Product Junkies, Product Horders and Sensible Product Buyers..How do you keep Track?

Re: Product Junkies, Product Horders and Sensible Product Buyers..How do you keep Tra

I used to have everything in an excel sheet with color-coded columns...
well...that excel is soooooo outdated....
so I just let my memory do the work

Re: Product Junkies, Product Horders and Sensible Product Buyers..How do you keep Tra

I used to have everything in an excel sheet with color-coded columns...
well...that excel is soooooo outdated....
so I just let my memory do the work

Okay....Sounds good.... What did you have as Your Column Headings:look:

I posted this some time ago in another thread started by Allandra (I edited my post as I started using new products).

Re: How many do you really need (not want)

Shampoos - 2 (1 for clarifying and 1 for chelating- or can it be both in 1) I haven’t used shampoo but after hearing Sera252’s thoughts, I might give it another try.

DC Conditioners (Moisturizing) - 1 with for pure moisture and 1 with mild protein

Co-wash conditioner- any

Conditioner (Protein) - 1 hard core protein treatment and 1 mild protein Aphogee 2 minute.

*A new 1 to have on hand is Roux Porosity Control

Total conditioner needed = 6

Leave in Conditioner/Moisturizers - 1 water based 1 cream based (1 with protein and 1 without does that make it 4?)

Serum - 1 heat protectant

oil- too many but the more important one, Jojoba.

I keep track by only having ONE product from each category (except the oils). I don't buy anything new unless I need it. I stick with it until it's gone unless I don't like it (and can't mix it which is rare). Right now I’m jonesing for Aussie Deeep, Joico, Elucence, Kenra, Garnier etc…Although, these days I’m interested in paraben free or silicone free products (we’ll see how long this lasts given my cravings).

At first, I'd keep the bottle of all products I used and write 'Won't buy' or 'Will buy again' on the empty container. By then I had amassed too many empty bottles and now, I keep that info in a Word document....

If I'm spending money on stuff, I know what I have no matter how much or how long ago I bought it. Sometimes a few things may slip my mind but if I'm looking for something I know it's there

If I'm spending money on stuff, I know what I have no matter how much or how long ago I bought it. Sometimes a few things may slip my mind but if I'm looking for something I know it's there

Yeah, this is me too...I just know what I have and what Im running low on.

i don't do anything but throw them in a big container and let my memory do all the work
I do the same but with 3 Rubber Maid tubs. I usually dont buy products that are similar to another also. That helps me......:look:

okay... based on a posting above...
I need to clarify my cabinet storage for producs..

it looks more like this..with two bins on top of it...

119444.jpg

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...14629&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051

Such a damn Aries!! Just gotta prove a point don't cha! "My 'cabinet' is bigger than yours" :lachen:

I had built-in shelves in my basement and garage for products as well as some storage units in my bedroom and bathroom. Right now everything is boxed up and I only use what's easily accessible @ this point I don't really keep track of stuff like I used to, it just kind of is what it is. A lot of times I forget about stuff but it's all good.

Last edited:

Okay....Sounds good.... What did you have as Your Column Headings:look:
as columns i had poo bars, shampoo, conditioners, etc..
actually my pjism started because I was looking for the perfect moisturizer which does not exist...
eventually I found one line that worked for me KBB..then people were raving about oyin, qhemet and I had to check them out...
now I like different products from different lines..
It doesn't help that I also make my own products...so eventually when I feel overwhelmed, I use my hair butter as body butters...:grin:

I did a one month no buy and it cured me. I had to learn how to improvise, use certain products to multitask, and use up older products. It really helped me figure out what my staples are, so that my spending/buying doesn't get out of control. I try not to keep more than 2 bottles of anything on hand -- one to use, and one as backup in case I suddenly get to the bottom of the bottle one day.

In addition, I made a list in some thread floating around here of my staple cowash conditioner, DC, straight hair products, etc. After I took a pic of everything I have, I realized that most of this stuff is unnecessary and will not be repurchased. One last tip -- solidifying my regimen helped me cut down on the different TYPES of products I buy. For instance, I don't need a lot of protein treatments or moisturizers, as long as I have a protein product like Aphogee 2 min, Megatek or Emergencee to add to my moisturizing DC, and a leave-in to use after cowashing. It makes it easier (and mostly unnecessary) to walk down the hair care aisles at the drugstore.

