pibbs vs salonsrus and other standup dryers

divachyk
I'm with ya on dropping the $$$. I rollerset once a week and I need a really good dryer. I currently own a Gold n Hot from Sally's and it takes me over an hour to get dry, not to mention, I have to turn form side to side to ensure that my sides and back get dry. I really hate that thing.

what dryer do you have? pibbs 512 and salons
how long have you had it? 1 year
how often do you use it? 1x per week -for rollersets or stretching hair
how long is your hair: little past SL
which rollers do you use? magnetics and flexirods and curlformers
how long do you take to dry? 50 minutes- 1hr 10min
what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? 40-45
If this dryer broke would you buy it again? YES
pros: dries very fast, light, good quality, excellent air flow
cons: very loud
did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? I had a tabletop and there is no comparison. Pibbs definitely has better air flow and I dont have to twist and turn to get all my hair dry.

what dryer do you have? Salon Hooded Hair Dryer Purchased from LCLBeauty.com (Salonsrus)
how long have you had it? 1 year
how often do you use it? 1x per week or as needed -for roller sets and deep conditioning
how long is your hair: APL
which rollers do you use? magnetic rollers ranging in sizes red, purple (1.75"), gray (2"), and even light green (3")
how long do you take to dry? 45 minutes with all sized rollers, but I like to set the timer to 50 minutes because I take breaks sometimes.
what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? 140-158 degrees Fahrenheit
If this dryer broke would you buy it again? Definitely!
pros: dries very fast, good quality! The visor has not broken yet. It is very quiet.
cons: Cons? What cons? This is my daughter, she has NOT one flaw :lol:
did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? Yes, I have had them all. GoldnHot dryer took over 2 hours to dry my hair, the Lazy Dazey also took over 2 hours to dry. The Carel soft bonnet dryer never dried my hair :(

Angelicus can you post a link to the one you have?

Yes ma'am. I LOVE my daughter. Her name is Bianca D'amaris Dominicana and I use her every chance I get. When I'm with her, I feel like I am in a Dominican salon.

PRO-1028.jpg

http://lclbeauty.com/proddetail.php?prod=PRO-1028

That's a picture of my precious baby from the website. I paid $129 for her with free shipping. She is so worth it and I adore her.

ETA: Yes, the air can go clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I have the salonsrus (LCL Beauty) dryer, too. This is an awesome dryer for the price. Paid $129 plus free shipping. I think you can get a 10% discount code from the LCL Beauty facebook page. I've had it for 1 year and 8 months. I use mine for deep conditioning and henna treatments mostly. I rarely rollerset my hair but it only takes about an hour when I do. My hair is between APL and BSL.

Pros: dries my hair a lot faster than my previous dryer and my rollersets look as though done in a salon. It has caster wheels too so I can roll it wherever in the house.

Cons: storage. It's a big dryer.

I'd definitely buy this dryer again!

I previously had a gold n hot, which caught on fire while I was under it!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Yes ma'am. I LOVE my daughter. Her name is Bianca D'amaris Dominicana and I use her every chance I get. When I'm with her, I feel like I am in a Dominican salon.

PRO-1028.jpg

That's a picture of my precious baby from the website. I paid $129 for her with free shipping. She is so worth it and I adore her.

Thanks for the link. I've been on the fence about which dryer to buy & I just ordered one! I used the coupon code 'FBfan2011' for an extra $10 off!!

bump for more responses - I just want to ensure there are no good alternatives before dropping the $$ on Pibbs.

Before I bought my dryer from Amazon, I posed that question to the owner of a local BSS. He basically stated that while the Pibbs was a nice dryer - ANY stand dryer was going to give you superior results in comparison to cheap portable dryer. This was because of the motor size. So he suggested that I would be happy with even one of his less expensive stand dryers which was approx. $150.00.

One other thing, if you use AMEX. You can use those points on Amazon to pay off or partially for your purchases. I got my dryer for no money out of pocket at all.

If I remain committed to roller setting, I need to get a better dry. Takes forever to dry with my Sally's table top dryer. Thank you mzteaze for the info. Unfortunately, I don't use AMEX.

PRO-1028.jpg

Thanks for the link. I've been on the fence about which dryer to buy & I just ordered one! I used the coupon code 'FBfan2011' for an extra $10 off!!

I was under the gold bonnet (connected the hand dryer) last night and I was on FIRE :heated:... my neck was burning, my forehead was burning and it TOOK FOREVER!! I could have pulled out the table-top ION, but the hood is slightly broken, so my fingers get burned from holding it... :heated:

I've been roller-setting for the last 3yrs at home & at the salon. I had done the research, read the reviews and really wanted a Pibbs, but the price tag was a huge deterrent. I really could not find a logical justification, because at that price its really a WANT, not a NEED.

