Prepoo and DC'ing

NantanYah

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you have to DC if you prepoo? It sounds like you'll get the same results, you just do everything in reverse, right?:look:

Thanks Ladies

I don't know if you have to, but, I do both. I pre-poo at least one hour before washing. After washing, I DC for 20-30 minutes, with at least 15 minutes under a warm dryer.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you have to DC if you prepoo? It sounds like you'll get the same results, you just do everything in reverse, right?:look:

Thanks Ladies

I DC and prepoo as well. I find shampoos to be stripping. This way, you moisturize from both ends to replace the stripping properties of shampoo.

I do both...I find it more beneficial....to me theres nothing close when compared to heat...using heat swells your hair allowing the con to penetrate the inner layers... only heat from an dryer can do that...pre pooing is a Excellent way to prepare your hair for shampooing or co-washes...but if u are trying to substitute prepooing over ur deep con...I would have to say that is a huge nono..:nono:...IMHO!

HTH...:yep:
Ult. Goal: WL ( thick and happy)

On a side note, I've heard a lot of ladies on the board saying they prepoo with oils. Now, I would think coating your hair with oils before washing and conditioning would block out moisture from penetrating the hair, thus preventing your shampoo and deep conditioning treatment from being effective.

Can anyone comment on this?? I'd really like to try prepoo with vatika oil but I don't want it to hinder my DC treatments. I have to convince myself that it makes sense to do this...hoping some ladies can help me on this one :rolleyes:

I do both because I'm obsessive compulsive with my hair. :grin:
I will be the first to admit I am a little excessive. I pre-poo
under a dryer for 15 minutes or I use the hot towel method.
I DO THIS DAILY... also I sleep with conditioner in my baggy.
So... my pre-poos are a lot like DCs.
For my DCs I sit under the dryer in 10-15 minute intervals...
for a total of 30-45 minutes during the intervals I apply more DC
to my edges, dry parts and ends... I learned this from
Lisa Akbari's book... it's awesome!!!
It's been about 5 months since my last trim
and about 6 months since my last relaxer.
I don't any issues with shedding or breakage.

On a side note, I've heard a lot of ladies on the board saying they prepoo with oils. Now, I would think coating your hair with oils before washing and conditioning would block out moisture from penetrating the hair, thus preventing your shampoo and deep conditioning treatment from being effective.

Can anyone comment on this?? I'd really like to try prepoo with vatika oil but I don't want it to hinder my DC treatments. I have to convince myself that it makes sense to do this...hoping some ladies can help me on this one :rolleyes:

This is what I thought too. So I found if I prepoo/dc first because I consider them the same when I wash. I dc on dry hair with humecto/keraphix and some oils. Then I shampoo and then I just use a instant conditioner and wash out. My hair has been feeling since I started doing this. So I guess one would call my dc a prepoo then. I don't dc on wet hair anymore.

This is what I thought too. So I found if I prepoo/dc first because I consider them the same when I wash. I dc on dry hair with humecto/keraphix and some oils. Then I shampoo and then I just use a instant conditioner and wash out. My hair has been feeling since I started doing this. So I guess one would call my dc a prepoo then. I don't dc on wet hair anymore.

Hmmm, that's interesting actually. I might try this... mixing some oils in with my deep conditoner and applying it to dry hair, then washing it out with shampoo and then finishing with a regular conditioner. I like the idea of getting the benefits of the oils but then washing them out, b/c I don't like that greasy feeling :nono:

Hmmm, that's interesting actually. I might try this... mixing some oils in with my deep conditoner and applying it to dry hair, then washing it out with shampoo and then finishing with a regular conditioner. I like the idea of getting the benefits of the oils but then washing them out, b/c I don't like that greasy feeling :nono:

This is why I started dc first. I liked the oils but they were too heavy for my hair when I used them as the last step. The oils would weigh my hair down. I guess I didn't wash good enough. I think I read one of Macherie post about thinking of your hair as a sponge.

If you put a dry sponge in water it will soak up more than a wet sponge in water. (did that sound right). So I think dry hair soaks up more moisture than wet hair and the oils help protect the hair from the harsh stuff in shampoos. Then the instant condtioner gives good slip and it helps with my detangling. Hope I didn't confuse you.:spinning:

This is why I started dc first. I liked the oils but they were too heavy for my hair when I used them as the last step. The oils would weigh my hair down. I guess I didn't wash good enough. I think I read one of Macherie post about thinking of your hair as a sponge.

If you put a dry sponge in water it will soak up more than a wet sponge in water. (did that sound right). So I think dry hair soaks up more moisture than wet hair and the oils help protect the hair from the harsh stuff in shampoos. Then the instant condtioner gives good slip and it helps with my detangling. Hope I didn't confuse you.:spinning:

Nope... makes perfect sense! And I'm excited to try this method for my next wash and see how it compares to my conventional method... btw, I see you are trying to get your hands on some AO honeysuckle rose... I just bought some and will be trying this as my next DC!! I hope I like it, otherwise I might be pm'ing you, lol :lachen:

Nope... makes perfect sense! And I'm excited to try this method for my next wash and see how it compares to my conventional method... btw, I see you are trying to get your hands on some AO honeysuckle rose... I just bought some and will be trying this as my next DC!! I hope I like it, otherwise I might be pm'ing you, lol :lachen:

LOL Please do.:yep: Try it on dry hair. I have been doing an experiment with dc'ing on dry hair. I will reveal on around christmas time. So far I my hair feels more moisturized doing it this way and that makes me able to stretch my relaxers longer. My hair hasn't dryed out since I started doing it. Try it for a couple of weeks. I bet you will like it. I don't think I will ever dc on wet hair any more.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Ladies

You don't have to. Some people who prepoo w/ conditioner find that they can skip the dc'ing afterwards. I personally like to do both when I wash my hair.

I prepoo with oils or oils mixed with conditioner to keep my hair from becoming stripped with shampooing. Shampooing removes excess oil and the conditioner and my hair still comes out clean, but not dried out like a brillo pad. I still effectively dc, as a matter of fact my results are better than before, and my hair does not dry out anymore and it is not weighed down or greasy. I think it depends on hair type and thickness. My hair loves oil, and still swings when I use it in any step of my regimen.

When I pre poo, I do so with a light protein conditioner (motions cpr, cholesterol, hair mayo) or an oil. I always DC with a moisterizing conditioner. I try to balance things out.

I'm one who prepoos with oils and butters. I prepoo with ORS Hair Mayo, then I will add either mango butter or vatika oil (one only). Since doing this I have found my hair to be less dry and I can easily tangle when it's time to. I prepoo with heat.

I also do a light clarify after prepoo to get any build up caused from the oils.

I also DC with Biolage Cera Repair Hydratherapie and another conditioner or mask. I DC with heat too.

Back