Progressive Thermal Straightening

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
How to permanently straighten your hair without damaging chemicals.

A article in the March/April 2013 issue of the Journal of Cosmetic Science reveals how to permanently straighten your hair without using any reactive chemical treatments.

Progressive Thermal Straightening
The trick, according to the authors, is to heat straighten your hair using a lower temperature but an increased number of passes. They achieved best results when they pretreated hair with a silicone coating.

The researchers call this method “Progressive Thermal Straightening” and they found that it does not break a significant number of disulfide bonds because they flat ironed the hair at 155C rather than 250C which is the temperature used by many flat irons. Instead, the process denatures some of the microfilament organization of hair. X-ray and birefringence measurements showed the irreversible changes in keratin structure were caused by the combined effect of heat, physical strain, and moisture. Because the protein cross links are not broken, the hair retains much of its original strength.

Would you try trade fast straightening at high temperature for less damage at lower temperature?

Source

This explains a lot.

So: Silicon serum+300º= heat training

Huh. I knew something was up. I've always wondered if silicon was actually protecting the entire hair shaft from the heat or just the cuticle. I guess that answers that. I wonder if the process is "less effective" if you eliminate the silicon.

Oh well, I guess that means more research into protecting your hair from structural heat damage.

This explains a lot.

So: Silicon serum+300º= heat training

Huh. I knew something was up. I've always wondered if silicon was actually protecting the entire hair shaft from the heat or just the cuticle. I guess that answers that. I wonder if the process is "less effective" if you eliminate the silicon.

Oh well, I guess that means more research into protecting your hair from structural heat damage.

311º+silicone+multiple passes = heat damage. Now I know what NOT to do!

311º+silicone+multiple passes = heat damage. Now I know what NOT to do!

:yep:

how many people have said they put the flat iron on "low heat", use Sabino's Moisture block (only) and do three passes. For a while, people thought this was the best way to protect our hair from HD. We've been wrong all along. I think my grandma's "pressin' grease" probably protected better.

Well will someone please send me an @ (insert name) and let me know if I am unintentionally damaging my hair.

I use a Sedu at 160 degrees celsius and that is 320 degrees fahrenheit - I might use Chi Silk Infusion or spray Loreal Heat protectant (sometimes I don't). Every now and then I turn my flat iron up to 180 degrees celsus or 325 degrees fahrenheit...but not often.

Am I damaging my hair with heat? Yes, sometimes my ends look frizzy but they are not split and I trim them. Is that heat damage?

Well will someone please send me an @ (insert name) and let me know if I am unintentionally damaging my hair.

I use a Sedu at 160 degrees celsius and that is 320 degrees fahrenheit - I might use Chi Silk Infusion or spray Loreal Heat protectant (sometimes I don't). Every now and then I turn my flat iron up to 180 degrees celsus or 325 degrees fahrenheit...but not often.

Am I damaging my hair with heat? Yes, sometimes my ends look frizzy but they are not split and I trim them. Is that heat damage?

lana

I am not sure. I think of heat damage in my own hair as those dreadful stringy straight ends in my natural hair. Silk in the Chi Silk Infusion is a protein so maybe this is the key to preventing heat damage during straighting coupled with using just one pass of thr flatiron. Hmmm.

I see some of the ladies on Youtube straighten their natural hair and a lot of use that Tresemme Heat protection spray and their curls bounce right back.

Last edited:
Hmm this is interesting. I wonder what texture of hair this was tried on.

IDK. We need a professional with a paid subscription to the Journal of Cosmetic Science , or someone with a current student ID to take a look for us.

:yep:

how many people have said they put the flat iron on "low heat", use Sabino's Moisture block (only) and do three passes. For a while, people thought this was the best way to protect our hair from HD. We've been wrong all along. I think my grandma's "pressin' grease" probably protected better.

frida1980

I used to use it at 450 degrees like the instructions said. :nono: Good Lawd, it's a wonder I even had a strand of hair left lol.

Last edited:
frida1980

I used to use it at 450 degrees like the instructions say. :nono: Good Lawd, it's a wonder I even had a strand of hair left lol.

Yeah, I remember those instructions. What the heck were they thinking?!

I think hair like ours would be an awesome case study. Our hair strand is unique coiled. We do all sorts of things to our hair, and clearly the hair's reaction is different than straighter hair. Of course, this isn't interesting to scientist. Oh well...

Back