Question for those folks with 3b or 3c hair

Re: Have you seen this great website!!!!!

WOW! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mahalialee4, Thank you so much for this website, I'm still going through it but the Before and After pictures are STUNNING! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I am definately going to save this site. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Okay, I just went to this site and from my understanding the focus is on relaxers. /images/graemlins/frown.gif What struck me that was interesting was some exact phrases that are used on Wanakee's old website. Not really important but just caught my attention because the same phrase I was discussing with someone yesterday. Anyway, the before and after pictures, length and time it took those ladies to grow their hair has struck my curiosity.

I would still love to read her book though. I always believe that you pick up things from different books here and there. I got excited because I thought the growth was from Henna. Oh well, I still appreciate the site very much Mahalialee4 /images/graemlins/smile.gif because before you posted it I had never heard of this woman. I think her book would be another book of information that can be used as a reference in my hair library. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i'm a little skeptical about that site. i dont know something is off. i havent ordered anything from her but i dont see what exactly she is saying is good for the hair and what makes her methods different. but what really made me go /images/graemlins/huh.gif was that she was selling wgo and thermasilk shampoo and condtioner, and then a "growth" scarf. i dont know again i have not read her book nor do i know her methods so i am not criticising her but i dont just dont see anything on her site that suggest what her methods are, all i see if before and after pics which dont leave me with anything to work with. God bless you all.

Re: Lovely Secret!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Iris: A little secret: I have it on authority from some Indian ladies. Some of them have quite unruly hair...it is not all super straight. SOME hair that looks straight is ACTUALLY VERY CURLY and That is why SOME of them use oil and henna so religiously to smooth it and keep it straight looking!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Say it isn't so /images/graemlins/shocked.gif So all that "straight" hair isn't so straight after all /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Many of them sure had me fooled. But then again, <font color="red">that's the power of henna! And Indian women are remarkable examples of henna's ability IF applied correctly!</font> Also, this is a shout out and a great big ((((((THANK YOU)))))) for all you henna users on this board! I'm glad you all have shared your recipes <font color="blue">which have made my first experience such a successful one</font>/images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

I find the stories about all the henna horror experiences quite interesting but then again, those users may not have known how to add the correct moisturizing ingredients to make their experience very positive. Looking at the Indian community and how most of them that I see have all this beautiful black, long, flowing, shiny, waistelength hair, I was quite inspired to research and find out exactly what they were using. However, those sites failed to mention the natural texture of many of the models hair. Somehow I was under the impression that most Indian women had straight hair than not /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Thanks for putting me in the know Mahalialee /images/graemlins/smile.gif And thanks for sharing your haircare routine regarding henna /images/graemlins/grin.gif You, Kasey, Amethyst, CICI24, Hada,Zanna- I can't thank you guys enough for sharing your experiences, and stressing to add some type of moisture, moisture, moisture. Also, thanks Mahalialee for sharing the brand of henna you use. I know that Hennalucent is relatively safe, but I'm more than pleased to hear how you, Kasey and the others have surely put to rest any concerns I have had regarding other types of henna. It all is just a matter of adding the correct moisturizing ingredients /images/graemlins/wink.gif Complaints of dryness and any other negative experience can be corrected. This whole henna discussion has taught me there is a way around everything /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Truly, where there is a will, there certainly is a way!Thanks all you henna-users for sharing! You have revolutionized my whole haircare regimen and I think that alone is cause for celebration! /images/graemlins/cheers.gif /images/graemlins/dance7.gif /images/graemlins/band2.gif

Iris

And thanks for sharing your haircare routine regarding henna You, Kasey, Amethyst, CICI24, Hada,Zanna- I can't thank you guys enough for sharing your experiences, and stressing to add some type of moisture, moisture, moisture.... Thanks all you henna-users for sharing! You have revolutionized my whole haircare regimen and I think that alone is cause for celebration!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh shucks Iris... I feel I have been a great beneficiary from all the henna users who have posted on this thread /images/graemlins/grin.gif I have certainly come away more knowledgeable about the different types of henna and the various preparations that one can utilize to make it a success no matter what the brand!

