QUESTION ABOUT PRE-POOING

Mandy4610

I HOPE THIS QUESTION HAS NOT BEEN ASKED 3 MILLIONS TIMES ALREADY, BUT CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE BENEFITS OF PRE-POOING?
IF THERE ARE OTHER POSTS ABOUT THIS ALREADY PLEASE GIVE ME THE LINKS.:grin: TIA.

Hi, I like to pre-poo b/c I like to treat my hair with protein and moisture on the same wash day. So what I do is pre-poo with a protein conditioner and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Other benefits are the conditioner helps to shield the hair from the harsh ingredients in shampoos, dry hair can absorb more product and some people don't like jumping in and out of the shower, so the pre-poo allows you to deep condition first before ever getting in the shower, then once you are in the shower you just shampoo, rinse and maybe add another conditioner and let that stay on while you finish your shower and then you're done. No "shower hopping" so to speak. Does that make sense?:look:

I agree with Silkii_locks, shampooing is drying and it strips your hair of the natural oils and minerals. Prepooing helps to counter the bad affects of shampooing and it also helps with tangling during the shampoo process.

Hi, I like to pre-poo b/c I like to treat my hair with protein and moisture on the same wash day. So what I do is pre-poo with a protein conditioner and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. Other benefits are the conditioner helps to shield the hair from the harsh ingredients in shampoos, dry hair can absorb more product and some people don't like jumping in and out of the shower, so the pre-poo allows you to deep condition first before ever getting in the shower, then once you are in the shower you just shampoo, rinse and maybe add another conditioner and let that stay on while you finish your shower and then you're done. No "shower hopping" so to speak. Does that make sense?:look:
That makes absolute sense. Thank you very much. Do you prepoo-Shampoo-DC, in that order?

I've read that pre-pooing with coconut oil helps to reduce protein loss from shampooing. There was a study on coconut versus other types of oil that was once posted on LHCF but I can't locate the link.

I did find this on the Parachute Coconut Oil site (http://parachuteadvansed.com/hair_mgmt1.php):

Pre-application of coconut hair oil decreased protein loss by 13% - 27% depending on hair type. This effect is also seen in bleached hair, where the protein loss reduces up to 17%. On thermally damaged hair, the protein loss reduced up to 13% - 45%.
Pre application of coconut oil also reduces the water retention index (WRI) of hair. WRI reflects the swelling behavior of hair. Since repeated swelling and contraction damages the cuticle, reduction of WRI is useful in reducing hair damage. As compared to hair treated by oils other than coconut hair oil, the WRI decreases by 44%. This reduction is seen in all types of hair - undamaged, bleached and thermally treated hair.

I've read that pre-pooing with coconut oil helps to reduce protein loss from shampooing. There was a study on coconut versus other types of oil that was once posted on LHCF but I can't locate the link.

I did find this on the Parachute Coconut Oil site (http://parachuteadvansed.com/hair_mgmt1.php):

Pre-application of coconut hair oil decreased protein loss by 13% - 27% depending on hair type. This effect is also seen in bleached hair, where the protein loss reduces up to 17%. On thermally damaged hair, the protein loss reduced up to 13% - 45%.
Pre application of coconut oil also reduces the water retention index (WRI) of hair. WRI reflects the swelling behavior of hair. Since repeated swelling and contraction damages the cuticle, reduction of WRI is useful in reducing hair damage. As compared to hair treated by oils other than coconut hair oil, the WRI decreases by 44%. This reduction is seen in all types of hair - undamaged, bleached and thermally treated hair.

Thank you for this!

Thanks everyone. I guess I should start prepooing more often especially b/c my 4wk NG is starting to drive me a little crazy.

Back