Question for those folks with 3b or 3c hair

lovelysecret

I am trying to find a perm for folks with curly hair. I have curls and whenever i get a relaxer my hair stays curly and it just gets more brittle. So tell me, curlgirls, just how do you get the curl out????

I do not desire to lose my curls, but I have been doing this to get rid of frizz and allow my hair to hang to its maximum length when oiled and conditioned. It is not permanent because it is not a relaxer. To a package of natural neutral (no color) henna, I add: 1/4 cup of moisturizing protein conditioner; a combination of castor oil, Hemp or Olive oil to make up a quarter cup; sage, nettles and corn silk (I make a tea from the sage nettles and cornsilk and add to the henna mixture and then add the oils). Apply to hair and leave on for 2 hours); shampoo and rinse. After about 3 applications spaced a week apart, the curl is loose, hair is very moist and shiny, and the ends are smoother. Combs out easily. When I wrap my hair and dry it, it comes out straight and full of body. The longer you use it the looser the curl.There are no chemicals. Just herbs. Hope this works for you as well as it does for me. ( I am a 3b, but now I am more of a 3c-2b.) When you stop doing this treatment, your hair will just return to the regular texture. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Mahalialee4 said:
I do not desire to lose my curls, but I have been doing this to get rid of frizz and allow my hair to hang to its maximum length when oiled and conditioned. It is not permanent because it is not a relaxer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to try this....I have a problem with frizzing. That was the main reason I used to relax..and the main thing that makes me think about relaxing again(when I do). Where do you find the ingredients?

I will definitely have to try that. I would love to get my hair to stay straight (for at least a little while) and without chemicals will be even better. Can't wait to try it!

Mahalialee, I was reading up on this because I was considering it for my daughter's natural hair to help make combouts easier. One thing that concerned me, was that the use of henna over time, builds up on the hair cuticle and seals it, which prevents moisture from going in . This causes cause the hair to become extremely dry and easy to break. Can you tell me how do you counteract this effect. Do you think it's safe for me to use on my 6yr old's hair? Thanks in advance.

Hey Girls,

This is not Mahalialee, but I think that this is the homemade herbal tame recipe I posted on the old board. This time last year I was doing the treatment weekly and found that it was too often and it did cause my hair to feel dry. After the initial three weekly treatments that Mahalialee suggested, I suggest cutting back to once every four weeks. I also suggest following this treatment with a moisturizing conditioner. Henna is a mild protein condiitioner. (I realized that I should follow with a moisturizing conditioner when I found this board last spring. Thanks girls. /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Also, you MUST rinse out in the SHOWER and for at least five to ten minutes to make sure that you get ALL of the mixture out.

The treatment doesn't straighten hair like a relaxer but it does mildly relax the curl and make it easier to straighten with a blowdryer or by wrapping, as Mahalialee said.

SweetCocoa, you can get dried sage, cornsilk, aloe vera and nettles from the health food store. Also, Whole Foods sells Rainbow henna. I also have found henna in some Korean beauty supply stores.

ArmyQT, the treatment is very messy. It is looks like a mud pack for your hair, so I am not sure how your daughter would take to it. If she can deal with sitting this on her head for a few hours, I say try it.

--kc

&lt;&lt;get rid of frizz and allow my hair to hang to its maximum length when oiled and conditioned&gt;&gt;

I am definitely going to give this a try! thanks!

-lee

I can also confirm what Mahalialee4 is saying, the henna mixtures are EXCELLENT for defrizzing and loosening the curl some. You can be creative with your carriers oils. Like almond oil, olive oil, castor, macadamia nut oil and so on.

My hair also has more shine, detangles easily, sheds less, very smooth feeling and soft. The good thing is: No chemicals and stronger hair and increase in hair growing environment. I find that I don't need alot of oil in my hair. What I put in after a good washing and condition session stays in. And I can't keep my hands out of my hair! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hada

I have never been so happy with my hair! How effective...you would absolutely swear my 3b hair is relaxed and I have no CHEMICALS; use no heat and do not rollerset it. And each time I shampoo it, I AVC and deep condition and moisturize treatments and Crown and Glory.( I only put the braids in when I am travelling). But my ends are smooth, I do not use any heat or store bought products to smooth them. This is probably the best tip my hair ever benefitted from now that it is getting longer ( past the bra strap at the back). I could not remember the name of the person who had posted it, so thank you KASEY for giving us all a heads up! I was absolutely blown away at the results! I play around with the ingredients a lot depending on what my hair is needing at the time, but the henna of course is the constant feature because it is the basic catylist that loosens the hair. I followed mine up with a moisturizer and I oil my ends every second day. I can part my hair, smooth the sections one at a time with wet hands or a homemade smoothing lotion, and wind or twist up each section into a huge pin curl that I secure with plastic pins and when I take them down, I have a lot of huge waves. A great moisturizing conditioner is: Coconut milk cream (I buy the Maggi coconut POWDER from an Indian store); It smells so heavenly coconutty! /images/graemlins/lick.gif and I do not have to worry about wastage like when you buy the canned stuff. I put in 1/4 cup of this and add 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice and a tablespoon of Emu Oil and a tsp. of sheep sorrel (which is full of minerals etc.) and put on the plastic cap and go under the dryer for a couple of hours (when I really want to pamper my hair); Rinse well. Then I wrap my hair and let it air dry naturally under a silk scarf. Be sure to use the neutral no color henna if you do not want red hair! /images/graemlins/blush.gif Bonjour.

