Quality Vs Price

High End Vs Lower end which do you prefer?

• I spend $10-$30 on hair products this is my max

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • I spend $31-$50 on hair products this is my max

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I spend $51-$75 on hair product this is my max

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
I don't care about organic (though I do care about sustainably sourced palm oil) and preservatives usually won't make or break my decision. I just need for your sheeeeeet to work. Period.

When I purchase, I do look at ingredients mostly because I want quality ingredients but I also don't want to see them as the last ingredients. I like to see water as the first ingredient and I am one of those people who will open a jar of conditioner to see its texture. When I see glycerin anywhere but the end of the list I don't even bother. Honestly, I don't want to see glycerin. Glycerin and Water? Now that's just highway robbery and your insulting my intelligence.

I am for natural and synthetic ingredients along with quality ingredients but I also know what works and does not for me and I tend to stick with what does work. For example, shea moisture does not work for me. As much as I try, it just does not work. APB always works and I use her products that I know work on my hair. Shea Moisture is about $12 a jar for 12-16 ounces. APB is about the same price for 8 ounces. So I'll spend more for less if it works. Let's also look at Nexxus. The new Humectress has proteins a bit higher on the list for a moisturizing conditioner in comparison to the old formula (yes, I look at that too). Keraphix has proteins a bit further on the list. Youth Renewal has proteins high on the list. All conditioners roughly the same price. I prefer Youth Renewal, Keraphix then Humectress. Next, Im mostly picky when it comes to proteins, as my hair only responds to silk, keratin, elastin, collagen and pearl proteins, otherwise, I just need your product to be worth the dollars when I factor in what I'm making per hour. And I need it to work. If I spend $12 for your high quality conditioner and it just isn't up to par (quality, ingredients, turn around time, customer, service, consistency) and I spent $12 on someone else's high quality conditioner with all the same factors and it works, does price really matter?

Since you are attempting to formulate a product line, I'm sure you will go through hundreds of 'test' products before you reach a workable product that can somewhat be massed produced.

And as a business owner you should be willing to do that.

So, in my opinion, you shouldn't be concerned about how many times it takes you to reach a desirable finished product.

That's one reason Handmade/Naturals run into terrible consistency issues (among other things).

And trust me, if folks are putting out their hard earned money, they don't want to see: lumps, clumps, separation, color variations, hair, mold and unidentified objects in their products.

So, keep trying and take your time.

@Karribean_Kurls

What I'm concerned about is compromising and making a cheap mediocre product which will be more affordable and easier to sell VS giving you the very best high quality unique luxurious on point product and being happy about it.

I have tried the more expensive products foolishly believing they would be better and for me it is not so much about the price but what is in it.
There is lots of stuff my hair does not do well with, with that said my buying habits have changed. I don't really try new products anymore and I have reduced my regimen drastically. Turns out my hair likes consistency go figure lol.
Anyway about the price some of my conditioners do run close to $30 and I will stick with those but if the price was to go up I would probably seek out a new product.

Somewhat. I also wanted to know if anybody tried christophe robin prickly pear hair mask,(I want to try it was hoping for reviews) ojon, ouidad, Moroccanoil or those macadamia products. I tried the macadamia nourishing moisture masque and Hallelujah instantly detangled my hair..my hair was soft as silk. I mean everyone uses shea moisture,camille rose,tgin,hairveda,anita grant,shescenit etc.

I tried ojon which was awesome years ago but today it is meh
Ouidad I could never get quite right
Out of all the things on your list the only product line I use is Anita Grant

Did I say something was wrong with it??? It is very good to support black businesses. I just wanted to simply know besides those products have you tried anything high end or different.

I've found that what's in a product matters. I used to use any old thing and wonder why my hair was impossible. I don't think price point matters as much, because cheap stuff may work for you. Nowadays, I use things geared towards natural hair. If I buy something pricy than it has to be jumbo size. I am loathe to buy shea moisture because it goes above $10 for these small little containers of product.... Camille Rose forget it. Maybe in a couple months/years.

Wow. Have to find my target market..... I use to keep it cheap and well hair loss, burning, itching, lumps was not worth it. Shea moisture is a favorite and camille rose which are both very affordable and great products with decent ingredients. I just can't stand rubbish ingredients.

A lot of people are getting cancer nowadays and it's not just because of the food they eat. You have to becareful of what you put on your hair and skin. Don't put a price tag on your health.

http://hair.allwomenstalk.com/commonly-used-chemicals-your-hair-is-better-off-without
http://www.healthychild.org/chemicals-to-avoid-in-your-personal-care-products/

PROPYLENE GLYCOL BICAPRYLATE/DICAPRATE, PPG-1 TRIDECETH-6, DIMETHICONE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, DMDM HYDANTOIN, IMIDAZLIDINYL UREA, CL, YELLOW, POLYSORBATE 20, PARFUM/FRAGRANCE, BENZYL BENZOATE, BENZYL SALICYLATE, COUMARIN, D-LIMONENE, HEXYL CINNAMAL, LYRAL, METHYL IONONE GAMMA. <<<IS THIS SPANISH???

