Questions for naturals

mahoganee

look.gif
I've been transitioning since august of last year by wearing different types of braid techniques and sew ins and want to know if any of you transitioned in this way and if so how long did you transition this way? I want to keep this up until I get a good length since my hair shrinks so much.
The second question is if you dye your hair what kind do you use. I've used Naturtint.

I transitioned with braids (synthetic individuals) for a little over a year
smile.gif
It was very effective because it minimized manipulation. After I had a good amount of growth, I chopped.

I don't use permanent dye, but I do rinse my hair with Adore (black) every so often.

BTW, welcome to LHCF
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
mahoganee said:
look.gif
I've been transitioning since august of last year by wearing different types of braid techniques and sew ins and want to know if any of you transitioned in this way and if so how long did you transition this way? I want to keep this up until I get a good length since my hair shrinks so much.
The second question is if you dye your hair what kind do you use. I've used Naturtint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I transitioned with gradual cuts/trims and pressing...and my hair looked a mess because I pressed over relaxed hair.
frown.gif

As far as color is concerned, my hair likes powders because they grip to the hair better and therefore last much longer. The only cream-based color I like is Clairol Textures and Tones. It lasts longer than any other cream color I've used.

I did a mini BC after about 3 months of transition. I cut it in a chin length bob from below brastrap. Then I wore braids off and on for a little over a year and finally cut off the remainder last April. I just recently dyed my hair and I used Nice and Easy. Keep up the good work. Just take your time, baby your hair, and it will pay off. Q

Last edited:
I'm currently alternating between braid extensions and wearing my hair in a phony pony, using a ton of gel to slick back all of the newgrowth. I dye my hair about 2 times a year to darken it, and I use a semi permanent dye from Creme of Nature.

Hey Mahoganee,

I transitioned for 9 months with braids and cornrolls, but the longer I transitioned and grew my hair I was opting to just chop it all off. This last time after removing my cornrolls, I started to cut leaving only perm hair on top. And two weeks has pass and I steadily cut more of the perm each day. Now I am probably 90% all naturale and I have to admit I wanted to transition for a year to have more growth, but after reviewing some hair journals like www.angelfire.com/journal2/dreamypisces I just said the heck with it.
smile.gif

I transitioned (but didn't know that was what I was doing- I just started wearing braids and years later after I took it all down I realised what a waste of time relaxing was, when I got the same effect from pressing if I wanted) with indies. I wore braids for 3 years straight, but when I was done with that style for a while I had a lot of hair that was broken off from the old nasty relaxed hair being mixed with the pretty natural hair and then I trimmed and was at bra strap ( I was at shoulder before braids- but remember the broken hair) at the 1st of only times I let a stylist press my hair. I hadn't got the hang of pressing for a while, so of course I didn't get it as straight.
I have used color a LOT (as a lot of you know), but with my hiar being natural I have more freedom with colors. I go the older route and not the most popular one on this board and double process. I use powder bleach with a 40 volume developer (my hair is ridiculously resistant- anything lower doesn't lift it), and then deposit whatever color I am after. I tend to go for very light colors, so I have to bleach first.
I tend to use Nice and Easy for the final color, but I am not too picky on that one, it is just predictable for me- very important in hair color- and they have a wide variety of colors to choose form.
THe lighter the color- yes- there is dryness. Moisturizing is a well practiced routine here!

[ QUOTE ]
mermaid said:
I transitioned (but didn't know that was what I was doing- I just started wearing braids and years later after I took it all down I realised what a waste of time relaxing was, when I got the same effect from pressing if I wanted) with indies. I wore braids for 3 years straight, but when I was done with that style for a while I had a lot of hair that was broken off from the old nasty relaxed hair being mixed with the pretty natural hair and then I trimmed and was at bra strap ( I was at shoulder before braids- but remember the broken hair) at the 1st of only times I let a stylist press my hair. I hadn't got the hang of pressing for a while, so of course I didn't get it as straight.
I have used color a LOT (as a lot of you know), but with my hiar being natural I have more freedom with colors. I go the older route and not the most popular one on this board and double process. I use powder bleach with a 40 volume developer (my hair is ridiculously resistant- anything lower doesn't lift it), and then deposit whatever color I am after. I tend to go for very light colors, so I have to bleach first.
I tend to use Nice and Easy for the final color, but I am not too picky on that one, it is just predictable for me- very important in hair color- and they have a wide variety of colors to choose form.
THe lighter the color- yes- there is dryness. Moisturizing is a well practiced routine here!

[/ QUOTE ]
I love that color on you! Mine is almost that color. I was going for a blonde but it came out more or less red. My natural hair color has black,red, and brown in it so I wasn't overly surprised by the color that turned out.

[ QUOTE ]
mahoganee said:
[ QUOTE ]
mermaid said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I love that color on you! Mine is almost that color. I was going for a blonde but it came out more or less red. My natural hair color has black,red, and brown in it so I wasn't overly surprised by the color that turned out.

[/ QUOTE ]
The blonde is definitely one that you need to remove ALL the dark shades- black always lightens to red and stops there, unless you use a higher lifting product.
Blonde is a tiring, high maintenence color. I do like to wear it, though. I will be dark blonde again here in the next couple months after I give my hair time to recover from all my abuse. It clearly needed another bleaching process to combat the black dye.
As long as you play it safe- have fun with the colors!!!
grin.gif

I transitioned through wearing braids for over a year. It wasn't on purpose, I just didn't want to deal with my hair. Since I didn't take care of my hair back then all the relaxed ends gradually broke off..and I had 4-6 inches of natural hair left. That was when I found this board. I think braids is a easy way to retain growth when they are cared for properly.

Back