Quality Vs Price

High End Vs Lower end which do you prefer?

• I spend $10-$30 on hair products this is my max

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • I spend $31-$50 on hair products this is my max

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I spend $51-$75 on hair product this is my max

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
When it comes to purchasing a product do you look at the ingredients to see if it is organic? Contains harmful substances? Ingredients you can pronounce? Do you not care about those things and just focus on cost?

Coconut anything doesn't work in my hair so I bypass all of that. Other than that, I don't care tooooo much about what's in it, I just need it to work :look: I also use professional products mostly nowadays so price can make or break my purchase. I have a couple lines I want to try but as much as I love my hair $75 conditioner is not what's up.

When encountering a given product, the first thing I scrutinize is its ingredient list because, for me, the most important aspect of any product is its content; specifically, what types of conditioning agents (e.g., oils, butters, humectants, fatty alcohols, emollients, hydrolyzed proteins, etc.) does it contain and in what concentrations. The next thing I consider is its size to price ratio. A product that is small in size (8oz or less) with a hefty price tag ($15 or more) that doesn't contain premium ingredients will be discarded in favor of larger, less pricey alternative with better ingredients. I don't care if a product is organic and I have no problems pronouncing the common ingredients found in hair products.

FWIW, if you are doing research, it would be nice to see something more than the average aloe vera, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, shea butter, mango butter + silk/some other hydrolyzed protein + an emulsifier type of product.

I support black businesses as well as OTG brands. I do look for certain ingredients (emollients, fatty alcohols, etc.) as well. I tend to spend more money on things that will be left in my hair verses things that will be rinsed out. For this reason, I don't mind ordering my leave ins and hair creams online, and getting my shampoos and DCs on the ground and cheaper. I don't pay more than $15 or $16 per 8 ounces though.
For shampoos and DCs, I'm not paying more than $10.00, I don't care how many ounces.
I've steered away from ordering exclusively handmade like I used to because the long wait times and consistency issues were starting to get on my nerves. Annabelle's Perfect Blends and Smooth Naturals are the only two I order hair products from now.

Quality products do not have to be expensive. In selecting products I rely on ingredient lists and reviews from LHCF. The LHCF ladies are wonderful and have introduced me to what I now consider my staple products.

I am also on a mission to exclusively support black businesses. The Dark & Lovely/Clairol/Avlon of the hair world were not around when I was transitioning to natural. Why support them now? All this to say that there are many factors involved in how I select products.

@NaturallyATLPCH

I agree. Wait times & Consistency issues are a problem.

This is true, but it is handmade. I understand that my order isn't the only order and that fresh batches take time to make. I try to be accommodative to that fact. I also try to stock up on major sales so I wont have to wait for products.

As for consistency, I think thats an exception and not the rule for small businesses. I've never had issue with Jakeala, or heard of issues with APB and others. For the most part, our sisters are doing a great job at giving us quality products.

Coconut anything doesn't work in my hair so I bypass all of that. Other than that, I don't care tooooo much about what's in it, I just need it to work :look: I also use professional products mostly nowadays so price can make or break my purchase. I have a couple lines I want to try but as much as I love my hair $75 conditioner is not what's up.
The only ingredient that I look to avoid as much as possible and I also started buying more professional products which I agree, can but a serious dent in my pockets.

Last edited:
When it comes to purchasing a product do you look at the ingredients to see if it is organic? Contains harmful substances? Ingredients you can pronounce? Do you not care about those things and just focus on cost?

I typically purchase products based on reviews from this forum. I usually don't focus on ingredients, but whether or not my hair likes it and its reasonably priced.

Interesting. The most I have spent on a hair product was $32 for miss jessies baby buttercreme which was not worth it. The ingredients were rubbish but it left some of my hair very soft but some parts (front and back) were stiff. I would spend $75 or more on a hair product if the ingredients are on point and the product has good reviews. I'm about quality and ingredients. I have tried cheaper products and got a rash, burns, itchiness and clog pores which led to hair loss. After hearing about the negative effects some of these ingredients can have on our bodies I try to buy better quality products. It's like if I spend $75 for an 8oz conditioner make it worth my while. Like it better smell good, packaging better be on point, my hair better love it, nice consistency.

I would like to create some hair products but because I don't live in the U.S it is kinda hard to make it affordable it's a lot of taxes....expenses etc. My ingredients would be high quality organic and very unique. Creative packaging and potent. Tooo expensive... sigh..

Are you looking to create hair products to sell? I see you are a new member here, so welcome to the hair board. I 2nd the question originally asked by slimpicknez, is this for your own personal research so that you know what people would be willing to pay for your products? If this is research for a price point on selling your hair products, I think you would 1st need to provide creditability. People will buy if they see results. You are probably not familiar with a former member here by the name of njoy. She didn't start her 1st post implying the sell of products. She showed the results of dedicated hair practices and the use of an oil that she shared her ingredients and eventually began selling to the masses.

