Product Review: Amika 100% Ceramic Flat Iron

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
The Amika Jaguar 100% ceramic plate flat iron is some ole bull****. I bought mine when Amazon had it "marked down" from $250 to $40 and some change. In the months since I purchased it, I have confirmed that it is exactly the same make and model as the ones they have on sale at Marshalls/TJMaxx/Ross for $29.99. It's just a different brand name and you don't get the hair clips.

pc070002.jpg

The jaguar print 'casing' around the ceramic plates seems to be made of a very heat conducive plastic or glass. I can't say that I've burnt my fingers , but the outside of the iron gets uncomfortably hot and I become instantly aware if my hand slips too far up the handle. To be fair there is a little picture on there warning that it gets hot, but I can't exactly see it while I'm using the iron. I have small hands and somewhat long hair so it becomes awkward holding the end of the iron down the entire hair shaft especially in the back.

My flat ironing skills are mediocre and I don't expect any iron to help that. If I compare the end result to using the maxiglide or Jibere, the Amika was a'ight, but nothing special. Because of the awkwardness of use, trying to bump the ends wasn't happening with the Amika which is something that I can do with my other irons.

My hair doesn't feel any different for having used 100% ceramic plates. Although, I can 'buy' that the argument is that the ceramic is a protection device as opposed to something that improves the appearance of the hair. I also had to keep adjusting the heat. Id'd do a section of my hair and find that the iron wasn't as hot as when I started. It's possible that the placement of the heat adjustment knob makes it easier to accidently change the setting.

Overall, I don't recommend the Amika. If you just really want to have 100% ceramic, then go buy it's cheaper "outside kids" versions the Cortex Platinum or the Herstyler Classic (they are all exactly the same) from Marshalls/TJMaxx/Ross for $29.99. I'm still tripping at the alleged retail price of this thing being $250. Looking at the materials, this thing can't possibly be worth that much.

LOL,

It really is $200+ in the malls, but i've also read that the ones in the mall are completely different..some say in a good way and some say in a bad way.

I was just about to buy this thing last month, but i've notice that the price changes each site i go on..even amazon has different prices on the same flat iron:ohwell: Makes me think something is 'iffy" about the Amika.

I thought that iron looked familiar! I own one of the stepcousins -the Duo Cortex in pink. I paid $30 for it at TJ Maxx and it came with the mini iron and one "t-rex" clip. Definitely worth the money at that price! It looks like this.

I have the Cortex zebra print one you posted a while back. I haven't had the same problems but I wonder why if they're made by the same company and the Amika is the better marketed product why is not performing the same if not better than the other brands?

I don't like the heat knob being in the iron either but it does stay hot the entire time I'm using it. The handle doesn't get too hot and I'm able to curl my bangs and ends.

All in all, I'm satisfied but your review is making me think twice about getting another one. I don't want to chance it and get a sucky one even if it is only $30 and burn myself or have other issues.

I too don't see how its $250 either.

Nice Review. That's why I am a believer that you get what you pay for....

I would be paranoid if they dropped the price that low. There must be a reason...

Back