Traditional or Electric Pressing Comb?

Lustrasilk HAIR CULTURE SOLUTION - 8oz sprayItem #: 3294

$4.99

Formula: RegularSuper
Quantity:

Product Description
Lustrasilk ...For Pressing and Styling Super Curly Hair

Lutrasilk Hair Culture Solution may be used on all types of hair and is recommended on all types of hair and is recommended for hair which cannot withstand relaxing with caustic chemical relaxers.

Directions:

Shampoo - Rinse - Towel dry.

Spray and thoroughly saturate hair with Hair Culture Solution.(I recommend 5-8 sprays max....do NOT saturate hair)
Comb through with a large tooth comb. Part hair into 4 to 6 sections. Braid or twist each section and secure with bobby pins or clips.

Dry completely under dryer or air dry.

Press firmly with back of pressing comb. DO NOT add and cream or oil.

Style as desired. No further application of scalp cream or oil is necessary if a curling iron is used.

I've used this before and had nice results. FNP- 2009, have you done this with just a flat iron? I'm curious as to how this looks with just a really meticulous flat iron. I'm trying to watch the heat on my hair. Thanks!

I think both are nice. If someone else is doing my hair (which is usually the case right now) I prefer the electric because of heat control. I know you can control the amount of heat on a old time traditional one but you have to be extra careful.

I personally prefer the traditional. My hair laughs at the electric. I kept trying to get better flat irons in hopes of the same result, but it just isn't (I had a chi, maxi and rusk). My old school press and curl runs rings around my relaxed and flat ironed hair. Plus, my hair holds a press A LOT longer than a flat-iron job...I mean like 4 times longer...even with living in the South.

I am just going to start investing in a few good pressing combs, ovens and heat tester. Plus this investment lasts a whole lot longer than many of the high-end flat irons that give out after a few years. I'll still have those combs if I ever have a mini-me and she can join in...

I wore my hair pressed for the majority of my life and thats why I am transitioning back...

Keep it coming ladies!

:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump: I feel this thread is so useful. Who has more experiences? Thanks to GabannaGirl I will be getting a heat tester in the future and some kizure combs. keep it coming ladies :)

Traditional...one the stove...holding my ear...in mama's kitchen...with the grease:grin:

*I only do this a few times a year*

i used an electric one on my daughter's hair and I HATE IT. I need to return that sucker back to sally's and buy a stove and an old school dip it in the blue magic to cool it off type

KPH I checked out GabbanaGirls method for her pressing, check her Fotki. My friend has lovley hair and does not use grease to press, and her hair is beautiful. Just remember a good heat protectant, a great deap conditioning before, and light sealing after.

I'm all about electric hot combs for the roots:yep: I like to know exactly how much heat is touching my hair, I always put it on like 8 out of 10 with gorgeous results.... I'm REALLY excited about that lavatech tourmaline ceramic hot comb thats on my future to buy list:yep:

As a little girl, from 13 and under, my mom would hot comb my hair and hers and from time to time we would go and get it "professionally" done. Truth be told, the old school way is the best way to go. You get that "straight hair" look without a relaxer and this was waaaay before the days of flat irons. Maybe when i grow all of my hair back, I can find a salon that still hot combs (usually older women do it, not these young girls nowadays, lol) because its really good for your hair.

I got my hair pressed today and the results were good but I'm still trying to figure out if I should purchase an electric or traditional comb.

I don't plan on using it often so I'm trying to weigh the benefits.

There's some great info in this thread for me to consider.

We own an electric one (I think it's a cheapie model given to us by my cousin) and it was recently used on my sister (see her freshly washed hair in my sig). Her hair actually came out beautiful, but reverted within a day or so (she had to wear it bunned the rest of the week) and seemed to not be able to hold onto moisture. I thought that her hair would hold moisture better with a traditional comb, and my mom (who grew up getting her hair pressed) went out and bought one and sent my dad to the shed to get her hot plate from college. It must have been the comb and not the technique, because my mom ended up returning that comb to Sally's. I would be all for purchasing a Kizure comb, since my mom has wonderful technique and we plan on pressing my sister's hair more often.

I have an electric one, and I tested it on my roots back in summer after purchasing it, and it seems to be really good. It's a tourmaline ceramic adjustable pressing comb (has a button to press to close the teeth according to hair's thickness). I haven't done my whole head yet, but tested it on on front portion. I wouldn't mind using a traditional one, but I worry I might burn my hair off or have heat damage. I'd rather control the temp.

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find a mini old fashioned (traditional) pressing comb?

I want to use it on the little hairs on my temple and in the back.

Can't find it on the net anywhere

Back