To answer your question, it depends on the product. I would not spend 75 on a conditioner unless it said that it could grow my hair to WL in a week.

I def prefer quality but I think you can get a quality product without spending close to 100 bucks. I spend that on hair appliances like a hair dryer or a flat iron but def would not spend that on a was out product.

I don't care too much about the price as long as my hair responds well to it. Most homemade natural stuff is too heavy for my hair...it's almost like all the ingredients are oils and butters just switched around anyway...depending on the vendor. I have my staples and I'm not too keen on trying new stuff. I tend to like products with a nice blend of natural and synthetic ingrediants, available on the ground so I can return it if I don't like it. I tend to shop in places like Target, Sally's, salons and discount stores such as TJ Maxx. I have 0 interest in ordering online from etsy or any other online hair place. Growing and retaining natural hair in my experience is less about products and more about techniques and practices so products really don't appeal to me that much (anymore). I just want my hair to feel good but most importantly look good.

This is true, but it is handmade. I understand that my order isn't the only order and that fresh batches take time to make. I try to be accommodative to that fact. I also try to stock up on major sales so I wont have to wait for products.

As for consistency, I think thats an exception and not the rule for small businesses. I've never had issue with Jakeala, or heard of issues with APB and others. For the most part, our sisters are doing a great job at giving us quality products.

Yes, I understand that it's handmade. However, I have never had any consistency or performance issues with APB. For 3 years, everytime I've ordered from Erica, the consistency and performance has been the same. That's saying something. Once you have correct ratios, your products should be very close each time.

I'll give you a couple of examples of inconsistencies. When Ynobe shop was open, her Amla and Nettle DC was creamy. The last couple of batches I got were runny. While she did rectify the situation, if you have proper ratios and formulations, the consistencies shouldn't be that drastic.

Soultanicals is another one who has had some consistency/performance issues.

I have supported MANY small businesses that produce handmade products over my 5 year natural journey. I'm now very vigilant about who I will and will not support because some of them have remained very consistent over the years and I appreciate that. It can be done.

I don't care too much about the price as long as my hair responds well to it. Most homemade natural stuff is too heavy for my hair...it's almost like all the ingredients are oils and butters just switched around anyway...depending on the vendor. I have my staples and I'm not too keen on trying new stuff. I tend to like products with a nice blend of natural and synthetic ingrediants, available on the ground so I can return it if I don't like it. I tend to shop in places like Target, Sally's, salons and discount stores such as TJ Maxx. I have 0 interest in ordering online from etsy or any other online hair place. Growing and retaining natural hair in my experience is less about products and more about techniques and practices so products really don't appeal to me that much (anymore). I just want my hair to feel good but most importantly look good.

When people realize this, life would be easier. It's about technique. I just like buying and trying but I'm even moving past this stage :lachen:.

I started my natural journey with a lot of the start up vendors that started out on Nappturality. I've seen a lot of performance issues and product changes so I give a little leeway for startups. The only thing I don't stand for is mold/molding products after one use.

Number one reason I don't mess with Camille Rose anymore.

I voted for $51-$75 because I love kerastase and Pureology products but I also love some lower priced products as well.

I don't care for hand made products however because they expire and go rancid a whole lot faster than I can use them. And I buy a lot of products at one time so I can't afford the ultimate loss of spoiled products in short amounts of time. Quality and price matter to me but if I had to choose one over the other, I would definitely choose quality.

Last edited:
I voted for $10-30. Personally, I think there are two many quality brands and products to justify spending more, I like to cap my spending at $20 for a product. I do like supporting small or black businesses that make handmade products but I am becoming more hesitant sit I rely on reviews here and on YouTube.

Just about finish making a shampoo and conditioner sadly I compromised the ingredients to reduce the price. Now I'm like this isn't my vision I wanted to make high quality products with unique ingredients. Not some cheap mediocre product. *Sigh* I almost don't even want to bother anymore. Like I'm suppose to be happy and 100% pleased with the product not be like I should've used this that and that instead of that smt.

So then this thread was for personal research.......

Somewhat. I also wanted to know if anybody tried christophe robin prickly pear hair mask,(I want to try it was hoping for reviews) ojon, ouidad, Moroccanoil or those macadamia products. I tried the macadamia nourishing moisture masque and Hallelujah instantly detangled my hair..my hair was soft as silk. I mean everyone uses shea moisture,camille rose,tgin,hairveda,anita grant,shescenit etc.

Back