Purpose Driven Deception!

Nice & Wavy

I wanted to share this message here with the believers on this forum and those who are not members, but lurk here. There are things being said that does not line up with the true Word of God. Do not be deceived!

I didn't put this here for debate, but for you to read and to do your own study on the subject.

Blessings...N&W

Don't be deceived, God is not mocked...for whatsoever a man sows, he shall reap. (Galatians 6:7)

But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:8)

The gospel is a message about redemption, not life’s purpose.
(John MacArthur)

There is a “New Spirituality” being preached under the banner of evangelical Christianity today. It is so subtle in its guise that even the most bible-based Christians easily find it compelling. Its cleverness lies in its use of “fresh” terminology, which allows it to mix New Age concepts into the Christian faith. This is not a one man revolution, but proponents of this new thinking are mixed through almost every church and denomination. Its borders with the truth are fuzzy to the extent that the new way of thinking has impacted almost every Christian in some way or another. This does not aim to be a comprehensive resource; just an alert message with a few key points.

The Seeker Sensitive movement
Being seeker sensitive sounds like something we should all want to be. But is the result when unbelievers determine the christian message. Also, is the true gospel intended to be “seeker sensitive”, or is it a deeply convicting message that may often be offensive? Jesus said that the world hated him for his message:

The world cannot hate you, but it hates Me because I testify of it that its works are evil. (John 7:7)

The false Christianity of End Times

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be…, …having a form of godliness but denying its power. (II Timothy 3:1,2,5)

In this passage the character of people in the end times is not described as being atheistic or even satanic, but rather it indicates that the prevailing characteristic is that men will follow a watered down form of the truth. This fits with the agenda of many New Age teachers and prominent globalists; that of establishing a One World Religion. This is an agenda with purpose, its proponents are driven, and it is ultimately a deception. It seems to me that the parable of the wheat, and the tares and the parable of the mustard tree, both seem very relevant to a form of modern Christianity that has much outward growth, but very mixed fruit.

I've been thinking about this for a while with the LOA and all of these self-help, prosperity, purpose driven :blah: books. It might SEEM like it lines up with the Word but do not be deceived! God's word is the answer. I refuse to be lukewarm for God in order to make non believers feel at ease around me. No! They should know that I'm different, they should see that light inside of me. And I refuse to tailor and water down God's word to fit my wants. Everything that looks good ain't of God.

Thank you for sharing. This is good food for thought, because we must be aware.

1 Peter 5:8 - Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

I've noticed this when political correctness enters church teachings. Jesus is NOT politically correct.
Jesus said, "I am The Way, The Truth and The Life: NO MAN cometh unto the Father, BUT BY ME." Not Jesus and other religions or other messages/ways of thought apart from the gospel. Jesus will NOT share His throne with any other INCLUDING us.

Yes, this really bothers me and why I decided to stop attending the "mega-church" where I was going. It was all touchy-feely and great but they did not inspire their people to grow. Messages were sweet and touching but of course, there were messages on tithing correctly. That always gets me. What's sad is that when you get to know some of the members, you can see how they are fazed by the whole thing b/c they don't know anything differently. And it's really sad.

I know someone who became a Christian at this church and was baptized with her live-in boyfriend at the time. It's been 4 years or so since she became a Christian and she has never owned a bible until I gave her one a few weeks ago. I do not stand in judgment of her but I do stand in judgment of the church. They have not given her the tools she needs to grow or inspired her to grow and it's very sad.

Oh My Lord....This speaks volumes. After listening to Paul Washer's Shocking Message, I began to think about really getting to know Jesus. So I began reading Matthews. It was amazing how anyone that spread the gospel wasnt "nice" about it, including Jesus. I was convicted and thought "If God choose me, I have to get serious about this thing." Thank you for posting.

Oh My Lord....This speaks volumes. After listening to Paul Washer's Shocking Message, I began to think about really getting to know Jesus. So I began reading Matthews. It was amazing how anyone that spread the gospel wasnt "nice" about it, including Jesus. I was convicted and thought "If God choose me, I have to get serious about this thing." Thank you for posting.
I listened to this message last night. I'm so used to this type of teaching. I am aware that not everyone does though in this country and so, yes...it would be considered 'shocking' for some.