If I have too many products around me, it becomes overwhelming. It all starts to look like junk. I'm one of those people that hates clutter. Lol

Anyway, I just try it and if I don't go WOW, I give it away.

I gave everything away except my joico, mizani, humecto, and leave ins and oils. I only keep a few of each.

I had so many products, they started to make me feel miserable, like I needed to clean up or something. Lol

If I have too many products around me, it becomes overwhelming. It all starts to look like junk. I'm one of those people that hates clutter.I had so many products, they started to make me feel miserable, like I needed to clean up or something. Lol

This is starting to be Me.:look: Denise You Always "Keep It Real":grin: Anyway: I haven't found too many things I absolutely do not like, so now I am going to sort through things (again!) and get them in order and start using up what I have.

I have alot of "wonderful" products, but it is getting harder for me to determine what I really "love" If I continue to just Buy More. :blush:

I did a one month no buy and it cured me. I had to learn how to improvise, use certain products to multitask, and use up older products. It really helped me figure out what my staples are, so that my spending/buying doesn't get out of control. I try not to keep more than 2 bottles of anything on hand -- one to use, and one as backup in case I suddenly get to the bottom of the bottle one day.

Okay?? So it Cured You Uh??:spinning: I think I may to try this for awhile.:rolleyes: Maybe July & August. It'll have to be one step at a time.:perplexed I CAN'T GO COLD TURKEY:blush::nono:

But I gotta do something.

I'm going on a 3-month no buy starting July 4. I'll be perfectly honest, I'm starting then so I can take advantage of the Qhemet sale on July 3rd!:lachen::lachen: Then I must cease and desist. It's getting a little out of control here...

I'm going on a 3-month no buy starting July 4. I'll be perfectly honest, I'm starting then so I can take advantage of the Qhemet sale on July 3rd!:lachen::lachen: Then I must cease and desist. It's getting a little out of control here...

Will you re-start your Spreadsheet? btw: what were your column headings or categories in your spreadsheet?:look:

Okay different things work for different people. I went on a 3 month no buy and once it was over....I lost my damn mind. I know I'm spoiled and want what I want when I want it. As long as it benefits my hair and my stash is organized I'm okay with being a pj. Besides I am starting to slow down a bit.

Okay different things work for different people. I went on a 3 month no buy and once it was over....I lost my damn mind. I know I'm spoiled and want what I want when I want it. As long as it benefits my hair and my stash is organized I'm okay with being a pj. Besides I am starting to slow down a bit.

Okay: How are you keeping things organized? What is your system?

I keep a hard copy hair journal on items that I like and dislike. This really helps me to not spend a lot of money. I also try to find samples of new products. Lately, I've been using natural, homemade products to curb on spending. I write reviews down and keep them in one place.

Okay: How are you keeping things organized? What is your system?

I have four large 3 drawer containers, 1 mini 3 drawer container, 10 baskets, and hallway closet shelves (2 of which I use for hair products).

Baskets--rollers, gallons, sitrinillah pail, hair accessories, cotton coil, things I use nearly everyday (shower combs, hair clips, moisturizer, oil, leave in, saa, wheat protein, cowash condishes), and catches some of the overflow

Hallway closet shelves--Shampoos, ayurvedic powders, tea bags

Four 3 drawer containers=
12 drawers--
4 drawers--co wash conditioners
1 drawer--shampoo bars
1 drawer--oils
1 drawer--hair grease, butters, pomades
1 drawer--protein treatments & protein dc's
1 drawer--moisturizing dc's
1 drawer--plastic caps, hyrdracaps, mixing bowls, mixers, spray bottles
1 drawer--relaxer & relaxer accessories
1 drawer--face products

Mini 3 drawer container--hair accessories

I keep a hard copy hair journal on items that I like and dislike. This really helps me to not spend a lot of money. I also try to find samples of new products.

