Post Ur tips 4 managing natural hair & kryptonite (sweat)?

KnottyGurl

This is a spinoff of my other thread. I probably should've posted this last week, maybe ya'll could've saved a sista.

Anyway, if you are natural or transitioning, please post your tips for managing natural/transitioning hair if you exercise.

Sweat is straight kryptonite and ya'll know it! What do you do to handle it, yet not have to press or blowdry your hair every day or resort to my method (relaxer)...

It may be too late for me, but you can save someone else!:D

Thanks in advance for the tips.

If you're transistioning, I think Moisture Block and wearing a bandana while working out may help. If you're already natural, the best thing to do is just wear your natural hair. I feel if you have your hair natural, then you should wear it that way. If you like to wear straight hair, you might as well just relax it. I don't think there is a way to fight it.

If I plan to wear my hair straight, I refuse to work out - too much work just to sweat it out in five minutes. But to be honest, I would probably just rock it in its natural state when you need to hit the gym.

I wore my hair straight during the last half of my transition and although I personally don't tend to sweat a lot, I always wore a bandana when I thought my hair might be in danger :lol: or when I had my weight training class at school. Sometimes it would puff up a bit during the day but you get used to it :lol: And usually if you brush and tie it down well at night it will smooth out by morning.
I rarely wore my hair completely down, though, and when I did I always wore a headband on front in case of moisture in the air. It worked for me :)

Last edited:
This is one of the main reasons I went natural. I run everyday and there was no way for me to maintain straight hair unless I relaxed it.
For my hair, chemicals are not an option, so now I just sweat all I want.
Since I learned about cowashes now I really don't care. Cause I can rinse the sweat away more often!! :p

CORBINS said:
If you're transistioning, I think Moisture Block and wearing a bandana while working out may help. If you're already natural, the best thing to do is just wear your natural hair. I feel if you have your hair natural, then you should wear it that way. If you like to wear straight hair, you might as well just relax it. I don't think there is a way to fight it.

I agree with you Corbins! i curled ( not flat ironed) my natural hair with my curling iron just using fantasia ic mousse (pix coming next week:cool: :D ) of course i couldnt grab the roots so i let them nappy lol and i just have to accept that it will stay that look until i sweat:mad: and go puffy haha i experienced that in the studio booth where it was hot and now i found the solution specially for new year s eve i m do a Incredible hulk on them!!!!:lachen: :grin: :lol: ( i m even take before/after pics lol:lol: ) first i ll rock the curly look till the sweat turn it back into an afro, then a tie a headband/bandana in the front and sport the fro fiercely so i get the best of both worlds. i just know if i want to sport the straight look i have to stay away from club, exercise rooms for that i do twistouts mostly;)

CORBINS said:

I'm not fully natural yet, but I agree with this! Why fight it?! Either work with you natural texture (cause it's gonna win anyway :lol: ) or keep getting a relaxer :ohwell:
Another option would be wearing braids.

Back