Protein in The Ingredients Does Not Necessarily Mean It's A Protein Conditioner

I noticed a lot of people consider Silcon Mix a protein treatment I use it as a moisturing conditioner.
Silicon Mix has made a new Conditioner which is labeled Protein Treatment and I cant wait to try it.

For more clarity:

Is it a protein treatment?

Motions CPR--YES
Motions Moisture Silk Protein--YES
ORS Olive Oil--NO
Kenra Intensive Emollient--NO
Cholesterol Conditioners--NO
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair--YES (though the name says moisture)
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair--YES*
Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor--YES
Joico K-Pak--YES (not starred, but I'd consider this semi-hardcore)
ORS Mayo--NO
Dudley DRC--YES*
Ultra Sheen Duotex--YES*
Nexxus Keraphix--YES
Nexxus Emergencee--YES*
Dudley Cream Protein--YES

*=hardcore, though there are different levels of hardcority (like my word?) For example, a hardcore with keratin or animal protein is going to be stronger than one with collagen.

Notice that the one with the stars are all products that come in liquid form. They are so potent because they are straight protein (a few stabilizers and preservatives) with no creams and emollients to get in the way. The protein goes straight on your hair strand unobstructed by other ingredients.

Now, let's talk about what's really sad--I've used all of the above except 3! :D

Bump so I can subsribe

is whey protein a good ingredient in a protein treatment? What sort of ingredients should I be looking for generally?

I have access to different sorts of protein treatments and it's a bit difficult to decipher a good one for my natural hair!

Posted by Supergirl previous post in 8-11-2003 7:58pm

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins--

Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein--known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein. known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein--responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the(hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient

*Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

*Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids--this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin--This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lot due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

Posted by plzgrow 4-28-2006

Here is a handy guide for understanding the different types of protein products.

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein--known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein. known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein--responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the(hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft [than animal protein] and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coat the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein--Natural silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy

Keratin protein More Indept:

*a) Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

The keratin in some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like Keracare's humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance."

* Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids--this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin--This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lot due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

**All of this information was provided by previous members above:grin:

Why is ORS Mayonnaise NOT a protein treatment....that's what the jar says doesn't it?:ohwell:

I do agree that ORS mayo and ORS OORP are both protein conditioners , and they behaved as such in my hair

I even got massive protein overload from the ORS OORP, by leaving it in

Thanks so much for bumping this. Based on the threads I've been seeing lately, it is definitely needed right now... :yep:

I know it has been stated that the ORS Pak is not a protein conditioner. However, I recently advised someone not to use it after using the Aphogee 2-step protein. I stand by what I said. After the Aphogee 2-step protein, the ORS pak does have too much protein to use as a moisturizer!

I think we also need to consider what else we are using when talking about protein content.

I love protein I try to use a light one every week on wash day which is my Aphogee 2 mins, mmmm smells so good.
I did the 2 step yesterday and so far so good.

I know it has been stated that the ORS Pak is not a protein conditioner. However, I recently advised someone not to use it after using the Aphogee 2-step protein. I stand by what I said. After the Aphogee 2-step protein, the ORS pak does have too much protein to use as a moisturizer!

I think we also need to consider what else we are using when talking about protein content.

I agree... ORS Pak contains Collagen - High on the ingredient listing.....

That really is going to depend on the individual head of hair and how much moisture and protein they need. There are ppl on here who can use ORS pak after Aphogee 2step and their hair benefits...And there are others who cannot, but there are other factors involved.

Also, not only does the type of protein matter but the concentration and molecular weight of the ingredients in the list (which we can't know unless we call the chemist of the company and ask) play a role in how a product works on a head of hair.

Bottom line: As w/everything, you won't really know until you try :up:

Last edited:
I used ORS pak after Aphogee and had no problems. It left my hair silky and smooth and the breakage was still stopped in its tracks. And I have thin AND fine hair so I would think that if that combo were to have a negative impact it would have happened to me! As the previous poster stated, I think it all depends on your hair, maintenance, and level of damage.

ITA:yep:

people are avoiding protein like the plague:ohwell:

You said a mouth full for I, too, was avoiding protein since I didn't like my hair feeling hard and like straw. My first experience with a hard core protein treatment was UBH's Deep Condish. My hair was super hard because I knew nothing about doing a moisturizing deep condish afterwards. So I assumed that my hair hated hard proteins when that is really what my hair needed in order to correct the shedding and breakage problems. I stop using any type of hard protein since then and man, have I had so many problems with shedding, breakage, retaining moisture. I was about to break down. Glad I saw this thread and pleased to see that my decision to use a protein treatment was a good one.

:wallbash:
You said a mouth full for I, too, was avoiding protein since I didn't like my hair feeling hard and like straw. My first experience with a hard core protein treatment was UBH's Deep Condish. My hair was super hard because I knew nothing about doing a moisturizing deep condish afterwards. So I assumed that my hair hated hard proteins when that is really what my hair needed in order to correct the shedding and breakage problems. I stop using any type of hard protein since then and man, have I had so many problems with shedding, breakage, retaining moisture. I was about to break down. Glad I saw this thread and pleased to see that my decision to use a protein treatment was a good one.

Do you ever feel like just when you might have something figured out, you read something that takes you back 10 steps?

So now I guess my avoiding protein may be what's contributing to my dryness or inablity to hold moisture? :wallbash:

Can you give me a suggestion for a potein conditioner/treatment to help hold in moisture that I should use BEFORE my deep (for moisture)?

I'm 4a natural and my hair isn't breaking just thin and doesnt hold moisture.
t

thanks!

I've been wondering about this with the ORS. I use it sometimes & it seems so super-moisturizing, but then I saw some referring to it as protein. Thanks for clearing that up.

Keratin protein More Indept:

*a) Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

The keratin in some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like Keracare's humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance."

I just want to point out the section in red, because it's an important issue that I have recently discovered for my own hair regimen. I have fine, relaxed hair; for this reason, for my hair, I have separated my conditioning products as such:

Deep conditioners- balanced with moisture and protein; these are typically referred to as "creme reconstructors" or mild-to-medium "protein treatments". I don't find that these need to be followed with a moisture dc b/c the moisture is mixed in, and can be used weekly or every other week, with regular conditioning in between to supplement. (ex: Keraphix, Aphogee 2 min)

Moisture deep treatments - moisture based deep conditioner (minimal protein content) for special circumstances, or to follow a protein treatment (ex: PMSC, Kenra MC)

Protein treatments - hardcore proteins that can only be used in an emergency or every 6-8 wks (like Aphogee 2-step or Dudley DRC 28)

I find I am often in the minority with my regimen/habits because it seems like everyone often is trying to find the most moisturizing product in the world, but doing so has stifled my progress. My hair has no problem retaining moisture. I found that rather a more balanced approach easier to handle consistently :yep:

Back