pibbs vs salonsrus and other standup dryers

girlcherokee

hey ladies
thought i would start a comparison thread for those shopping for a stand up hair dryer - please post your experience with the professional standup dryers that you have. like so:
example: (i dont have one so this is a fake review)
thanks ladies!!!

what dryer do you have? pibbs 514
how long have you had it? 5 yrs
how often do you use it? 1x per week -for rollersets
how long is your hair: BSL
which rollers do you use? red - or grey magnetic
how long do you take to dry? 45 minutes with red & 30 minutes with grey
what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? 55 for red 65 for grey and 75 when i use it to condition my hair

If this dryer broke would you buy it again? no - i would buy the one by salonsrus
pros: dries very fast, light, good quality and has lasted 5 yrs and counting
cons: very loud, gets very hot
did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? yes i had a golden hot - there is no comparison - it used to take me 3 hrs to rollerset!

Last edited:
what dryer do you have? Highland Hi-Performance Dryer for coarse hair $199 http://www.salonwholesaler.com/Highland_Hi_Performance_Hair_Dryer_p/wbh12hd-1550q.htm
how long have you had it? 1.5 yrs
how long is your hair: MBL
which rollers do you use? red and purple magnetic
how long do you take to dry? 1 hour and 45 minutes - 2 hours depending on how many weeks post I am
what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? I put it on the "high" setting
If this dryer broke would you buy it again? Yes, absolutely. I tried and returned three other brands, including the Pibbs 514, before I settled on this one. It's a keeper!
pros: salon quality, mounted on wheels for easy storage, dries evenly, low maintenance, adjustable height
cons: You have to assemble the wheel mount, but that's a very minor con.
did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? yes i had a Ion bonnet dryer, a no-name sally's adjustable hood dryer and the Pibbs 514. I gave the Ion dryer away to my cousin, and I returned the other two.

Last edited:

how long have you had it? 1 yr

how often do you use it? 1-2x per week -for rollersets, flexi rod sets, DC'ing, Protein Treats.
]
how long is your hair: Between APL & BSL

which rollers do you use? purple & grey magnetic

how long do you take to dry? 60 minutes

what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? Usually 60 (I can't take anything hotter) for grey and 55 for DC's and protein treatments.

If this dryer broke would you buy it again? nope I love my Pibbs but I think salonsrus may be just as good.

pros: large hood, dries evenly and fast, timer & adjustable temp., portable, everything lol

cons: none

did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? yes i had a conair table top - there is no comparison

Last edited:
thanks Hilly
ill have to research this one! What didnt you like about the pibbs? what was better about this one?

I didn't like it because it cost me $450 and my hair still two nearly three hours to dry. I sent and returned it two times before I finally gave up, got my money refunded and bought the highland dryer. Also, I got a heat burn from the Pibbs. :ohwell:

what dryer do you have? Pibbs 514
how long have you had it? A few months now
how often do you use it? Rollersets,DCs,Treatments,etc
how long is your hair: MBL
which rollers do you use? Grey,Purple, and The Conair Roller Set MAGNETIC
how long do you take to dry? 45 Minutes or a little longer

what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? Maybe like 50

If this dryer broke would you buy it again? Yes, I love this dryer, when I sit under it I can go to sleep while playing my mp3 player, it don't burn me up, the heat is like a warm breaze

pros: Love it

cons: Love it

did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? Yup, I had the Golden Hot,lol

thankyou Hilly and dadragon!

I remember before I got my pibbs, under the golden hot dryer I would burn up, I would move around,turn it up and down, I would place tissue or my towel over my ears and forehead because it got so hot.

:wallbash:lol

The pibbs is a warm breaze, it don't burn me up at all.

this is exactly why i stopped rollersetting some years ago, i had one of those table top gold n hots, and it was just too miserable! i couldnt take it anymore. this was pre - LHCF so it didnt occur to me to JUST BUY A BETTER DRYER!!!! LOL:drunk:
so i stopped rollersetting.

this is exactly why i stopped rollersetting some years ago, i had one of those table top gold n hots, and it was just too miserable! i couldnt take it anymore. this was pre - LHCF so it didnt occur to me to JUST BUY A BETTER DRYER!!!! LOL:drunk:
so i stopped rollersetting.

I read a couple stories on here that one lady found a brand new pibbs at Goodwill for less then 100 bucks, plus I read where a couple ladies got brand new ones on ebay for like 100 bucks.

