Questions For EVERYone

What length was your hair when you first started your hair care journey?What length is it now?How long ago did it take to go from your past length to your current?What setbacks did you have?When routine/porducts did you see the most growth/results from?What products and methods do you hate?

What length was your hair when you first started your hair care journey?
I started at a teeny afro:)

What length is it now?
I think it is a little past armpits length:)

How long ago did it take to go from your past length to your current?
It will be 2 years next month!

What setbacks did you have?
I gave myself a very uneven bigchop! I will correct it, (i know, finally!) next month by a professional. I also became a product junkie and wasted alot of money on unnecessary products!

When routine/porducts did you see the most growth/results from?
I saw the most growth when i kept my hair routine simple. I kept it in protective styles. And made moisture/water my best friend. My favorite result products are elucence mbc, qhemets heavy cream and water for detangling.

What products and methods do you hate?
I don't like shea butter:( I think i've tried every possible combination and my hair still hates it! And i don't like any complicated hair regimens cuz i'm awful at staying focused.

My hair was relaxed waist length.

What length is it now?
It's natural bra strap length.

It's been a little over 3 years since I transitioned from relaxed to natural.

I'm growing out a a bad layered cut that I didn't ask for from 3 months ago.

I see the most results when I'm consistent and pay attention to the amount of heat I use.

Hmm, I don't much think about what I hate. I just try to concentrate on what works for me and fits my lifestyle.

What length was your hair when you first started your hair care journey? grazing shoulder length when pressed, natural

What length is it now? below my shoulders

How long ago did it take to go from your past length to your current? too long about 9 months

What setbacks did you have? I got my hair bleached, and I stopped taking care of my hair

When routine/porducts did you see the most growth/results from? I saw the most growth with a partial wear, I clarified my scalp, co washed and used MTG regularly and my hair thrived.

What products and methods do you hate? I hate the pre-pooing method, I also hated pantene relaxed and natural breakage defense.

It was about an inch above shoulder length in the back, two inches below my ears on the side.

What length is it now?
Armpit length

It's taken a year and three months

Split ends from heat usage

What routine/products did you see the most growth/results from?
I think frequent washing, low heat usage, and conditioning has helped the most. I've been able to hold onto my length more and my hair has been looking fairly nice w/out having to use heat all the time.

Airdrying is still not really working for me. I've given up I think. I am starting my Dominican blowout challenge for the summer so that I don't have to flat iron my hair.

Armpit length

What length is it now?

Rocking an afro:D

It took me a year to reach brastrap and then I trimmed it all off on March 14, 2006 and officially became au naturale

I just started my journey to long natural hair and so far there has been none.

My motto is health first, growth later. I make sure to DC once every week or every other week and moisturize moisturize moisturize and do protein treatments once a month. Sta So fro, Qhemet Biologics and Asha's have worked wonders on my hair.

Nothing of late:)

Relaxedhairchica22 said:
Bra strap relaxed

What length is it now?
Shoulder length half n half

About 10 minutes **the mini chop**

The mini chop :)

When routine/products did you see the most growth/results from?
Crown and glory hands down. The products dont help my hair grow but aids in the health of my hair, keracare humecto, jane carter nourish and shine, and head and shoulders shampoo

What products and methods do you hate? bunning and most of the products Ive bought, they just dont do the job

Cool thread, I likey :)

What length was your hair when you first started your hair care journey? Shoulder
What length is it now? Approx 3 inches past, but what has REALLY improved is the THICKNESS. My mom and sister look at it like :eek:
How long ago did it take to go from your past length to your current? About 5 months
What setbacks did you have? Co washing with VO5. Lost MAJOR hair :mad:
When routine/porducts did you see the most growth/results from? Co-washing with QP Intense, airdrying, and heating my hot oil, Mizani Conditioner, and QP Intense together for my deep conditioning treatment, adding a plastic cap and covering with a towel for an hour. Hair comes out BEAUTIFULLY!!!
What products and methods do you hate? So far, VO5

About Shoulder Length

What length is it now?

I guess you would call it APL

about a year with a couple of cuts inbetween...

I got my hair cut about exactly a year ago.

Low Heat, Washing ,Protien and Moisture treatments once a week - Kemi Oyl, Keracare Oil Moist w/ jojoba.

I hate sitting under the hair dryer.. thats one reason my rollersets suck :lol: and No Heat / Manipulation , I know it works for some, but I hate it for me... :)

Neck/nape length. Also thin and damaged :/
What length is it now?
A few inches past shoulder. Also thick and healthy! :]
I started seriously taking care of my hair in August 04, so about 2 years.
Seasonal shedding.
Routines: Minimized use of heat/Air-drying. Stretching relaxers. Conditioner washing.
Products: Suave Milk & Honey, Surge, Aubrey's GPB, Shea Butter
Fortunately for me, my hair does not like the pricier stuff much :D I also stay away from stuff with too many inorganic chemicals and fragrances.

Last edited:
Relaxedhairchica22 said:

Neck/nape length

Relaxedhairchica22 said:
What length is it now?

Unstretched, about 4 inches from BSL, stretched, about 2 inches from BSL

Relaxedhairchica22 said:

I started about 2 1/2 years ago

Relaxedhairchica22 said:

Inconsistency and PJism along with periods of incessant cutting/trimming. I haven't trimmed in almost a year and I'm paring down my products to identify staples.