The gospel is the plain truth. Not everyone is going to want to hear the truth though...and may even think that when you do present it to them, that you are cramming something down their throat. Their fight is not with you, but actually with Jesus...so, don't be concerned about what others think of you and what they say. The one thing I know for sure is that Jesus got our back!

They did it to Jesus and you and I are not exempt. They called Him every name under the sun...yet, He continued on with His calling and He told them the truth.

Jesus proclaimed the message regardless of what the "world" thought about Him. He told us to go forth and also proclaim that same message and that "signs and wonders will follow us" when we do. The message isn't going to always be "flowery words" that most want to hear.:yep:

It's wonderful to be a believer in Jesus Christ and to proclaim His message of salvation to all who will listen.:yep:

Thank you. I have heard messages like this even with my pastor but something about Paul's deliverence just makes you want to get on your knees and start repenting for stuff you didnt even do...:pray::lachen:

However, I struggle with a fine line between being conveying the gospel and making sure its done in love and not arrogance like...because I know this and you dont know this it makes me more "spiritual" then you.

I listened to this message last night. I'm so used to this type of teaching. I am aware that not everyone does though in this country and so, yes...it would be considered 'shocking' for some.

The gospel is the plain truth. Not everyone is going to want to hear the truth though...and may even think that when you do present it to them, that you are cramming something down their throat. Their fight is not with you, but actually with Jesus...so, don't be concerned about what others think of you and what they say. The one thing I know for sure is that Jesus got our back!

They did it to Jesus and you and I are not exempt. They called Him every name under the sun...yet, He continued on with His calling and He told them the truth.

Jesus proclaimed the message regardless of what the "world" thought about Him. He told us to go forth and also proclaim that same message and that "signs and wonders will follow us" when we do. The message isn't going to always be "flowery words" that most want to hear.:yep:

It's wonderful to be a believer in Jesus Christ and to proclaim His message of salvation to all who will listen.:yep:

YEah, they were saying this about Joel Oelsteen on youtube. They said that he never, never or very, very rarely preaches about sin or trys to bring someone out of sin. This is deceiving to them and stunts their growth. He is goin to have to pay for that.

I was listening to another 2hr message by Paul Washer and he started talking about preachers being concerned with giving the church their "Best Life Now." I was like..."did he...did he...did he...just call out Olsteen...oh snap"...:lachen::lachen::lachen:

YEah, they were saying this about Joel Oelsteen on youtube. They said that he never, never or very, very rarely preaches about sin or trys to bring someone out of sin. This is deceiving to them and stunts their growth. He is goin to have to pay for that.

My heart aches while I listen to this message on youtube. There are friends that I have that have left the church because of the way church is. They are looking for a true gospel and not one of u r getting a house or a car or the prosperity sermon. Your heartaches when u go to church on Sunday and u c the same people doing the same old thing.

I think I bought purpose driven life but never used it because I was supposed to do it with my friend. I guess that's a good thing then.

A Pastor I know who is sickly and walks with a cane and hunched over we were talking one day and he said whenever you c some mega churches where are the sick, the lame, the blind and the hopeless. He said u c the finely dressed up front. When he turned to walk out he said if this is my best life I don't want is. As he left tears rolled down my face.

Thank you. I have heard messages like this even with my pastor but something about Paul's deliverence just makes you want to get on your knees and start repenting for stuff you didnt even do...:pray::lachen:

However, I struggle with a fine line between being conveying the gospel and making sure its done in love and not arrogance like...because I know this and you dont know this it makes me more "spiritual" then you.
His deliverance was one of 'burning passion'. I loved it as well!

ITA with the bolded. Remember though...you can still do it in the sweetest voice, the most soothing words and people will still think you are arrogant and obnoxious about it. Our hearts must have a purpose to share the gospel...not to act like our stuff don't stink:lachen:...well, you know what I mean.

I thank God for you, that your heart is for God and that you choose to be His hands and His feet to share His Good News!

Amen and a thousand times Amen for this thread OP! Olsteen is good but in the end he is responsible for people's souls, not their happiness, prosperity, etc. I find TD Jakes among others professing and leaning towards a gospel of half truths as well. And Paula White, well lets's just forget about that one, her show looks like QVC to me know selling lotions and beauty products. Its a tragedy what many churches are coming down to but we are in ends times and this is what will be!

This is why I dont listen to any more television preachers besides Beth Moore and Joyce Meyers. The christian walk is not all peaches and creams, there will be suffering and trials and tribulations along the way. That is why Jesus said to count the costs!

