Products used for flat ironing

nellyj92

Hello LHCF! I'm new to the site, so forgive me if there is already a discussion on this topic. I plan to flat iron my hair within the next two weeks, and I wanted to know what products worked well for straightening natural hair. After transitioning for 11 months I cut all chemicals out in March and my hair is currently shoulder lengh (4c). I haven't straightened my hair since my chop, so I'm not sure what products to use. I need something that will give my hair moisture, shine and body but nothng heavy or too oily. I also want something that controls frizz and does a good job at actually straightening my hair. I'm nervous my hair will come out as a poofy afro, and I worry flat ironing may cause heat damage.

So my questions are what do you all use, when and how much do you apply to your hair and how well does it work for you? All suggestions and product reviews are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Cantu flat iron spray or Cantu silk shine serum

I havent tried the spray cause I personally feel you can get better results with serums but thats me.

When I use the right amount I have soft and straight hair with no sizzling sound.

Last edited:
Hmm, let's see here:

First things first, after you wash and properly condition your hair, you'll need to find a product that is a thermal protectant. It can be a spray or a cream. I prefer a cream product because my hair is so thick, I believe I am between a 4a and 4b. I normally use the KMS FlatOut Straightening Creme pre flat-iron, and then the KMS FlatOut Smoothing Serum afterward. On the bottle it says it's specifically for coarse and frizz hair only.

KMS can be pretty expensive if you buy it from places like Pure Beauty or directly from a salon, so you can't go wrong with shea butter. Shea Butter is good to provide moisture after a flat-iron. If your hair doesn't have a problem retaining moisture, I'd go with a lighter product. Otherwise, try something a little heavier. You'll want to always keep your hair moisturized to keep it from breaking.

Do you remember what temperature setting you used for prior flat-iron jobs? Temp is the difference between heat damage and not having heat damage. I don't set mine above 300 to 350, I use the chasing method when I flat iron. The heat distributes more evenly, and I don't have to go over the same spot more than twice. Oh yeah, and make sure your flat-iron products dries on your hair beforehand. Learned that the hard way.

Cantu flat iron spray or Cantu silk shine serum

I havent tried the spray cause I personally feel you can get better results with serums but thats me.

When I use the right amount I have soft and straight hair with no sizzling sound.

Thanks I'll definitely look into those products

Hmm, let's see here:

First things first, after you wash and properly condition your hair, you'll need to find a product that is a thermal protectant. It can be a spray or a cream. I prefer a cream product because my hair is so thick, I believe I am between a 4a and 4b. I normally use the KMS FlatOut Straightening Creme pre flat-iron, and then the KMS FlatOut Smoothing Serum afterward. On the bottle it says it's specifically for coarse and frizz hair only.

KMS can be pretty expensive if you buy it from places like Pure Beauty or directly from a salon, so you can't go wrong with shea butter. Shea Butter is good to provide moisture after a flat-iron. If your hair doesn't have a problem retaining moisture, I'd go with a lighter product. Otherwise, try something a little heavier. You'll want to always keep your hair moisturized to keep it from breaking.

Do you remember what temperature setting you used for prior flat-iron jobs? Temp is the difference between heat damage and not having heat damage. I don't set mine above 300 to 350, I use the chasing method when I flat iron. The heat distributes more evenly, and I don't have to go over the same spot more than twice. Oh yeah, and make sure your flat-iron products dries on your hair beforehand. Learned that the hard way.

In the past I've always flat ironed my hair at the highest temp. (*spanks hand* I know that's a terrible idea). Also I'm not familiar with the chasing method. What exactly is that? Before this chop I never really knew how to take good care of my hair.

To do the chasing method, you basically take your section of hair, run a narrow toothed comb through 1/4 or the 1/3 of your hair(enough space to get the flat iron in), and you run the comb through, "chasing" the comb with the flat iron.

Here's a YT showing the normal flat iron method, and the chasing method. Skip ahead to about the 4:38 mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E94xR507K-E

I use Mixed Chicks and now experimenting with the IC straightening serum.

My best tip to avoid burning your hair is to not coat it with a leave in condish or oil before doing your heat. the theory is that the chemicals in these and the oils may react with the protectant leaving your hair unprotected. Sure it looks great with the oil. And condish cooked in but in the long term might contribute to heat damage. Save the oils and leaveins for immediately after the heat application.

Oops forgot: invest in an iron that actually gives the temperature. Most just have a dialwith numbers 1-5. That's not precise and 5 is like 400oF! Your practically broiling your follicles. I found my hair straightens in 1 pass at an incredibly low 175oF with mixed chicks and I'm a 4b/c as well. At 220 I start smelled the familar hair burnt odor. The irons with digital temp displays run arund 85bux. Worth saving up for.

Chi Silk Infusion serum. Be sure to deep condition with moisture extremely well before hand.

Back