Relaxedhairchica22 said:

Surge and WGO and then MTG but inconsistency has cost me.

Relaxedhairchica22 said:

ACV rinses did not work for me. Neither did the coconut mild and (I think) lime natural relaxer. Some other things, too, but again with the PJism, I didn't keep track of actual products that did not work for me.

Shoulder Length
What length is it now?
Hitting the top of the brastrap.
January 2006-June 2006.
Biggest setback was that I had to cut my hair from BSL to SL in Jan. My setback now is that I relaxed with a horrible relaxer (Dark & Lovely) and my hair has been shedding alot.
Routines: Protective styles, rollersets and airdrying. protein treatments every week for 1 month and then moisturizing treatments every week for 1 month, alternating.
Products:Jason's Natural Thin-to-Thick line, JB Castor Oil, and Smooth-N-Shine Leave-In Treatment.
If I'm unfamiliar with it I'm not trying it, so I don't have any products/methods that I hate because I haven't tried anything new. Although I did try co-washing once and airdrying in a ponytail...I didn't like that at all.

A bald fade haircut, like a man. I did the BIG chop :lol:

What length is it now?

Fifteen to seventeen inches from root to tip.

Four years. I know it should be longer but my hair had setbacks :ohwell:

When I pressed my hair I recieved MAJOR damage and had to cut off almost a year's worth of growth. I pressed again, same thing happened. I had to cut it again. I also have "hand in hair" disease, so I'm always getting split ends.

Washing with Elucence MB or Volume Clarfying and deep conditioning with Lekair cholesterol once a week. Hot oil treatments and preshampoo conditioning work miracles on my hair. Using oil and shea butter on the ends.

Products I hate: VO5 conditioners, Aussie products, Motions, Mizani, Organic Root Stimulator, thick old fashion hair grease, and much more. I'm very selective.
Methods I hate: Oiling/greasing the scalp. My scalp gets nasty and oily on its own real quick :nono: . Not trimming for extended periods. My hair needs regular trims or it will begin to look scraggley. Conditioner washes, CW (leaves my scalp nasty). I do a modified CW. I leave the conditioner on and shampoo. This gets my scalp clean and my hair gets the benefits of CW.

I cut it to my ear lobe.

What length is it now?
2 inches past brastrap.

1 year

Cutting it into a v...then not liking it....so I had to cut 3 inches off to even it up again.

routine/products did you see the most growth/results from?
Wearing it in a bun for a year and CW.

Don't have any.

Cool thread! :cool:

What length was your hair when you first started your hair care journey?What length is it now? How long ago did it take to go from your past length to your current?

I discovered LHCF this past January, and that's when I really got serious about my hair. It was probably around armpit length then, now it's at brastrap.

My most recent setback was a few months ago when I read that Andre Walker uses Velcro rollers on Oprah's hair. I picked up some at the $1 store, rolled a few in my hair in them and they were a BEYOTCH to get out. I don't even want to think about the broken hair from that incident. :mad:

Co-washing, conditioning, low manipulation styling, low/no heat, moisturizing, oiling, and rolling ends on self holding rollers to further seal and condition ends. My staples are in my siggy. I am especially loyal to the NTM line, castor oil, S-Curl, and WGO. :kiss:

Combing dry hair and too much protein. :nono:

Last edited:
Shoulder Length

What length is it now?
Just Past BSL

15.5 months

Earlier this year I got SH, and trimmed off more hair than I wanted to

Routine:Moisturizing, Protective Styles, The Baggie Method, Airdrying and Co Washing
Products: S-Curl, Coconut Oil, Africa's Best Herbal Oil, VO5 and White Rain Conditioners are some of my staple products

None so far

Basically started from scratch by transitioning for 11 months, gradually chopping all of my relaxed hair off. I cut the last of the old hair off on March 3 and decided to have my hair texlaxed/texturized.

What length is it now?
The longest point is shoulder length (see sig.); overall, I’d say “flip” length.

15 months

None really. Cutting my hair as I transitioned was difficult, but worth it.

Routine/products did you see the most growth/results from?
Leaving it alone. :lol:

”Hate” is a really too strong word, and I know a lot people get good results, but pre-pooing for me has been rather useless, so I stopped.

About 4 inches

What length is it now?
shorter,mid ear in the front,nap of neck in the back

i started my journey in 04

cutting my hair about 4x,over conditioning

Routine/products did you see the most growth/results from?
Being simple.Aphogee every 2mths.Motions cpr shampoo and conditioner and miss key 10 en 1,qp mango butter,wash and sets

co-washing,oil moisturizers(just dry my hair out),blowdrying at home(fried frizzy mess),airdrying( puff ball)

just below shoulder length when relaxed; an unhealthy natural APL when straight

What length is it now?
healthy APL, that needs an overdue trim

i've been completely natural since 2002, but i only started taking proper care of my hair about a year ago

i got highlights last summer and the stylist cut off a lot of "dead ends." i'm sure there were a lot, but i think she cut off more than necessary

co-washing, deep-treatments, using elucence mbc, and adding omega 3-6-9 capsules to my daily multi-vitamin (i did this more so for health, but healthy hair growth is an added bonus)

biotin, mtg, and hair vitamin supplements/taking 57 pills just for hair growth (i just felt so uncomfortable popping so many pills :eek:)

Last edited:
Back