2 Timothy 3
Perilous Times and Perilous Men
1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; 9 but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.
The Man of God and the Word of God

10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Coutersy of BibleGateway.com

Thanks Precious Wavy....

You know where/how I stand on this; you and I have shared about this 'in the beginning" of our 'sistership' :love2: and I thank God that you took the time to post it.

I won't say anything more..... :nono::nono::nono:

Except that God always uses you 'on time.' :yep:

His deliverance was one of 'burning passion'. I loved it as well!

ITA with the bolded. Remember though...you can still do it in the sweetest voice, the most soothing words and people will still think you are arrogant and obnoxious about it. Our hearts must have a purpose to share the gospel...not to act like our stuff don't stink:lachen:...well, you know what I mean.

I thank God for you, that your heart is for God and that you choose to be His hands and His feet to share His Good News!

:grouphug::blush3: God called me, so I must go....thing is I have no idea where he's taking me...:look:

God is on it today. I was just thinking about this today. The term "seeker friendly" just kept popping up and I was like. . .God what is that, shouldn't we all be "friendly" enough that people will seek us out. No need to make special adjustments to the delivery of the Word which is the truth, in order to fool people into seeking us.

Ephesians 6:10-12 warns, "Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age...."

Last edited:
I thought about this same thing. Then God revealed to me: This is way people leave the churc. The same treatment they received to come to God is what they will expect when maturing as a Christian. They will always seek the softness when it comes to the Word and yet alot of times, to be corrected in our sin, it must be served up blunt and unadulterated. And when they get it like that, they feel the church is right for them because God doesnt want them to be talked to like that.

God is on it today. I was just thinking about this today. The term "seeker friendly" just kept popping up and I was like. . .God what is that, shouldn't we all be "friendly" enough that people will seek us out. No need to make special adjustments to the delivery of the Word which is the truth, in order to fool people into seeking us.

Ephesians 6:10-12 warns, "Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age...."

Creflo Dollar comes to mind. I have never really cared for him. He come across to me as someone after something for himself. He's always taking about prosperity and never about salvation.

Amen and a thousand times Amen for this thread OP! Olsteen is good but in the end he is responsible for people's souls, not their happiness, prosperity, etc. I find TD Jakes among others professing and leaning towards a gospel of half truths as well. And Paula White, well lets's just forget about that one, her show looks like QVC to me know selling lotions and beauty products. Its a tragedy what many churches are coming down to but we are in ends times and this is what will be!

This is why I dont listen to any more television preachers besides Beth Moore and Joyce Meyers. The christian walk is not all peaches and creams, there will be suffering and trials and tribulations along the way. That is why Jesus said to count the costs!

2 Timothy 3
Perilous Times and Perilous Men
1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; 9 but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.
The Man of God and the Word of God

10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Coutersy of BibleGateway.com

:grouphug::blush3: God called me, so I must go....thing is I have no idea where he's taking me...:look:
He's taking you to a place where you can be used for His glory...like, ummmmmm......LHCF for starters!:yep: He brings us to the most unlikely places to proclaim His Gospel!

Thank you, Beverly for starting this forum and allowing us "christians" to have a voice here. Your work is NOT IN VAIN!!!

I want you all to know that when I put this here, I didn't have any particular pastor in mind...actually, I wasn't even thinking about 'pastors' when i did...but, I was thinking about the slick, slimey spirit that has come into this forum...and it is foul. I've been praying against it...so naturally I will be attacked for it. But, what will it mean if I'm NOT attacked as a christian? If they did it to Jesus, they will do it to us. Nothing surprises me and so therefore I'm not afraid.

Nothing can remove me from the position that God, the God of the Bible, has placed me in....nothing and no one...hallelujah!

I want us to remember too that its not just about the people that we see and hear on tv or radio that may make us think about this topic, but....those who are also suppose to share the Gospel that may do this as well...you know, the people you know.....even us! We must always be on guard and protect our hearts for out of it flows the issues of life.

The Bible forewarned us about deception, so it shouldn't come to us as a surprise. We can't depend on others to declare the truth, we must be willing to declare it as well, even here in a Hair Forum...who would have thunk it..huh?

Last edited:
Thanks Precious Wavy....