This sounds like a good simplistic system. And it seems like it is very helpful.:yep:

I have four large 3 drawer containers, 1 mini 3 drawer container, 10 baskets, and hallway closet shelves (2 of which I use for hair products).

Baskets--rollers, gallons, sitrinillah pail, hair accessories, cotton coil, things I use nearly everyday (shower combs, hair clips, moisturizer, oil, leave in, saa, wheat protein, cowash condishes), and catches some of the overflow

12 drawers--
1 drawer--shampoo bars
1 drawer--oils
1 drawer--face products

Very,Very Detailed. Especially since you have such a Large Quanity of
"Stuff."

It seems like you really have a handle on all of your purchases and a lot of drawer/shelf space to put everything.

Sounds Good.:grin:

I have 3 big plastic bins. One for shampoos, one for deep conditioners, and one for leave ins, moisturizers and oils. Thats as good as it gets for me, cuz I'm struggling with that!

I have 3 big plastic bins. One for shampoos, one for deep conditioners, and one for leave ins, moisturizers and oils. Thats as good as it gets for me, cuz I'm struggling with that!

Girl, I Started out this way........But then Errrthang got all mixed up and Stacked up and Jacked Up.:perplexed

Girl, I Started out this way........But then Errrthang got all mixed up and Stacked up and Jacked Up.:perplexed

:lachen:See I'm really REALLY trying not to go there, but I know its coming! my stuff is already jacked up and unorganized! Shampoo bottles mixed in w/ leave-ins...its sad, just sad!

:lachen:See I'm really REALLY trying not to go there, but I know its coming! my stuff is already jacked up and unorganized! Shampoo bottles mixed in w/ leave-ins...its sad, just sad!

And to think: I use to be this way about Shoes & Purses:nono: I haven't even looked at Sandals, Shoes, Summer Bags it's always: Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair:eek:

Maybe after my Hair is outta ICU, I can go back to leading a somewhat "Normal" Life.:rolleyes:

I actually keep an Excel spreadsheet on my HTC Touch Pro of all my eye shadows and pigments just to make sure I use them all, I have over 100. :look:

Hair products, I have really slowed down. All my stuff can fit into 2 Rubbermaid buckets. I primarily have conditioners, because that is what I use the most. Also I know what works best for me (Redken Butter Treat and Aveda Damage Remedy line) so I am just using all the other stuff up one by one. So it's pretty easy for me to just go to one of my boxes and grab another con. No need for a spreadsheet. :grin:

I actually keep an Excel spreadsheet on my HTC Touch Pro of all my eye shadows and pigments just to make sure I use them all, I have over 100. :look:

Hair products, I have really slowed down. All my stuff can fit into 2 Rubbermaid buckets. I primarily have conditioners, because that is what I use the most. Also I know what works best for me (Redken Butter Treat and Aveda Damage Remedy line) so I am just using all the other stuff up one by one. So it's pretty easy for me to just go to one of my boxes and grab another con. No need for a spreadsheet. :grin:

Love 'Em Both!:lick:

I am leaning towards some kind of Spreadsheet or detailed Inventory List and begin to put a dent in alot of my stuff.

*looking on-line for a template of an inventory ledger*:bangdesk:

12 drawers--
1 drawer--shampoo bars
1 drawer--oils
1 drawer--face products

Wellllll peep dis hefflet ova herrrrrrrrrrre!!

:lol: :lol:

I ain't mad! ;)

If I have too many products around me, it becomes overwhelming. It all starts to look like junk. I'm one of those people that hates clutter. Lol

Anyway, I just try it and if I don't go WOW, I give it away.

I gave everything away except my joico, mizani, humecto, and leave ins and oils. I only keep a few of each.

I had so many products, they started to make me feel miserable, like I needed to clean up or something. Lol

Hmmm, I'm starting to feel this way now. That's wierd:perplexed. This may only be a passing feeling so I'll wait to see how I feel tomorrow:ohwell:.

ETA: I forgot to list the two 3 draw sets and TV chest I have that has my essential oils and hair accessories in them. I can't believe that I forgot all about those:blush:.

Last edited:

I don't keep track.

Back