Pineapple FAIL! (Too embarrassed to post pics)

Cherokee-n-Black

Um...yeah...no. Not working for me. My fine fro-ey hair doesn't believe in being lifted atop my head in the name of curl preservation. Took the headband off--and the hair stayed UP! LOL And no amount of smoothing, shaping, patting, nothing would bring it down! :lachen: I finally just ended up tying it back up into some kind of fro-ny tail (can't be a puff cuz I still got the relaxed ends). Ain't transitioning grand? Today was one of those "either relax or big chop!!!" type days. They come about every three weeks or so...Don't know if I will make it to 2012 with the relaxed ends...

Well can I see pics of what your hair looks like and what exactly a "Pineapple" hairdo looks like? Maybe you were close, Idk the name of these styles....:ohwell: (off to google)

Is it this?
thumb.php

i cannot figure the pineapple out either. my hair always ends up being stretched and weird looking

i cannot figure the pineapple out either. my hair always ends up being stretched and weird looking

Napp - This must be some old Type 3 hair stuff :lol: I going to file this one under the same section as "braid training" I cannot for the life of me figure out how this method will preserve a curly hair style--particularly one of the afro variety! :rolleyes:

I used a version of this method when my hair was all relaxed. but I was pulling the hair straight (and tighter) on purpose--so it would be straight. I didn't even pull my hair and like you said--stretched and weird looking.

Yeah......... uhhhh.... naw. Pineappling doesn't work for me either. The textures around the back and edges are looser than the very top so I end up with a reverse bowl.

Reverse bowls are not sexy. :look:

My hair is not heavy enough for it and I knew it will never fall into place so I've never tried it.

But I laughed out loud at your incident though. Very funny. lol

Um...yeah...no. Not working for me. My fine fro-ey hair doesn't believe in being lifted atop my head in the name of curl preservation. Took the headband off--and the hair stayed UP! LOL And no amount of smoothing, shaping, patting, nothing would bring it down! :lachen: I finally just ended up tying it back up into some kind of fro-ny tail (can't be a puff cuz I still got the relaxed ends). Ain't transitioning grand? Today was one of those "either relax or big chop!!!" type days. They come about every three weeks or so...Don't know if I will make it to 2012 with the relaxed ends...

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing too hard. :lol::lachen: I know exactly how you feel! This has happened to me every time I attempted the pineapple and I get tired of trying to pull my hair down. It's the funniest thing to see, the action of pulling your hair down.

What is this pineapple hairstyle you mean? I always saw it used to refer to hair braided in this variety but usually braided straight up all around, no zig zags.
12.161.jpg

Can you post an example of what you mean? Google image search showed me this:
gilmer-gloria_hairstyles2a.jpg

and this:
jasonlee1.jpg

Taren916 explains in one of her videos how to 'pineapple' your hair. Its basically a way of tying your curly hair upwards so that you sleep (lay) on the part of the hair that won't show when the curls are pulled back down.

It hasn't worked for me either.

You need to rewet and remoisturize your hair then style it the way you want it.

Last edited:
The purpose of the pineapple is to avoid having to rewet, remoisturize, and style. Otherwise there's no point.

The OP said her hair wouldn't come down or move. So she needs to rewet remoisturize and restyle. Plus, for some people the purpose of the pineapple is to not have to re-apply curl definers and to cut down on frizz. They still have to rewet or dampen in order to style.

Last edited:
OK I checked out the YouTube. I used that method alot when I was texturized. I still do it sometime now but I wear my pineapple outside. Its called my flashdance look! LOL

This is exactly why I retwist every night. Forget low/no manipulation. :lol: I have to retwist to look decent. Tried the pineapple method once and it stayed sticking up. :lachen: OP thanks for this thread! I know how you feel!

I pineapple if I am going to wear that braid out or twist out in a puff. and it gives me a great puff because my hair is so stretched

LOL, I can't do them either. They mess up my curls. I only do them if I don't care what my hair looks like the next day or if I'm washing it, lol. I use a locsoc, it pulls the hair on top of your head w/o having to use any kind of hair band that stretches out the curls.

I was very surprised but the pineapple actually worked for me. I also make a low pony to assist in the bring down process. Sleeping in a satin cap always flattens my curls.

I tried the pineapple method after watching Tarens video and it did not work for me. I gave it 3 tries just to be sure and lo an behold it still didn't work. For me everything squishes my curls, scarf, cap, pineapple. The only thing that works for me is sleeping standing up. :lol:

pineapples work for me as i NEVER use a hairband no matter how ''loose'' its tied
if i use a hairband i get weird stretched curls:nono::nono:

I know what you mean, I tried to do the pineapple with those Ricky's Sue Maestra headbands when my hair was shorter and it didn't work. It worked better when my hair was texlaxed.

Bwahahahahah! :rofl: :lachen: You too have "Tree of Jonah" hair! :lachen: Welcome to my club. Pity you didn't take a picture. I am proud of my tree even though it wasn't in an attempt to preserve a do, so I snapped a pic of mine. In my case, I just combed my straightened hair up to show how it do. :lachen:

I pineapple successfully, you just have to put your hair in a low pony with a satin scrunchie,in the morning while you are getting ready and then take it out at the last minute before you leave the house and smooth your hair down in sections.

EllePixie (i think it was her) has a good video on preserving the hair overnight. She uses a bunch of scrunchies and creates a mohawk type thing. It works for me because I'm a side sleeper. Sometimes I use a water bottle and mist the hair to work it back into place.

The one ponytail pineapple method never worked for me.

Back