Re: Question : KASEY

I am really curious about the Baka Beautiful Hair Treatment which is the package of Daphne Gnidium herb.http://www.style-beauty-barber.com/baka.htm
I have satisfied myself that this is not the African Wonders Naturalaxer: not the Copa; nor the Rio: and is not combined with other herbs. I have not used it: I am wondering if it has the same characteristics as the Henna in that it loosens the curls. If you know any thing about this product (I know about Rio, Copa etc etc.) but I would like a personal honest or aware view of this specific product. Could you help us out with this one. I talked to Brenda, the lady at Baka Products, who assured me that each package was 100% natural, and only contained the herb and that it was FDA approved. I ordered some and the Sahara Clay. She stated that when all the hubbub was going on with the other companies, they came an investigated them as well and there was no problem. (I plan to take it to the University and have it analyzed at the lab,) because I would rather be safe than sorry. I will share my findings. They also have it at Penn Herb. http://www.pennherb.com/cgi-bin/herbstore.cgi/go?;970: , If anyone knows anything, good or bad. please tell me. I would so appreciate it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif If it gets the nod of approval, I would like to try it in the same manner as the henna. Bonjour.

I am really curious about the Baka Beautiful Hair Treatment which is the package of Daphne Gnidium herb.http://www.style-beauty-barber.com/baka.htm
I have satisfied myself that this is not the African Wonders Naturalaxer: not the Copa: and is not combined with other herbs. I have not used it: I am wondering if it has the same characteristics as the Henna in that it loosens the curls. If you know any thing about this product (I know about Rio, Copa etc etc.) but I would like a personal honest or aware view of this specific product. Could you help us out with this one. I talked to Brenda, the lady at Baka Products, who assured me that each package was 100% natural, and only contained the herb and that it was FDA approved. I ordered some and the Sahara Clay. She stated that when all the hubbub was going on with the other companies, they came an investigated them as well and there was no problem. (I plan to take it to the University and have it analyzed at the lab,) because I would rather be safe than sorry. I will share my findings. They also have it at Penn Herb. http://www.pennherb.com/cgi-bin/herbstore.cgi/go?;970: , If anyone knows anything, good or bad. please tell me. I would so appreciate it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif If it gets the nod of approval, I would like to try it in the same manner as the henna. Bonjour.

Mahalialee,

I am glad that you are enjoying the homemade herbal tame recipe. Yes you can play around with the herbs and oils to satisfy your needs, but Gold Medal uses aloe, cornsilk, sage and nettle. I usually add in some olive or jojoba oil. I have never used castor oil, but maybe I'll try that next time along with some horsetail or rosemary tea. CICI24 says that she has had good results with castor oil.

Thanks very much for your coconut conditioner recipe. I have seen powered coconut milk in the store. Now I may pick up a can.

About the Baka,

There is an herb shop around my house that sells this product. I haven't paid much attention to it. I know that it comes packaged in a clear plastic bag and it looks like henna. On my next visit, I'll ask the manager about this product and the herb and report back later. The manager of this shop is very knowedgeable about herbs.

-kc

hello everyone.... how much henna are you guys using when you do this? thanks alot

I am seriously thinking about applying the neutral henna on my daughter's hair this weekend, based on the rec here. She has 3c/3b hair. Thick hair, S-curl pattern and very dry. when her hair is wet, it is wavy. However, when it dries, it can turn into an afro. She has 2 textures on her head. The back is where most of the 3c is. The front and sides are more 3b. Whenever I wash her hair the combouts are a little difficult. So this is where I'm hoping for some help. What results can I expect after applying the henna. Also, I don't plan to do it too often. I was thinking once every 3 months. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok I have another question...how much is this mixture gonna cost me...not just one time but if i started using it for a month or more? I'm a college student on an extreme budget!!!! (you don't even know how broke!)This really sounds like alot of ingredients!!!

