Pressing the roots to help extend Relaxers: Less heat than Blowouts

star

To extend my relaxers I tried to pressing JUST the roots of my hair with WARM pressing comb. Do not mess around and have it too hot it will defeat the purpose. My hair dresser gave me this tip. I tried it a couple times and it does work very will if you do not want to get blowout or just want to try something different. Pressing is evquivilent to other heating appliances except for you can really get to the roots better. Just thought I would share.:)

I do this with a flat iron though on low heat. I think it's easier on the hair this way because you can adjust the tempurature. I'm happy it's working for you.

My stylist suggested this to me too, but I was too scared to turn the heat up high enough - will try again.

This is what I usually do when I hit 10weeks post relaxer especially if I prefer to wear it straight at that moment. But I use my chi instead.
Sometimes I wonder why I even relax, until I hit the shower (reversion!):lol:

*Dee* said:
This is what I usually do when I hit 10weeks post relaxer especially if I prefer to wear it straight at that moment. But I use my chi instead.
Sometimes I wonder why I even relax, until I hit the shower (reversion!):lol:

that was funny :lol:

I want to do this as well, but I'm afraid the flat iron plates that most people are using are too big IMO. I'm so scared that I'll be applying direct heat to my relaxed parts over and over again.

But since this thread started, I started looking around, and I've found several mini flat irons (3/8") or (1/2") to get to my newgrowth ONLY. I have a few in mind to buy so far. I'm so excited. :)

Sounds pretty good. But I have a permanent fear off hot combs. My mom use to hot comb my hair when I was little. I would always go to school with burns all over my forehead and ears. My hair was pretty though :ohwell:

My stretching tool of choice is the blowdryer. Because the blowdryer allows me to control the amount of heat being directed (by holding it far away and/or using the warm and cool settings). I get good results and straight managable roots simply by holding my hair taut (with my hands, not a roundbrush) So that the roundbrush won't be putting stress on my hair. I'll blow my roots until they are totally dry for they wont revert and then i'll quickly blow out the length of my hair (excluding the ends).

I don't use a pressing comb, because no matter how careful you are...you still would more than likely end up pressing a few inches of your relaxed hair. Which over time would lead to extremely dry hair. I don't use the flat-iron because you can't get to the very roots of your hair (without burning yourself). plus both of these methods are direct heat.

just my humble opinion....i'm sure all 3 methods work just as well...

Thanks ladies for input I got some more good ideas. I have had this hot comb forever but I stress the comb must be warm it really works because the flat iron I have don't get the roots as good as I would like.:)

I have been doing this for almost a year now. It's the only way I can get to 13 weeks post relaxer and still have a nice looking roller set. I bought a 1/2 inch flat iron from Sally's a while back called Jilbere (sp?). I'm not sure they sell them anymore. Babybliss makes the same one just in another color. I'm still looking for a 3/8 inch one. THe ones I have found does not have the plates that extend out far enough to the edge so you really can't get the new growth really well.

I like using the blowdryer on warm and my comb attachment. With a little WGO, my new growth comes out nice and straight.
And then I let the rest of my hair air dry, and it turns out very pretty.

Back