Tips on going natural/transitioning

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
I thought that this thread needed a good BUMPING. It's one of my favorites. Plus those that are having problems transitioning will find so much of this information useful. -- jainygirl

Question ladies...when transitioning with braids what type of braids are best? I know my edges will break with too much stress...whats the best route to go?

[ QUOTE ]
Question ladies...when transitioning with braids what type of braids are best? I know my edges will break with too much stress...whats the best route to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

I transitioned for a year with medium-sized individual braids. I wouldn't recommend micros but some have had good success with them.

I used synthetic hair when I transitioned but if I could do it over again, I would pay the extra money to use human hair. It's less drying.

-Ebony

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I transitioned for a year with medium-sized individual braids. I wouldn't recommend micros but some have had good success with them.

I used synthetic hair when I transitioned but if I could do it over again, I would pay the extra money to use human hair. It's less drying.

-Ebony

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for the reply ebony I think i might try those as a winter protective style...
I have about 4.5 lbs of remi hair coming from India..so I might get some braids donw with that...thank you for the response

I wore micros for a few months before I did the big chop anf continued to wear micros for a whole year. I got my micros done every three months but I would redo the hairline every 2 weeks. My main mmistake was not washing my hair and daily moisturising my braids which caused my to have brittle dry ends and two serious hair trims. But I feel the best things to do are daily cond washes (when possible) keep yaour ends tucked in as much as you can or wear twists, twistouts, and braids with consistent moisture applications.

Thank you so much for the great tips. I am not transitioning, but you offer some great advice and connections for naturals. I plan on taking your advice about searching for a hair buddy great idea. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

are there braid styles that you wouldn't recommend? My friend has two strand twists and recommended it when I got frustrated with all the hair I loss. I had a bad experience with jumbo so I most likely would use Kankelon.
I still want to learn how to do my natural hair, but my life is stressful at the moment and I feel I won't give it proper time.
Thanks for starting this thread.

Back