Progress

Progress to me, is about constantly learning your hair i.e. what works, what doesn't work, what your hair likes/hates and making adjustments to your regimen.

To maintain a constant state of learning about proper hair care and being open to small tweaks or changes that may help you in the long run.

No comparisons or envy, but learning to make your hair the hair on your head...best it can be.

Taking care of your health inside & out and maintaining healthy hair practices throughout your journey and being able to pass some of that valuable knowledge on to someone else.

Keeping the stress level down to a minimum, being able to catch mishaps early and correct them before they have any long-term consequences.

To me, this is progress. Always moving forward.

I'll start. I've been looking at my pictures from the last year and I have a visual account of where I've been and where I'm going. I take a bunch a pictures of my hair to track my progress. Visually my hair much bigger. I'm happy with the progress I've made.

I do want to make progress with learning how to do other styles: braid outs, twist outs and rollersets.

Here is are pictures of my hair from last JanuaryIMG_7911.JPG
IMG_8037.JPG
This is from this January
IMG_3625.JPG IMG_3568.JPG

Progress to me, is about constantly learning your hair i.e. what works, what doesn't work, what your hair likes/hates and making adjustments to your regimen.

To maintain a constant state of learning about proper hair care and being open to small tweaks or changes that may help you in the long run.

No comparisons or envy, but learning to make your hair the hair on your head...best it can be.

Taking care of your health inside & out and maintaining healthy hair practices throughout your journey and being able to pass some of that valuable knowledge on to someone else.

Keeping the stress level down to a minimum, being able to catch mishaps early and correct them before they have any long-term consequences.

To me, this is progress. Always moving forward.
Your posts are always so timely. Thanks for responding.

I'll start. I've been looking at my pictures from the last year and I have a visual account of where I've been and where I'm going. I take a bunch a pictures of my hair to track my progress. Visually my hair much bigger. I'm happy with the progress I've made.

I do want to make progress with learning how to do other styles: braid outs, twist outs and rollersets.

Here is are pictures of my hair from last JanuaryView attachment 385425
View attachment 385417
This is from this January
View attachment 385419 View attachment 385423

Beautiful hair :drool:

I like what was posted above.

Also, progress to me can refer to different categories:
  • my hair's progress
  • my progress, skills-wise
  • my progress, knowledge--and-understanding-wise
  • etc.
I measure progress largely by asking and answering the following questions:
  • How well do I understand my hair?
  • How healthy is my hair and by implication my body and my emotions/thinking?
  • How healthy is my handling of my hair?
  • How efficient is my hair care and styling? (For me, the more efficient, the more likely for regimen consistency.)
  • Am I retaining more hair growth than the amount of hair I'm trimming?
I was REALLY stressed out last year because of the steepness of the learning curve and the time sink and the cost and the . . . and so on. Now that I've reached a reasonable baseline of handling, styling, knowledge, and skills from which to grow, I'm just trying to reach a (healthy) ponytailable length again: This will make tangle-resistant, cute styling a breeze, and besides hair health, that's my main desire. :smile:

I like what was posted above.

Also, progress to me can refer to different categories:
  • my hair's progress
  • my progress, skills-wise
  • my progress, knowledge--and-understanding-wise
  • etc.
I measure progress largely by asking and answering the following questions:
  • How well do I understand my hair?
  • How healthy is my hair and by implication my body and my emotions/thinking?
  • How healthy is my handling of my hair?
  • How efficient is my hair care and styling? (For me, the more efficient, the more likely for regimen consistency.)
  • Am I retaining more hair growth than the amount of hair I'm trimming?
I was REALLY stressed out last year because of the steepness of the learning curve and the time sink and the cost and the . . . and so on. Now that I've reached a reasonable baseline of handling, styling, knowledge, and skills from which to grow, I'm just trying to reach a (healthy) ponytailable length again: This will make tangle-resistant, cute styling a breeze, and besides hair health, that's my main desire. :smile:
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're posting again.