I live in Canada so I pay 3x the price for everything. For a box of Colora Neutral Henna, I pay $6-$11 depending on which store I shop at. If I buy it ( Made in India) at an Indian store it costs me $3.99 for about 3 times the amount. (Canadian Funds). so money wise, you cannot beat the price, because you could probably get the same thing for $2 in the U.S. Hope this helps. : /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo:

Oh I forgot to add that I use about a cup of Henna because I have long hair.(to bra strap at back)and it is very thick. For the lady with the child, and what you can expect, perhaps Kasey could elaborate as she has been using it the longest. What is happening with your hair at this time, Kasey? Could you please give us a breakdown. I pretty well explained as best I can what effect I have achieved with it. Thanks. Bonjour.

Re: Lovely Secret!

For the berbs, if I buy them at the Indian Groceries or Spice Centres, the herbs cost about $1.99-3.00 per bag and they last me up to six months or more. So if you are doing it every month expect to spend about $5.00 and can you afford not to? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif I have a stash of herbs, you would not believe, plus I have an herb garden and fruit trees. You know I am dangerous! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Once you build up an herb stash, it will be even cheaper!!! Bonjour.

Jaquai, ArmyQT and LS

A two ounce box of NEUTRAL Colora Henna is about $2.99 at a BSS in MD. A 4 ounce (one cup)jar of NEUTRAL Rainbow Henna is about $4.99 at Whole Foods in MD. The henna may be cheaper at an Indian store. Herbs can be purchased at most health foods stores in bulk for $1 to $2 per ounce.

I used to get two uses out of the box of Colora. Now I get two uses out of the jar of Rainbow Henna. So for my short to medium hair, two ounces is enough for me for one treatment. You will need about one-half teaspon of each herb that you use, if you plan to brew the herbs like a tea. Put the dried herbs in a jar with a lid and add one cup of boiling water and steep for a half hour or so. Let the hot tea cool down a bit before mixing up the treatment. Use any oil or deep conditioner combination that is best for your hair type.

If you are curious about the recipe I say go to the health food store and ask for fifty cents worth of each herb that you plan to try. You will get a lot of herbs for this amount as they weigh almost nothing.

So, one to two treatments can cost you any where from $5 to $7. If you don't feel like gathering all the ingredients buy the Gold Medal Herbal Tame at www.goldmedalhair.com for about $6 for a one ounce package.

ARMYQT here is the info on the Rainbow jar:

"Rainbow Henna plates each strand of hair. The shade of Henna is reflected through the hair while enhancing your hair's natural color. It is also a conditioner. The cuticle is smoothed by Henna's sealing action, giving the hair a polished look. Regular use of henna texturizes hair, giving it extra body--this becomes evident with each application.

Rainbow henna may be applied every 4 to 6 weeks ."

When you apply the henna, remember to apply it on clean hair. I have had best results applying to dry hair. The treatment is MESSY like a mud pack

It takes a little planning to get done and you may mess up your bathroom in the process.

For more results take a look at a post that Iris started over the weekend about henna.

--kc

Edited to say this: I think that the herbs are important, but if you are not interested in getting them or can't find them, use a conditioner with herbs such as the Nature's Gate Herbal Formula. Or use herbal tea bags like chamomile that you may already have at home.

Kasey and everyone else, thanks so much for all the advice. I'm gonna take my time and gather all the herbs and oils. Once I do, I'm gonna try it on my daughter's hair. I will post a follow-up once I'm done. Again, thanks for all this info. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS. I'm thinking about doing a neutral hennalucent on me. Could help me stretch out my relaxer. HMMM! We'll see. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: I just did another Henna conditioner

I used my Light Mountain (Black) for Grey hair. I have some grey streaks in my hair and when I use Henna I end up with copper streaks. Normally, I use neutral colored Henna, but the Black Henna, turned out great. My streaks are still there. This is a double henna treatment. Step one and two. The first one lays a base to created the copper streaks. Otherwise they would stay gray. The rest of my hair is very dark and rich looking. It looks like I have a very expensive streak job in the front of my hair. My hair feels and looks great, and there is no dryness. I oil my ends on a regular basis with extra virgin olive oil. I wrapped my hair and tied it up with a silk scarf and let it dry naturally overnight. This morning, when I took it down, it was so smooth, I did not have to use my wooden comb for a comb out or my paddle brush. I just smoothed it out in sections with my hands. Even my ends are smooth. Hope this helps. This is my 6 th Henna treatment. Bonjour. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

WARNING: BE CAUTIOUS RE: Baka Beautiful Natural-la

http://www.npr.org/programs/talkingplants/profiles/daphne.html

This is the product that is being sold as a relaxing herb. I am going to also post a couple of sites that give postive and negative reviews. I personally am going to refuse my order because I have asthma and I will risk my health. Just wanted to share. I have never had a problem with henna and I am going to stick with it.
Positive Posts: http://pub39.ezboard.com/fourhairvoicesfrm1.showMessage?topicID=354.topic

Bonjour.

