Please, Please help me...Calling all 4b naturals that press...

dlove

Here's what I did:
  1. I washed and conditioned with Aveda Sapp Moss and Conditioner,
  2. Used Oyin honey leave in (they discontinued Aveda Elixir :blush:)
  3. Put in Aveda Damage Control waited until my hair was a little dry before using an ion blow dryer.
  4. Used a tormaline ceramic flat iron to straighten and curl my hair .
Here's how it ended up:

FRIZZY ENDS!:sad:
My hair also lacked shine. It was very dull and dry looking.
Has this ever happened to you? Please tell me the secret to remedy this problem. Where did I go wrong? My hair looks like an afro with a small wave pattern. You know, like your hair has reverted back after a long hot sweaty day under the sun.

A little about me:
I B/C'd in April. I have 3 inches of all natural 4b hair.

I refuse to pay for braids and weave. Your responses will save me from running to the beauty shop. I really want to wear my back in the day "Halle Berry" short style.

Thank you so very very much.

Last edited:
When I had frizzy ends, my hair needed a trimming baddddd. Try cutting the split ends, and it should come out straight.

Good Luck!

Dlove:

My hair is not 4b but maybe your products are two heavy for you hair.

I know when my hair is flat iron. It is just washed, conditioned, blowdried without product, then some Chi serum is applied and then flat ironned.

I think some people cannot use a lot of product. I am not sure if this is your problem but I hope this helps.

Ok... I got a trim mid August. I'm trying to maintain length. I don't do this often. In fact, this is my second time in 5 weeks.

I had my BC August 19th and decided to attempt to blow dry and flat iron my hair (skipping the pressing) and I ended up with frizzy ends too. Are you sure its because a trim is needed? I say that b/c I had just cut all the permed ends off and I still ended up with frizzy and kinky ends. Anyways what I ended up doing was pressing my hair then flat ironing it hoping I was not permanently ruining my kinks. Even after pressing my ends were still kinky and frizzy. It wasn't until I flat ironed again with another flat iron did it all come somewhat smooth. It still reverted within a few hours due to the humidity. Needless to say I have not attempted the straight look since. Maybe when it gets colder and less humid.

Thanks

I have this happen to me a lot. Back last winter I was able to get rid of them with a clamp brush that followed the flat iron. I also had the flat iron on a higher setting too and then I combed with a rat tail comb. I think this is worth a shot. Just remeber to use your heat protectant serum.

I may try pressing with a hot comb and see what results I get from that.

I don't have a solution dlove. I wish I did though. I got better results with pressing in the winter time. Otherwise my results are like yours.

But I think if you visit the 4 a/b forum we all got kind of crazy in last week, you'll see that this is the result that a lot of 4 a/b's get.

Maybe someone else can chime in. Successful pressers help her out!

You can also use a heat resistant comb (available at sallys) and slide it to the end while you flat iron.

Use small sections of hair - slide flat iron through about 1 inch - insert comb and run it down the piece you are ironing to the end.

This is addition to making sure your hair is not under-moisturized, and your ends are healthy.

Dlove:

My hair is not 4b but maybe your products are two heavy for you hair.

I know when my hair is flat iron. It is just washed, conditioned, blowdried without product, then some Chi serum is applied and then flat ironned.

I think some people cannot use a lot of product. I am not sure if this is your problem but I hope this helps.

This was my problem.

Also you might want to watch out for moisture locking products. I once used some glycerin before pressing and I hot combed a small section.....nothing. It was all puffy, soft but puffy. Not straight at all.

Here's what I do.

Shamp and Con or just Con wash. Separate in four sections. Rub a very small amount of olive oil on, then blow dry each sections.

I use a hot comb and a hot plate from Walgreens. Ghetto yes but it gets the job done. I wouldn't rec the hot plate really but my stove(for curling irons) broke and I never replaced it.

I press in small sections. For a curly style, I'll use soft rollers. For straight style, I wrap and unwrap at work. Now depending on the weather, it will puff back up but I usually carry with me pony tail holders, hair clips and a scarf and an umbrella at all times. With fairly good weather, I can keep it straight for about a week or two.

I don't use any heat again until the next press which may be two weeks.

Back