Amethyst

Mahalialee4 said:
I do not desire to lose my curls, but I have been doing this to get rid of frizz and allow my hair to hang to its maximum length when oiled and conditioned. It is not permanent because it is not a relaxer. To a package of natural neutral (no color) henna, I add: 1/4 cup of moisturizing protein conditioner; a combination of castor oil, Hemp or Olive oil to make up a quarter cup; sage, nettles and corn silk (I make a tea from the sage nettles and cornsilk and add to the henna mixture and then add the oils). Apply to hair and leave on for 2 hours); shampoo and rinse. After about 3 applications spaced a week apart, the curl is loose, hair is very moist and shiny, and the ends are smoother. Combs out easily. When I wrap my hair and dry it, it comes out straight and full of body. The longer you use it the looser the curl.There are no chemicals. Just herbs. Hope this works for you as well as it does for me. ( I am a 3b, but now I am more of a 3c-2b.) When you stop doing this treatment, your hair will just return to the regular texture. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb question, but does your hair "go back"? DUH, I guess it would when you grow your hair out.

HOw di dyou hear about this.

Re: RELAXER DAMAGE????

Actually, Mahlialee, after initially dismissing this because my hair &amp; not my scalp were impaired, I went back &amp; read this site -- it actually had some good input on, among other things, how vitamins C &amp; E can help control symptoms associated with thinning hair, which i never knew about. When dealing with hair problems, it helps to remember that the hair is not an island unto itself -- it must be nourished wholistically through the scalp and diet as well. Thanks for this link.....

Mahalialee4,

You are a real sweatheart! /images/graemlins/smile.gif That was so nice of you to give some more information that we can read up on. I am definately appreciative. Thank you.

Mahalialee, you are something else! Thank you for the diligent research and wonderful links you've provided for us /images/graemlins/clap.gif <font color="blue">Also, a great big BEAR HUG to you</font> for sharing your henna recipe and the info on the coconut cream conditioner /images/graemlins/grin.gif I think I'm going to be hours if not days reading and absorbing all this wonderful information going on with these henna threads! Once more, muchas gracias for all the fabulous information and sharing you have provided us! What an asset and absolute treasure you have been /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif

BONJOUR/images/graemlins/wave.gif
Amethyst

Bumping for Ennyaa . As you know by now, this is a whole thread about henna. Whatever you decide to do, let us know /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Amethyst

Jaquai, ArmyQT and LS
So, one to two treatments can cost you any where from $5 to $7. If you don't feel like gathering all the ingredients buy the Gold Medal Herbal Tame at www.goldmedalhair.com for about $6 for a one ounce package.
I'm going to try henna.
http://www.goldmedalhair.com/1008/lg_display.cfm?page_number=4&catalog=080180
I'll have it applied at the salon before a rollerset.
The henna is pre-mixed with the other herbs to minimize the mess.

I did a strand test with Herbal Tame by Gold Medal.
Below are pictures from before, during, and after the Herbal Tame application.

I cut some coils form the nape of my neck and put them in a clamp.
(The kinda clamp you use to hold a bag of potato chips shut.)

0621 Before combed pic = clamp at the bottom of the frame
0623 During pic = brown goop with hair in it (overnight)
0626 After wet pic = wet coils
0631 After dry uncombed pic = dry coils
0633 After dry combed pic = very similar to the before pic, but with clamp at top of the frame. The act of combing pulled some of the hair out of the clamp.

Attachments

• IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I did a strand test with Herbal Tame by Gold Medal.
Below are pictures from before, during, and after the Herbal Tame application.

I cut some coils form the nape of my neck and put them in a clamp.
(The kinda clamp you use to hold a bag of potato chips shut.)

0621 Before combed pic = clamp at the bottom of the frame
0623 During pic = brown goop with hair in it (overnight)
0626 After wet pic = wet coils
0631 After dry uncombed pic = dry coils
0633 After dry combed pic = very similar to the before pic, but with clamp at top of the frame. The act of combing pulled some of the hair out of the clamp.

It doesn't look like it shrunk much when it dried. What do you think? How did it condition the strands? Were they softer than before?

I just rinsed out the Herbal Tame and left it all on the sink to dry.

The strands were dry and stiff afterward. Not soft, but stronger. They didn't droop/hang against the sink anymore after drying (pic 0631). I'd need a DEEP moisturizing conditioner henna and daphne gnidium.

I was pleased that the strands dried loose without drawing up much. I want my rollersets to last longer with Herbal Tame.

My 2nd Herbal Tame application in 2 days shows a visible elongation of the coil.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 14
I am trying to find a perm for folks with curly hair. I have curls and whenever i get a relaxer my hair stays curly and it just gets more brittle. So tell me, curlgirls, just how do you get the curl out????

LOL you don't ! I relaxed my hair on and off since I was a child and it ALWAYS reverted as soon as there was any humid weather
winter was my fav season :grin:

Back