Re: WARNING: BE CAUTIOUS RE: Baka Beautiful Natural-la

okay: Here is the bad and the ugly: Negative Reports!
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fnappyheadsfrm9.showMessage?topicID=45.topic Read all the posts!
quote: one post states and gave me the shudders! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif (It pays to hound the boards for information to avoid being sorry later.) Note: I tried to ask around at different boards and got the cold shoulder and in most cases, no willingness to help!!!!. But I did finally hit some paydirt on this plant. so please BEWARE! Here's that post!Quote:... "This piqued my interest, so I did a little look-up. I found the info below:

Beautiful Natural-Laxer, 28g package (Baka)
An ancient herbal secret has been rediscovered! An imported herbal evergreen plant has been found that gently relaxes and strengthens the hair. Can be used over chemical perms. Stops hair breakage and enhances hair growth. (Baka International Salon) $ 9.95
INGREDIENTS: Daphne Gnidium (FDA and USDA inspected and accepted). Chemical-free.
INSTRUCTIONS:1-SHAMPOO, Rinse, and Towel Dry Hair. 2-POUR one complete package of Natural- Laxer into a mixing bowl. 3-MIX with 8 oz. of HOT water. 4-STIR into smooth paste. 5-APPLY Natural- Laxer to hair. 6-Apply perforated plastic cap. 7-Leave on hair 1 1/2hrs: 1/2hr under dryer/1hr. without. 8-RINSE, Shampoo, Condition and Dry. Do not use on gray or white hair if you wish to maintain the color. Safe for children. No odor or burning.
when I looked up the main ingredient that is suposed to do the straightening, Daphne Gnidium and I found this:
Scientific Noun: Daphne gnidium L.
Family: Daphne family - Thymelaeaceae
Habitat: Mediterranean Europe and middle east. By the Mediterranean woods, shrubs and by the walls of cultivated lands.
Poisons: Mezerein and daphnetoxin.
Active parts:The whole plant, especially the fruits.
Uses: Traditionally it has been used as a drastic purgative, specially its bark dried to be powdered. Externally , applied in the manner of plasters, to get rid of furuncles or for drying wounds. Even to kill hair lice or ticks in animals.
Considering it very poisonous, it is not advisable its use in any of the home preparations mentioned above.
Toxicity: Extreme.
Symptoms: Used internally, it produces a violent irritation of the intestinal mucosas of the digestive tract, which is clearly shown as vomiting, sometimes containing blood, burn, headache, vertigo reduction of heart beat, up to the point of causing death, especially with the ingestion of its fruits that are particularly toxic for children. Similar symptoms are produced when animals eat its fruits, bark or leaves..
When applying plasters on the affected part of the skin, it produces very painful blisters, so it would be better to use another treatments.
Medical treatment: Administration of vomitives, gastric lavage and dermatitis therapy.
This isn't the same thing African Wonder's uses, so although it's got a similar claim, this one really does seem to use herbs. How safe the herb is seems to be in question, though. Any chemists onboard to help out with this?"unquote. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mahalialee's Summary Review: As a result of my findings Ladies:
I have contacted Baka Beautiful TODAY and asked the gentleman if he was aware of the dangers involved with this product. He stated that he was unaware...just answers the phones but ask that I call back after the weekend and speak to a gentleman named Norm. I stated that I was returning my order...he told me to refuse the shipment, return it. He was very pleasant...You know sometimes being indifferent can be dangerous. When in doubt check it out...even if you are not personally interested in trying it...if someone on the boards is interested...let's help each other out.jUST IMAGINE SOME POOR UNSUSPECTING MOTHER PUTTING THIS ON THEIR CHILD'S HEAD OR if they have allergies and ashtma accidentally inhaling a toxic substance unknowingly!!!! I also decided that I would not even give it away for someone else to try, because based on what I have learned, the repurcussions!!!!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Bonjour.

Mahalialee, could I use coconut oil instead of coconut milk cream for the conditioner? I brought some &amp; don't want to waste it.

Jaquai,

I use about 4 oz of henna (just over 100 grams). I use Rainbow red. After a good rinse I use Jasons Henna Hi-Lights to complete slip the little bits out.

hada

If it were me, I would use the coconut oil for a hot oil treatment. Oil and Moisture are two different things. But if you are looking for moisture, I would use the coconut cream and add coconut oil as your oil. Hope this helps. Bonjour. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you for the warning but after what I just went thru with Bodiphier (I lost a lot of my previous-shoulder-length hair!) I wasn't about to try the Baka Beautiful stuff.

The natural henna that you have used, on the other hand, DOES sound very interesting and, more importantly, SAFE &amp; I may try it after my hair "recovers".

What did Bodiphier do to your hair? My mom and sister used it and their hair started to thin out and broke off regardless how much they clipped off. They only had it for a couple of years. But they grew it out finally.

hada

Back