Protein treatments stink to high heaven! Why no warning?!! EWWWWW!!!!

gone_fishing

This is the 2nd time I've done a protein treatment. The first was a couple of weeks ago.

I'm using Aphogee Two-Step Protein treatment.

That stuff stinks!

Someone said I'd get used to the smell but I'm sitting here under my hard bonnet dryer trying not to breathe in through my nose cause I'll gag!

It smells like expired blood and bat urine.

What the heck is this stuff made of?

if it's this one: http://public.fotki.com/IsItOnlyHair/transitioning-albums/tools/tools-of-the-trade/img0798a.html, it's made from vegetable protein.

if it's the one in the big squarish bottle (or those little tiny one-use sample packs), than it's animal protein. i also think these bottles are the ones labeled "for professional use only" too.

they both stink to high heaven but (i think) the animal protein has a ever so slightly sharper odor.

I have trouble finding the one in the squarish bottle. Is it being replaced by the one in your fotki?

Last edited:
no i really don't think so. my local bss looked like they'd just restocked - they had about 15 bottles of it on the shelves and less of the veggie kind.

you prolly just need to check around at the different stores - you'll find it :yep:

I was told that the older squarish bottles would eventually be replaced by the newer version. I still have the spare bottle, a little goes a long way. It's made of Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, which is why it smells like rotten eggs. I read alot of stuff about the smell so I was prepared for it. It's not that bad once you do it a few times...for real! Either way, the outcome of my hair outweighs the smell.

i heard or read somewhere that actually the veggie one is better........something about the size of the veggie protein molecule being smaller and how it penetrates into the strands better because of it's size or something or other. :perplexed

but hey, i'm not a chemistry head so maybe one of the girls here can elaborate on it for us cause i sure don't know :grin:.

All protein conditioners including the one I use (Jehri Redding) smell awful. I was telling my mom with all of teh technology they have coudln't they come up with a way to make them smell better :ohwell:.

Mya

i heard or read somewhere that actually the veggie one is better........something about the size of the veggie protein molecule being smaller and how it penetrates into the strands better because of it's size or something or other. :perplexed

but hey, i'm not a chemistry head so maybe one of the girls here can elaborate on it for us cause i sure don't know :grin:.

OT: Lynnie B, congrats on your hair! It looks amazing:yep:

OP: I noticed the same thing, I used the small one in the white bottle and it smells so awful it hurt my feelings to put it on my hair:sad:

All protein conditioners including the one I use (Jehri Redding) smell awful. I was telling my mom with all of teh technology they have coudln't they come up with a way to make them smell better :ohwell:.

Mya

Not all. Aubrey Organics GPB doesn't smell at all.

OT: Lynnie B, congrats on your hair! It looks amazing:yep:

OP: I noticed the same thing, I used the small one in the white bottle and it smells so awful it hurt my feelings to put it on my hair:sad:

:blush: awww thanks Autumnluv and if i may add, so does yours!!!!!

To MJ: gbp has a better smell than aphogee but reminds me of Kaeopectate :grin:.

seriously though, GPB is no where near the strength of aphogee. it's a light protein you can use once a week with no problem. aphogee you can only use once every 6-8 weeks, usually ;)

Back