that rubs on ur clothes - this would be an extra layer of hair/barrier against ur clothes and breakage.

Im not sure if you can get the supplies w/out a cosmo license. i would google 'hairlocs' and see what comes up.

You can find similar supplies. . clamps rings etc but unless you go to ebay you are not going to find hairlocs supplies. .not even the hair.

It always amazes me how different a person's persona looks (and feel) when they have long hair (or a real-looking weave). It's as if their aura changes, in a good way.

Back