I read a couple stories on here that one lady found a brand new pibbs at Goodwill for less then 100 bucks, plus I read where a couple ladies got brand new ones on ebay for like 100 bucks.
see i never get deals like this! there wass someone selling one near me for $175 but ofcourse i saw it 3 weeks later! even that group sale that happened last year! i'm so mad that i missed that. anyway - my wrotten luck i get there the day AFTER the sale is over.:wallbash::wallbash:

Thanks so much for this post. I have been looking for a new dryer and really dont want to buy another table top. I have the gold n hot 1200watt that burns me up i cant stand it...lol

how long have you had it? 1 yr

how often do you use it? 1-2 times per week -for rollersets

how long is your hair: APL

which rollers do you use? Pink, red, or purple magnetic rollers, curlformers, & various flexirods

how long do you take to dry? 45 minutes

what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? around 47

If this dryer broke would you buy it again? absolutely!

pros: dries very fast, light, good quality and has a wonderful temp gauge

cons: none

did you own a hooded dryer before this one? yes

what's the comparison? I had a golden hot from Sally's. It SUCKED compared the Pibbs. It took forever for me to dry and it got too hot.

I didn't like it because it cost me $450 and my hair still two nearly three hours to dry. I sent and returned it two times before I finally gave up, got my money refunded and bought the highland dryer. Also, I got a heat burn from the Pibbs. :ohwell:

How is this even possible? :perplexed Why didn't you just turn the heat down?

I have a table top unit that I hate (its hard to get it set to the right height, etc.). I really don't want to lay out the money for a Pibbs unless its clear that no other stand dryer is really worth the money.

Can anyone answer how the Salons R Us model rates against a plain old stand dryer from Sally's (they always advertise one for $88)?

(From when I was relaxed)

what dryer do you have? pibbs 512 and salons r us
how long have you had it? 3 years
how long is your hair: SL (when I was relaxed)
which rollers do you use? magnetics and flexirods
how long do you take to dry? 50 minutes
what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? medium-high
If this dryer broke would you buy it again? i prefer the pibbs
pros: dries very fast, light, good quality, excellent air flow
cons: very loud, bulky
did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? they were both pretty much the same for the most part. I just found the Pibbs 512 to have slightly better air circulation. But they both performed very well. Save a buck and get the salons r us, or splurge for the pibbs.

i am going to keep my eye out for it - for now i justed ordered the salonrus dryer - if i dont like it, i will send it back and bite the bullet and get this one. i'll keep you guys updated on how this goes.
hey Girl,
I actually organised last year's deal. You just need to gather up enough people to make them think about giving you a deal. Last year's deal was with riteaidbeauty. The guys name is Richard. I would suggest you ask for hair addict people like me who is insterested on having one on then when you have like 15 to 20 people, you make the call to the sellers to work out the best deal. Good luck :)

what dryer do you have? conair stand dryer from Sally's
how long have you had it? 2 years
how often do you use it? usually 1x/week. when my hair was longer for roller sets or just to dry, now that i have a pixie, i use it to mold my hair.
how long is your hair: pixie cut(super short), before the cut, APL
which rollers do you use? i used magnetics and flexis back then
how long do you take to dry? 1 hour
what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? i think its on high
If this dryer broke would you buy it again? yes
pros: dries very fast, light, good quality, excellent air flow, easily accessible to purchase, mostly all Sally's carry the brand in the store or you can order, only costs 120.00.
cons: the connection from the hood to the stand is plastic, and it breaks. I just glue it back together w/gorilla glue though.
did you own a hooded dryer before this one? yes
what's the comparison? I still have a Lady Carel table top from Sally's, I just gave it to my mom this past wkend. I've had it since college(more than 12 years!).

I have a pebco dryer I bought from a lady on craigslist for $60. Love it. It dries my rollersets in under an hour. I'm glad I didn't shell out 300 for the pibbs because I honestyly don't see what could be so different about it.

what dryer do you have? BaBylis Pro Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat dryer, bought it last year from Folica for around $100 with a coupon (current 25% coupon now is Mar25)

how long have you had it?
Almost a year

how often do you use it? 1-2x per week - DC and rollersets

how long is your hair: APL

which rollers do you use?
magnetic - red and grey, replacing reds with purples next set

how long do you take to dry? 45-60 minutes

what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it?
high, w/ionic on

If this dryer broke would you buy it again? Yes

pros: dries fast, sets are smooth and shiny, light, comfortable to sit under with any chair, adjustable

cons: a little loud, some bad reviews about plastic connector between dryer and stand, but I've had no probs yet

did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison?
Yes, an Ion table top dryer I found for $40 at a bss. The ionic button never worked, the air only flowed, weakly at that, from certain spots and it didn't really dry my hair. Also, I could never get it to cover my head or find the right table height and chair to sit under it comfortably.

The BaByliss has been great. Hot, but no burning. Love that I can set my hair while checking email or writing. I recommended it to Nap on another thread and highly recommend here. I'm committed to rollersetting in order to retain length and strength, so this dryer has been a great help.

bump for more responses - I just want to ensure there are no good alternatives before dropping the $$ on Pibbs.

Back