Thank you @Chicoro! This method will be a game changer for me. I love the results of the 2 Step, but hate the process. Now I can make use of the bottle I have.:supergrin:

Excellent results! I switched to using Komaza Protein treatment (creamy) since I also cannot stand the runny Aphogee formula. I use Curl Junkie Repair Me now. Thanks for all the detail and photos!

@Papoose ,
Hopefully your next experience with it will be an enjoyable drip-less process! If you feel like, please come back to this thread and share your results after your next treatment.

@naturalmanenyc ,
No problem! It's nice when you have choices in products for your hair. I don't have access to any of those products so I have to make due with what is available. I'm not complaining. You know what they say, " Necessity is the mother of invention!" I've never heard of the Curl Junkie Repair product. It sounds very nice. I'm going to look that up. I'm glad you have found protein products that work for you!

@JerriBlank ,
Try it and see! The lady in the video puts the Aphogee in a bottle (squeeze or push top) and shakes it up. You never know what can happen unless you try, right? Her results are foamy. To get it whipped, you have to use an electric whisker. Blenders won't have the same effect.
I'm obsessed with this. I'm gonna get an immersion blender, just to try this. I'm sooo happy that you posted this!

Whisker.jpg Whisker.jpg
I'm obsessed with this. I'm gonna get an immersion blender, just to try this. I'm sooo happy that you posted this!

@JerriBlank,
Those immersion blenders, or stick blenders, are different from whiskers. I would suggest you get an electric whisk. Sometimes, they are cheaper than the immersion blenders. BUT, if that immersion blender has a whisker (egg beater ) attachment, then I say go for it. You really need the whisker to get a light, fluffy result. It is the whipping and the air that makes it like cream. The standard stick blender may not produce the same result. I used to try and make shea butter with my stick blender. It never turned out fluffy, creamy and light until I started making it with my whisker.

@Chicoro - You are the Yoda of hair care! I and all of the other young Jedi thank you for your tutelage!

I have a bottle of Aphogee in my cabinet that I dread using because of the drippings and awful smell. I will try this out this weekend!

@starchgirl, awwl thank you! You are so welcome. And...may the FORCE be with us...'Hair Fiber Frictional Force', that is! Can't have that hair being rubbed the wrong way, compromising length retention.

black jedi woman.jpg

Last edited:
@Chicoro
You should make a video of this technique and upload it to your YT channel.

You are right about the video. I struggle with making them.
Do you think I can do this with the Ultra Sheen Dou Tex?

I'm sorry, but I don't know a thing about Ultra Sheen Dou Tex! I've never even heard of this product. Try it and see!

this makes sense. I'm going to try this method this weekend since we are supposedly expecting, dare I say, SNOW.

ETA- Pardon my manners. Let me give Thanks to @Chicoro! My hair loves this treatment as well as the Balancing Moisturizer by Aphogee. I will report back to let you know my results. I happen to have an electric mixer.

this makes sense. I'm going to try this method this weekend since we are supposedly expecting, dare I say, SNOW.

ETA- Pardon my manners. Let me give Thanks to @Chicoro! My hair loves this treatment as well as the Balancing Moisturizer by Aphogee. I will report back to let you know my results. I happen to have an electric mixer.

@ThatJerseyGirl ,
I hope it works out for you! I am looking forward to hear how things turn out. Thank you!

@Chicoro -- you will. This weekend is hair weekend, so I will most definitely let you know. I can't wait!

I have used it before in the past with the messiness, but I LOVE the results. FYI, my hair is 4a/b. Very thick.

@Chicoro -- you will. This weekend is hair weekend, so I will most definitely let you know. I can't wait!

I have used it before in the past with the messiness, but I LOVE the results. FYI, my hair is 4a/b. Very thick.

@ThatJersyGirl, I am not loyal to products, but I have yet to find an equivalent to Aphogee that I know works and I can get anywhere I may be living in the world.I love the results, too. My hair may look 3 something but it acts like a 4 something.

@Chicoro

Do You still use this Aphogee treatment?

What do you use afterwards for moisture?
The balancing treatment doesn't seem enough for me. I eventually switched protein treatments but I like the results I get from Aphogee. I'm going to ask others who use this and see if I can find suggestion that might work for me.

An ultra moisturizing DC that I pick out my stash. Below is currently in my rotation.
JOICO
K-PAK Intense Hydrator
kp-intensehydrator1.png

@Chicoro

Do You still use this Aphogee treatment?

The balancing treatment doesn't seem enough for me. I eventually switched protein treatments but I like the results I get from Aphogee. I'm going to ask others who use this and see if I can find suggestion that might work for me.

I use a basic thick conditioner. Then I super charge it by adding in some olive oil and some honey. So if I use 1 cup of conditioner, like Queen Helene Cholesterol (used to use), I just add about 1/4 cup of oil and about 1/4 cup of honey. I like cheap, greasy, thick conditioners. Now, I make up a batch of my DIY coconut conditioner, then add the olive oil and honey to that.

Also if anyone is still interested use a bottle with a foaming dispenser. That way it's less work and cleanup but it does not drip like usual. Only issue is that it doesn't get as thick and foamy like the whipping method but it's good enough to prevent drips.

I use a basic thick conditioner. Then I super charge it by adding in some olive oil and some honey. So if I use 1 cup of conditioner, like Queen Helene Cholesterol (used to use), I just add about 1/4 cup of oil and about 1/4 cup of honey. I like cheap, greasy, thick conditioners. Now, I make up a batch of my DIY coconut conditioner, then add the olive oil and honey to that.

Thanks. Adding olive oil and honey may actually work for me. My hair likes them.
Are you using all natural/ organic honey?

Thanks. Adding olive oil and honey may actually work for me. My hair likes them.
Are you using all natural/ organic honey?

Not necessarily. I use whatever I have. Sometimes it's the cheap fake stuff in the bear shaped bottle with the yellow cap. Sometimes it's bougie organic, unfiltered 'good' stuff.

Sugar, including molasses, corn syrup and maple syrup all have -OH groups which is 'hydroxide', consisting of an oxygen and hydrogen atom. As long as those two elements are present in the sugar product you add, in that chemical form, it helps the hair to have shine and some moisture.

Let me know if you have other questions or if I need to clarify something, please!

Back