You know where/how I stand on this; you and I have shared about this 'in the beginning" of our 'sistership' :love2: and I thank God that you took the time to post it.

I won't say anything more..... :nono::nono::nono:

Except that God always uses you 'on time.' :yep:
Hey sis...yes, I do know where/how you stand on this. We have been sharing alot together and I'm so grateful to have you in my life. I learn so much from you, Shimmie...so much. I thank God for you and your uncompromising stance about God and His Word...you are certainly that 'cutting edge' Woman of God that proclaims the message of truth...it's an honor to know you!:yep:

God's timing is always perfect!

Complacency is the word that comes to mind. We as a Church have become complacent with the fact that we are saved by grace and only by grace and it's unfortunate that people are stealing grace and using it's promise to draw people further and further away from the core truths of the Bible. Dangling grace in front of people like a piece of meat with the guise of wealth and prosperty attached to it, with the hope that they are welcome even in their sinful state. . .but in this complacency we have also forgotton to remind people that grace comes at a cost. . .the cost of turning AWAY from our old sinful ways.

The reality is that none of us is perfect, except Jesus. We have been redefining perfection so that everyone feels perfect in their current fallen state. This is not the life. Struggling with sin isn't suppose to be easy. It isn't suppose to feel good to turn from the things that our flesh likes. It's tough and there are some leadership and laymen in the Church who are pulling people in and having them think that it's all a piece of cake and that you can "do you" or "whatever makes you feel good" or my all time favorite "the Lord knows your heart".

We have become complacent and too comfortable with our sinful nature and we aren't even trying to fight that flesh and beat it down and rebuke it and rebuke that devil anymore. We've given up the battle. :nono: I'm saying we, because WE are all one body and when the leg doesn't work, the foot can't step, when the arm doesn't work, then the hand can't praise, and when the heart stops beating. . .

N & W, this thread has been on my heart for a while now, and I've talked to other Christians and the sentiment is the same. We are not winning souls like we ought to be, we are just making friends with the world.

Complacency is the word that comes to mind. We as a Church have become complacent with the fact that we are saved by grace and only by grace and it's unfortunate that people are stealing grace and using it's promise to draw people further and further away from the core truths of the Bible. Dangling grace in front of people like a piece of meat with the guise of wealth and prosperty attached to it, with the hope that they are welcome even in their sinful state. . .but in this complacency we have also forgotton to remind people that grace comes at a cost. . .the cost of turning AWAY from our old sinful ways.

The reality is that none of us is perfect, except Jesus. We have been redefining perfection so that everyone feels perfect in their current fallen state. This is not the life. Struggling with sin isn't suppose to be easy. It isn't suppose to feel good to turn from the things that our flesh likes. It's tough and there are some leadership and laymen in the Church who are pulling people in and having them think that it's all a piece of cake and that you can "do you" or "whatever makes you feel good" or my all time favorite "the Lord knows your heart".

We have become complacent and too comfortable with our sinful nature and we aren't even trying to fight that flesh and beat it down and rebuke it and rebuke that devil anymore. We've given up the battle. :nono: I'm saying we, because WE are all one body and when the leg doesn't work, the foot can't step, when the arm doesn't work, then the hand can't praise, and when the heart stops beating. . .

N & W, this thread has been on my heart for a while now, and I've talked to other Christians and the sentiment is the same. We are not winning souls like we ought to be, we are just making friends with the world.

This is why we should NOT depend on man to teach us anything...but, the Holy Spirit will teach us what we need to know, so that we won't be deceived.

People need to hear from God...and that's what is lacking. People are so easily ready to hear God from "others" that they don't know the voice of the Lord....He said "and the voice of a stranger they will not follow."

Discernment is important to a believer in Jesus. Without it...we are walking in darkness, not able to see the obstacles that are in our path. The Lord is the light of our path...well, at least He should be. But, when we are lazy to 'study to show ourselves approved....a workman not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth' then, we fall for the okey-doke and find ourselves in a worse state then the first.

It takes more than going to church, reading a few scriptures in our bible and listening to good, christian music....it takes a total and complete lifestyle change...a 'dying to self' mentality and a willingness to hear the voice of God and to abide by His Word, to live this christian life the way we are suppose to.

It's not an easy thing to do...but, if Jesus did it we can too. He said..."Greater works shall you do because I go to the Father."

If He said it...that settles it for me!

Thank you for this post!

Back