Which heat is worse...pressing comb or blow dryer?

Which type of heat is worse

• Blow-dryer (blow-out)

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • Pressing comb

Votes: 112 77.2%

• Total voters
I've never had problems with blow dryer. The pressing comb however....

I burned my hair off once, literally...
That comb touched my hair, that section turned white and FELL OFF :wallbash:

I was like OMG, ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!:swearing:Never touched one ever again...

I can blow dry my hair in 7 mins flat on medium high heat with no problem and its detangled for a nice flat ironing. :grin:

While both can be bad, I think the pressing comb has a higher potential of being used improperly, resulting in damaged and burned out hair.
I've seen people burn out sections of hair immediately on contact with a pressing comb, but I've never seen that with a blow dryer!

Last edited:
both are dangerous, but the direct heat of pressing combs has been much more likely to create permanent heat damage in my experience

Hot Combs??? Is it 1868:lachen:Personally, when I here Hot Comb black and white images and slavery flash past my eyes and I run for the hills. :look:

Air dry and flat iron.

Neither and both... it's all about technique. If you know what you're doing, you can get fab results w/ either method. The pressing comb is a bit more tricky because it was usually done by someone else...most people nowadays aren't knowledgeable or skillful enough to do their own head from jump, but in the hands of someone else who knows....its great.

I love blow drying. I have a comb attachment and heat protectant/lotion. Good to go. LOL...I'd never press my own "wig"...meaning my own hair, I'd get my grandmaw to do it. My grandmaw does her own hair and it's phenomenal.

Hot Combs??? Is it 1868:lachen:Personally, when I here Hot Comb black and white images and slavery flash past my eyes and I run for the hills. :look:

Air dry and flat iron.

I'd rethink that one....check out Michelle Obama. She uses a hot comb and look at how fab the results are. IMHO, flat irons are more potentially damaging becuase they have the hair getting heat from both sides compressed.

Off jump I want to say the pressing comb.
However, now that I've had my first blowout since I started caring for my hair, I will say that my hair feels DRY as a desert since and I have noticed a lil' more breakage on my dry hair than usual. When I say 'more breakage' I mean by comparison to my usual braided/twisted or in some other type of PS which is not a fair comparison either.
I don't think I'm to crazy about the method my stylist used to blow my hair out using the blow dryer and a paddle brush. What stylist actually follows the tension method? It's just not operationally sound given the time it would take to get the hair dry and semi-straight.
When I remember getting my hair pressed as a child, I don't remember any hair being burnt and that hot comb used to be placed on hot coal. Coal to hair, hair to coal...And as for reverting, I wish I knew what heat damage was then, I might have been pressing e'ryday! Half j/k.
Lastly, the flat iron used in the salon is the same as the pressing comb IMO. They both emerge from a marcel stove, they both are metal and they both smoke. The comb untangles as it goes through your hair and the flat irons pulls down ripping out the hair as it moves along the shaft.
I tell ya, I still have no idea how I'm going to get my hair silky straight comes time for my big, BIG reveal when I'm WL. Since I have time, I'll keep the research going I guess....any thoughts?

I'd rethink that one....check out Michelle Obama. She uses a hot comb and look at how fab the results are. IMHO, flat irons are more potentially damaging becuase they have the hair getting heat from both sides compressed.

That's not true. Her stylist blows her hair out. He mentioned it in an article. But the pressing comb gets my vote.

I'm a newbie here, but I would have to say pressing comb. I can remember getting a press and my hair sizzled right off of my scalp. With a blow dryer I never had those results. I guess it also depends on how much heat your hair can withstand, but mines definately could never handle a pressing comb :(

I'd have to say the pressing comb... Bad experience last Oct. Got the notion to have my hair straightened to check on progress.......ooooohhhhh the damage :cry: What was I thinking :wallbash: .... IMO, I believe apart they aren't a good idea, and together, just plain ole damage!

Back