:yep: Thank you Angelicus
for the introduction to a great alternative and browneyecurl for coupon code for additional savings.

I hope it comes before Friday, so I can use it for this weeks At Home Hair Appointment :grin:

Thanks for the bump! I was going to get the pibbs for Christmas but I may just get the salonsrus next week. My only concern is the diameter. I have a big head and combine that with big rollers. I will not fit. LOL!

The LCL one is on my screen calling my name but I wanna hear my reviews. Or how the ladies who have one, how theirs is holding up.

I will be getting a pibbs kwik dry. Just waiting to see if it goes on sale around the holidays.

Anyone knows how the pibbs and the LCL version compare?

@divachyk it's $309 w/free shipping on amazon (pibbs)

http://www.amazon.com/Pibbs-514-Kwik-Dryer-Sale/dp/B0012TP5EO

How much is it during the holidays?

@bebezazueta - I think bluebeez is selling it for $300 but I'm unsure if that's with/without shipping. I'm just holding out to see if it will go on sale during the holidays. I wasn't checking for the pibbs last year so I'm unsure if it ever goes on sale. May be one of those products that is equally priced year around. I thought I'd wait it out and see since the holidays is upon us.

bebezazueta - I am not working with a peanut head. Trust, my dome has some size also. I'm using a table top from Sally's and I can't fit all my magnetic rollers in it. I get mad every time I roller set. Last night it took like 1.5 hours and I still wasn't dry so I said da heck with this and cut that dryer off, took them rollers out and just dealt with the flopped hair.

PRO-1028.jpg

I just bought this (ordered it on Saturday night and it's now Thursday) and it's due at my house today! I am sooooo excited! I am clearly hair addicted! :infatuated: :meme:

What dryer do you have? Artem
How long have you had it? 12 yrs
How often do you use it? 1or 2x per week -for rollersets
How long is your hair: Waist
Which rollers do you use? Black mag or blue mesh
How long do you take to dry? 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on temperature
What temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? 70° (the highest temperature) if I am in good mood, 60° otherwise
Pros: salon quality, adjustable height, easy storage, no maintenance,
Cons: despite the hood is relatively large for this type of dryer, it is very tight for a head full of black mags - unfortunately the visor does not open by half, need to assemble the wheel mount,.
If this dryer broke would you buy it again? I am afraid I wouldnt find it anymore, I would look for some modern Wella dryer even if very costly; it would accomodate more easily my big rollersets
Did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? no, I had bonnet dryer, no comparison, however I was most of the time drying in my mother's salon.

what dryer do you have? pibbs 514
how long have you had it? about a year
how often do you use it? recently - weekly
how long is your hair: APL
how long do you take to dry? 1 hour
what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? 50
If this dryer broke would you buy it again? Yes
pros: dries very fast, great quality and saves me from going to the hair salon
cons: non
did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? yes i had a golden hot - there is no comparison - it took much longer to dry my hair and was very uncomfrontable

Last edited:
I will be getting a pibbs kwik dry. Just waiting to see if it goes on sale around the holidays.

Anyone knows how the pibbs and the LCL version compare?
divachyk
The LCL (salonsrus) dryer is awesome. I've been to a salon where the Pibbs was used and honestly, it was darn near identical except that I find the LCL dryer is slightly quieter- but they may be because I was using it at home.

I also created a thread regarding their great customer service:

www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=399336&highlight=salonsrus+dryer

thanks ladies!!!

what dryer do you have? Salonsrus (LCL beauty)
how long have you had it? Almost 3 years
how often do you use it? 1x per week -for rollersets and when DCing
how long is your hair: MBL/ BSL (About 16-18in.)
which rollers do you use? 1 3/4" and 2" rollers (purple and grey). Also use mesh rollers
how long do you take to dry? At this length, about 1 hr 20 mins. When using mesh about 50-55 mins
what temp do you set the dryer at when you use it? 140 F

If this dryer broke would you buy it again? Heck yeah! And their customer service is awesome. When I broke the hood of my visor- when they couldn't repair it, they sent me a brand new one for free- even though it was out of warranty
pros: dries fast, but evenly. Air flow feels pretty relaxing
cons: None that I can think of
did you own a hooded dryer before this one? what's the comparison? yes, a large conair with a collapsing hood. it had a very large dome that could probably accommodate black rollers but it had terrible hot spots

Last edited:
Back