Please don't stone me.......

MzOptimistic

Okay ladies,

Please don’t stone me or beat me down. I just want to know what is your take on this new product for kids. I am not going to do it because my daughter is only 3 ½..I just want to know what do you all think. Okay here goes, I was reading the Essence Magazine and they had an advertisement of a new product from Just For Me Naturally Gentle Texture Softener For Worry-Free Manageability. The article says The exclusive Anti-Breakage Sunflower Oil Formula: Softens Natural Hair Texture, Prevents Damage and Breakage from Combing and Styling, and Lasts up to 12 weeks. My question is this, Is this the same as a relaxer? And No, I’m not going to put this in my daughter’s hair so don’t stone me because I know how you all feel about putting relaxers/texturizers in little girls hair:)

Here is a link to the texturizer: http://www.texturesoftener.com/

Last edited:
I think it is. It sounds like a mild relaxer to me. It's just weak enough to leave enough texture in the hair, that moms won't think that they've relaxed their child's head.

*tosses a stone*

:lol:

Uh uh, this is hype, girl! Sounds like a regular old kiddie relaxer to me. Only thing they did was toss some sunflower oil in there (heck, we do that on here! and I use almond oil for mine!) and add some mommy-friendly words in there. Softening a texture means bond-breaking. This isn't a super duper conditioner. Its a relaxer re-marketed. Lasts 12 weeks? Uh Uh. They mean, your next touch up is scheduled in 12 weeks. Run.

It sounds like a texturizer. There are a few people on this board who have used it. But I can't think of who right now. If you search you should be able to find their results. I do remember them saying they liked the product though. I contemplated using it myself but I didn't because I don't really have problems with tangling and manageability. Maybe when my hair gets longer.

I agree with Myco and Sis. I would love to take a look at the list of ingredients. I'm pretty sure that some type of "lye" is the number one ingredient.

Sistaslick said:
*tosses a stone*

:lol:

Uh uh, this is hype, girl! Sounds like a regular old kiddie relaxer to me. Only thing they did was toss some sunflower oil in there (heck, we do that on here! and I use almond oil for mine!) and add some mommy-friendly words in there. Softening a texture means bond-breaking. This isn't a super duper conditioner. Its a relaxer re-marketed. Lasts 12 weeks? Uh Uh. They mean, your next touch up is scheduled in 12 weeks. Run.

Thank you Sistaslick, a lady at work was raving about this and gave me the magazine to read on it...my daughter's father will kick my arse...he already said that..he oldest daughter mother put a perm in her hair when she was like 5 and her hair has never been the same she's 21 now and her hair is short and the same goes for my cousin,her mother put a perm in her hair and her hair is real short like 2 snaps so I know how damaging it is to perm a child's head:)

bmoreflyygirl said:
It sounds like a texturizer. There are a few people on this board who have used it. But I can't think of who right now. If you search you should be able to find their results. I do remember them saying they liked the product though. I contemplated using it myself but I didn't because I don't really have problems with tangling and manageability. Maybe when my hair gets longer.

Hey Bflyy,

I'm not talking about using this on an adult, I'm talking about putting this in a child's hair in general and nope, I'm not going to put this in my baby's hair. I just saw the article and was wondering was it really a texturizer or a relaxer:)

I read about this on Nappturality....It's just a weak kiddie perm. :sad: It has sodium hydroxide, I believe. The co-creater of this product has a blog. She's a white mom with a bi-racial daughter, and she felt like her daughter's hair was so "unmanagable" that she had to "tame" it with this product. It made me sick reading some of the stories on her blog.

Is there a link to the blog?:eek:

Tsmith, like Balisi said, see if you can find out something about the ingredients. That'll tell you your answer right away. :yep:

Sistaslick said:
Is there a link to the blog?:eek:

Tsmith, like Balisi said, see if you can find out something about the ingredients. That'll tell you your answer right away. :yep:

yah, I'm looking for the ingredients right now:)

tsmith said:
Hey Bflyy,

I'm not talking about using this on an adult, I'm talking about putting this in a child's hair in general and nope, I'm not going to put this in my baby's hair. I just saw the article and was wondering was it really a texturizer or a relaxer:)

Yeah I saw that after I replied. But I mean hey even if you were gonna use it, that's your choice. I won't throw any stones. :lol: I can't tell anybody what to do with their childs head. My mother relaxed my head when I was 5 or 6 and I had healthy hair until I started caring for it myself. I won't be relaxing my children's hair though.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Yeah I saw that after I replied. But I mean hey even if you were gonna use it, that's your choice. I won't throw any stones. :lol: I can't tell anybody what to do with their childs head. My mother relaxed my head when I was 5 or 6 and I had healthy hair until I started caring for it myself. I won't be relaxing my children's hair though.

:lol: You silly bflyy, I'm not going to use it in my daughter's hair. I would'nt dare mess up her thick, pretty, kinky, hair:lachen: I just wanted to know if this was the same as a relaxer:)

Here's a little girl's before and after pics from the blog.

before.jpg
after.jpg

From the looks of the "before", it doesn't seem there was any need for chemicals to achieve the "after" look. :ohwell:

Sistaslick said:
:ohwell: No. YOU are scary, lady. :ohwell: What kinda mom . . . nevermind. :look: :ohwell: :( :look: :ohwell:

Why y'all let me click on that blog. :lol:

I stopped reading, I didn't want to get mad. The dad even has an entry in the blog...How is this embracing multi-ethnic families:confused:

All she did was wash the little girls hair and leave it wet :confused: :confused: :ohwell:

The product contains Sodium Hydroxide AKA Lye, it's a relaxer

Miss*Tress said:
Here's a little girl's before and after pics from the blog.

before.jpg
after.jpg

From the looks of the "before", it doesn't seem there was any need for chemicals to achieve the "after" look. :ohwell:
aaawww, her hair was soooo beautiful before:( so sad:( :(

Guys, my mom was going to put this stuff in my niece's type 3 hair. I was like "You betta don't!".

I hate that mom's and grandmom's are running out to buy this product thinking it is some kind of conditioner (that's what my mom said she thought).

The ingredients clearly show that is has chemicals in it and it is a mild relaxer.

It pisses me off! They are not going to tell people that, though. :mad:

trimbride said:
I stopped reading, I didn't want to get mad. The dad even has an entry in the blog...How is this embracing multi-ethnic families:confused:
That exact thought crossed my mind. Could you imagine if her daughter had been darker with 4B hair - "scarey!!!" (sic) to quote the 6th grade teacher who can't spell a 5-letter word.

PLEASE don't do that to your daughter's hair. Our hair in it's natural state is beautiful as is. I thank my mother for never putting a chemical to my hair. As a matter of fact, my mother has 5 daughters and never pressed or chemically straigthened our hair. We all did that to ourselves when old enough. So please don't do it. I wish I had remained natural. Just scared to transition at this time

Miss*Tress said:
That exact thought crossed my mind. Could you imagine if her daughter had been darker with 4B hair - "scarey!!!" (sic) to quote the 6th grade teacher who can't spell a 5-letter word.

If baby girl had been darker, they'd be marketing a free tub of bleach with each sunflower relaxer.:perplexed

and yeah, I had to fix the spelling in my quote so y'all wouldn't think that was me :lol: She likes that word alot. If my mom kept telling me how "scarey" my hair was, I wouldn't like it too much either. :ohwell: Wait, she's a teacher? My heart goes out to the kids in her class with the "scarey" hair.:look: :ohwell:

Let me get outta here, this woman done got my pannies all up in a bunch this evening.:mad:

Back