For me it depends on the product. Since I use rinse out conditioners more than any other product, I keep the price point on those things on the lower end. Makes no sense for me to spend $20 on something I'm only going to use 3-4 times - especially as my hair gets longer and transitioning hair gets thicker again. I tend to spend more on shampoos (mostly professional/salon brands), treatments (protein/reconstructing conditioners) and some stylers. Lately I've been blending my own oils and butters again.

I haven't purchased much homemade/smaller brand products in a while because I may not get what I want for the price. Like @lulu97 mentioned, I want to be able to return a product if it doesn't work for me. I tend to buy from Walgreens, Target, Marshall's, Ulta, Sally's - places with return policies.

Wow. Have to find my target market..... I use to keep it cheap and well hair loss, burning, itching, lumps was not worth it. Shea moisture is a favorite and camille rose which are both very affordable and great products with decent ingredients. I just can't stand rubbish ingredients.

Here is something to consider: Is cheap bad quality or low price? You can make an affordable product that has quality ingredients in decent proportions. That's doesn't make it cheap. That makes it practical. If you get 3 customers and one doesn't want to buy, is that your fault. You can't get everyone but you can find your target and make it work. If you have 15 ingredients and 5-10 are all quality ingredients, that plays a big factor.

Given your comments, I'm assuming that your target market would be individuals who are willing to pay $30+ for 8oz of product because you keep using the terms "quality" and "high end" (possibly to justify the expected price tag). If you sincerely want to see examples of quality handmade products being offered at a reasonable price, I recommend that you take look at Bobeam, as @shawnyblazes mentioned; as well as Anabelle's Perfect Blends, Silk Dreams, Naturelle Grow, Pura Body Naturals and Texture Me Natural, just to name a few.

As far as chemicals and possible carcinogens in hair products, you're not going to find as big a hoopla as you are hoping for with that issue. Simply put, some people are less concerned with those matters since most of what we come into contact with on this planet has been polluted. Unless a consumer has personally experienced adverse effects from a given additive, this issue is low on their totem pole of concerns.

Okay prickly pear oil is awesomeee but veryyyy expensive. Like caviar, white truffle oil. Plus I'm thinking like 30 ingredients in a leave in and like 40ish in a deep conditioner. I just can't do simple I'm extravagant everything has to be over the top.

Okay prickly pear oil is awesomeee but veryyyy expensive. Like caviar, white truffle oil. Plus I'm thinking like 30 ingredients in a leave in and like 40ish in a deep conditioner. I just can't do simple I'm extravagant everything has to be over the top.

@Karribean_Kurls

Those all sound very nice.

In your 30-ish for a L-I and 4o-ish for a DC'er, you have to ensure all 30 or 4o ingredients play well together and that there is some synergy to enhance performance.

Just adding 30 or 40 ingredients w/o knowing how they will all work together may be costly and futile.

Good Luck with your vision.

Ingredients in the product are not the only factor that influences price.

Bring down your cost of production with volume and efficiency.

This might seem crazy to ask, but why so many ingredients? I have seen it posted many times that simple works best for lots of LCHF members. If you have 30 to 40 ingredients in an 8 oz bottle what are the ratios? What about 5-10 EXCELLENT ingredients that work well together and give the results that consumers are looking for? Don't we all know that the first ingredients listed are the largest in quantity?
As a consumer this would turn me off, I would glance at the label and put it right back. Just my opinion.

A product with 30-40 ingredients would end up right back on the shelf. I care about the first 5-7 ingredients. If I pick up a $5 product that boasts about avocado oil and has great reviews but the oil is lower than 7th on the ingredient list it goes back on the shelf. If I pick up a $30 product with the same claims and reviews and avocado is 3rd on the list I'll buy it. You could have 99 luxurious ingredients in a product but if they're preceded by 99 others it's going back on the shelf. Sometimes less is more.

A product with 30-40 ingredients would end up right back on the shelf. I care about the first 5-7 ingredients. If I pick up a $5 product that boasts about avocado oil and has great reviews but the oil is lower than 7th on the ingredient list it goes back on the shelf. If I pick up a $30 product with the same claims and reviews and avocado is 3rd on the list I'll buy it. You could have 99 luxurious ingredients in a product but if they're preceded by 99 others it's going back on the shelf. Sometimes less is more.
My point exactly!

Back