That learning curve can be depressing sometimes especially if you've spent a considerable amount of time on something and it not turn out the way you expected it to.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're posting again.

That learning curve can be depressing sometimes especially if you've spent a considerable amount of time on something and it not turn out the way you expected it to.

Thanks!

Yeah: I was freaking out. :lol: Just a little bit. I'm a special needs mom and . . . it got really sad for me, dealing with my hair and putting my child on others. Deep exhale. My solution was to try to go in fast and hard and just solve my hair issues as quickly as possible. I was getting frantic. I had a lot of guilt. I started to think, "This is just hair. I should just relax it and get back to more important things/people/matters." I was so close to giving up when God literally OVERNIGHT, INSTANTLY just gave me several fixes that worked in conjunction. I was like, "Ohhhhhhh, thank you Jesus!" And it was perfect timing: My husband couldn't stop staring at my hair on our anniversary. LOL!

I post frequently (being a special needs mom and being away from my friends can be kind of isolating, and I'm trying to find balance with utilizing LHCF to help with that): I just try to post in ways that don't disturb people. I saw a few comments/post that made me concerned. So I post in the Tailbone 2017 thread (it's for all lengths, don't laugh, @stephanie75miller!!!) because we just calmly, freely chat and we talk about all sorts of things, health and stress management especially. I'm supporting the host of the hair and weight thread. And I've ventured over to the other side! LOL!

My next progress goal, by the way, is to see if shingling a wash-and-go will keep it tangle-resistant. I want to try this so that I can reduce the mechanical manipulation I do to my hair at present: I twist and thread . . . pretty often. Wish me luck! You hair inspires me to try this!

Thanks!

Yeah: I was freaking out. :lol: Just a little bit. I'm a special needs mom and . . . it got really sad for me, dealing with my hair and putting my child on others. Deep exhale. My solution was to try to go in fast and hard and just solve my hair issues as quickly as possible. I was getting frantic. I had a lot of guilt. I started to think, "This is just hair. I should just relax it and get back to more important things/people/matters." I was so close to giving up when God literally OVERNIGHT, INSTANTLY just gave me several fixes that worked in conjunction. I was like, "Ohhhhhhh, thank you Jesus!" And it was perfect timing: My husband couldn't stop staring at my hair on our anniversary. LOL!

I post frequently (being a special needs mom and being away from my friends can be kind of isolating, and I'm trying to find balance with utilizing LHCF to help with that): I just try to post in ways that don't disturb people. I saw a few comments/post that made me concerned. So I post in the Tailbone 2017 thread (it's for all lengths, don't laugh, @stephanie75miller!!!) because we just calmly, freely chat and we talk about all sorts of things, health and stress management especially. I'm supporting the host of the hair and weight thread. And I've ventured over to the other side! LOL!

My next progress goal, by the way, is to see if shingling a wash-and-go will keep it tangle-resistant. I want to try this so that I can reduce the mechanical manipulation I do to my hair at present: I twist and thread . . . pretty often. Wish me luck! You hair inspires me to try this!
Congratulations on your aha moment.

I'm definitely a proponent of shingling. It insures all your strands are coated in product and results in less tangles in my opinion.

It's January and I'm feeling a little reflective. What does progress mean to you? How do you measure it? Are you happy with your progress? If you aren't happy with your progress what you going to change?

The main way I measure progress now that I'm natural is how much more my wash and go and braidouts inch their way down. I don't care about my stretched length at all anymore.

Last yr my wash and go was at the top of my cheekbones. Now it's pretty much chin length so I'm pretty satisfied with how my hair is progressing.

Also I've def progressed in my styling and staple products to style with. For the first time since I've been natural( this is my third bc) I've mastered my wash and go. I know how to get consistantly good results. I have found different products that all work wonderfully but make my hair look very different. If I want more big defined curls I can use one thing. If I want more volume I can use another. I also define that as progress because I'm mastering my hair in all ways.

BTW @stephanie75miller your wash and go hasn't just gotten thicker I def see some substantial length going on too.

Back