Question about Co-Washing

LadyJ76

Hey Ladies,

I've been trying to get this con washing thing down, but it still seems to be hit or miss for me. I've been using the recommended Suave Conds, but I still think I need more moisture. Can I add Jojoba or other essential oils to the conditioners and still get the same effectiveness? Will adding oils defeat the purpose of washing? I've been working out 3-4x a week and am hoping the co-washing is enought to cleanse my scalp and hair of all the sweat, which I'm told really breaks down your hair. I have relaxed hair and just recently go highlights so I really need the moisture. Please let me know what you think.

Relaxed or natural, if you're not using a lot of products on your hair then conditioner washing should be adequate to remove debris and dirt from your hair. Rinsing thoroughly should get rid of the salt that sweat leaves behind. Adding oils to your conditioners should be fine. It doesn't defeat the purpose. I would recommend V05 conditioners though. I find them to be more moisturizing than Suave in general. That's my 2 cents! HTH:)

Hello.... I've constantly read on this forum that oils do not equal moisture, so how would oils help?

Could it be that a product (or more than one) is somehow coating the hair and not allowing the moisture (water) to get into the hair at all?

RelaxerRehab said:
Hello.... I've constantly read on this forum that oils do not equal moisture, so how would oils help?

Could it be that a product (or more than one) is somehow coating the hair and not allowing the moisture (water) to get into the hair at all?

Natural oils like avocado, extra virgin coconut, and jojoba lubricate the hair shaft and help seal moisture.

curlilocs said:
Natural oils like avocado, extra virgin coconut, and jojoba lubricate the hair shaft and help seal moisture.

So is lubricate the same as moisturize? The coconut and jojoba oil did the same thing on my hair: just sat on top of the hair.... even hours later.

By lubricate I mean in terms of adding oil to lubricate a hinge...to get it moving, make it more pliable, am I making sense? I know a lot of people can't take direct oils, but the natural oils have fatty acid chains that can be benefical to overall hair health. While they may not "mositurize" since oil and water do not mix, they have properties that can be absorbed by the hair and I'm sure won't hurt, even if they do appear to be sitting on top of the hair. Also I think b/c oils seem light we tend to over apply. I'm finding that I don't need much oil at all mixed in with conditioners or product. HTH some!

curlilocs said:
By lubricate I mean in terms of adding oil to lubricate a hinge...to get it moving, make it more pliable, am I making sense? I know a lot of people can't take direct oils, but the natural oils have fatty acid chains that can be benefical to overall hair health. While they may not "mositurize" since oil and water do not mix, they have properties that can be absorbed by the hair and I'm sure won't hurt, even if they do appear to be sitting on top of the hair. Also I think b/c oils seem light we tend to over apply. I'm finding that I don't need much oil at all mixed in with conditioners or product. HTH some!
Great explaination curlilocs! Gurl, I needed you in Walmart the other day when I couldn't explain proteins, body, and collegens(sp)to this guy :lol:

Also, to the OP give your hair time to get its moisture back. It's not going to happen after a few cowashes.(IMO)

curlilocs said:

Yes this does, esp. the part about the overapplication.... Thank you!

LadyJ:

Like curlilocs said, if you're not using a whole lot of products on your hair (especially 'cone loaded leave-ins) then co-washing can work pretty good for someone who washes frequently. Make sure your leave-ins and serums are 'cone free and if they're not, then you may need to get 'cone free leave-ins.

When I first tried co-washing, I couldn't understand why my hair stayed so dry until I FINALLY understood the need to avoid 'cones in order to successfully co-wash frequently.

HTH

Regards,
Neroli

Neroli said:
LadyJ:

Like curlilocs said, if you're not using a whole lot of products on your hair (especially 'cone loaded leave-ins) then co-washing can work pretty good for someone who washes frequently. Make sure your leave-ins and serums are 'cone free and if they're not, then you may need to get 'cone free leave-ins.

When I first tried co-washing, I couldn't understand why my hair stayed so dry until I FINALLY understood the need to avoid 'cones in order to successfully co-wash frequently.

HTH

Regards,
Neroli

Can you give some examples of cone free leave ins?

Thank you for all the info.

Curlilocs: I think I will try the VO5 conditioners just to compare the amount of moisture it gives to the Suave.

Neroli: My products seem to have little to no cones except for my serum. I use Kerecare Silken Seal. Are there any serums out there that do not have cones? Should I skip using the serum? This is usually my last step after I apply Giovanni Direct leave-in (my love thanks to LHCF) and jojoba oil to the ends of my hair. I think I have heard that there are some serums that are water soluble, would that be a better choice to use if I am co-washing?

Back