Phyto causing dryness and breakage? I think I know why...

sareca

It's protein overload...

My hair hasn't been breaking but since I started Rachique's DC challenge (which I :love2:) it went through a rough/hard phase. Turns out it was the protein.

I'd been doing one protein treatment and two moisturizing each week. I wasn't even using hard protein (just medium/light proteins) but it was still way way too much protein for my Phyto'd hair. I think either (1) Phyto doesn't breakdown the hair's protein as much or (2) It's the soy (or whatever) protein they add. Whatever the reason it's super easy to protein overload Phyto'd hair. If you think about it, that's actually a good thing. It's one less product to buy and apply.

If you've had problems with breakage, dryness, dull, or rough hair after relaxing with Phyto, skip the protein (except maybe SAA, wheat, oat) and start on the DC challenge.

Oh and make sure you check your moisturizing conditioner's ingredients. It should not include any keratin or polymers.

Last edited:
My stylist told me that you don't need a lot of protein with Phyto's because it has a lot of protein on its own. I actually brought that up in a thread some time ago. Glad that this is confirmation on that!

It's protein overload...

My hair hasn't been breaking but since I started Rachique's DC challenge (which I :love2:) it went through a rough/hard phase. Turns out it was the protein. I'd been doing one protein treatment and two moisturizing each week. I wasn't even using hard protein (just medium/light proteins) but it was still way way too much protein for my Phyto'd hair. I think either (1) Phyto doesn't breakdown the hair's protein as much or (2) It's the soy (or whatever) protein they add. Whatever the reason it's super easy to protein overload Phyto'd hair. If you think about it, that's actually a good thing. It's one less product to buy and apply.

If you've had problems with breakage, dryness, dull, or rough hair after relaxing with Phyto, skip the protein (except maybe SAA, wheat, oat) and start on the DC challenge.

Oh and make sure you check your moisturizing conditioner's ingredients. It should not include any keratin or polymers.
Good thing u figured out what was causing ur breakage Sareca...what moisturising conditioners do u use that dont contain keratin & polymers????

Good thing u figured out what was causing ur breakage Sareca...what moisturising conditioners do u use that dont contain keratin & polymers????

I think protein is the reason it was breaking a few years ago. This time, my hair was just unusually hard and not as fluffy as normal. It probably would have been breaking if I had been using hard proteins. :sad:

These don't have polymers or keratin:

Aveda Brilliant
Aveda Damage Remedy (conditioner not treatment)
Keracare Humecto (i haven't used that in a while)
StyleOne Moisturizing Conditioner

But I also use:
Humectress
Joico Intensive Hydrator (it has 3 forms of keratin, but my hair loves it anyway) :ohwell:

I think ur right Sareca...I too cannot really use any protein except for Aveda DR once every 5 wks or so. Any more than that, and my hair doesn't feel the same. I mostly use moisturizing products on a weekly basis! Great observation.

I think protein is the reason it was breaking a few years ago. This time, my hair was just unusually hard and not as fluffy as normal. It probably would have been breaking if I had been using hard proteins. :sad:

Aveda Brilliant

But I also use:
Humectress
Joico Intensive Hydrator (it has 3 forms of keratin, but my hair loves it anyway) :ohwell:

If you like the Joico Kpak hydrator, try the Joico Moisture Recovery Balm....its like super kenra.

Great insight, ladies :yep:!

I have noticed that I don't need protein DC's at all and I had attributed that to the fact that Phyto does have a great deal of soy protein.

Also, if any of you ladies use henna or any other Ayurvedic herbs, note that some are protein based as well ( i.e. shakakai, hesh, brahmi). (Please see Candy C's thread regarding specific protein and moisture based herbs)Therefore, an intense moisturizing DC is so important and I would say it should be performed more often than once a week to maintain proper moisture balance.

Great insight, ladies :yep:!

I have noticed that I don't need protein DC's at all and I had attributed that to the fact that Phyto does have a great deal of soy protein.

Also, if any of you ladies use henna or any other Ayurvedic herbs, note that some are protein based as well ( i.e. shakakai, hesh, brahmi). (Please see Candy C's thread regarding specific protein and moisture based herbs)Therefore, an intense moisturizing DC is so important and I would say it should be performed more often than once a week to maintain proper moisture balance.

Good point! I use ayurvedics and some of them can be drying as well.

What about silk protein? I believe your regimen uses saa, style one and efa in the relaxer. After that I think you use graham web silk protein. I was just about to put your regimen on my to do list. Are you talking about how to maintain the hair or on the day you relax or both?

I may skip the mild protein tx after relaxing next time I use Phyto to see if my hair responds differently.

What about silk protein? I believe your regimen uses saa, style one and efa in the relaxer. After that I think you use graham web silk protein. I was just about to put your regimen on my to do list. Are you talking about how to maintain the hair or on the day you relax or both?

I'm talking about day-to-day haircare but that's a great point. I can use silk until the cows come home. It never makes my hair hard or rough. That's one of the reasons I changed my relaxer procedure to include more of it and less keratin. :yep: As a matter of fact, I think I'm just going to add SAA and EFA next relaxer. I have absolutely no complaints about my hair except when I get carried away with the protein treatments. I'm not including SAA proteins in that. I don't use wheat protein that often, but my hair can take oat protein all day too. :yep:

Super Kenra, you say? :scratchch

Where can one get this Moisture Recovery Balm?

Ulta and Trade secrets would have it. It is extremely thick. Use with some heat and you get real moisture. If you have alot of newgrowth then this isn't what you need if you need slip. If you need moist hair then this might work for you. Its the same color as kenra and has a nice smell.

Ulta and Trade secrets would have it. It is extremely thick. Use with some heat and you get real moisture. If you have alot of newgrowth then this isn't what you need if you need slip. If you need moist hair then this might work for you. Its the same color as kenra and has a nice smell.

And Trade Secrets is running a sale on Joico products right now. I just bought some today!

**Sigh* We don't have an Ulta OR a Trade Secrets around here. I'm gonna have to look on ebay and Amazon, you got me REALLY wanting some of this now!

**daydreaming of how my hair will be when I use this**

I may skip the mild protein tx after relaxing next time I use Phyto to see if my hair responds differently.

Sounds like the way to go...

I've never followed up Phyto usage with protein...maybe that explains why I've never really went through the "devil relaxer" experience that many seem to go through...

Yep! I had the same problem with Phyto last year when I used it. It dried and underprocessed my hair. Caused some breakage but I was able to correct the problem.

Aveda Brilliant

But I also use:
Humectress
Thanks Sareca, i think my dry brittle hair may be protein overload too! a couple ladies told me that, didnt even realize....the only good thing is my hair was not breaking so now im tryna up my moisturising game!!!

Sounds like the way to go...

I've never followed up Phyto usage with protein...maybe that explains why I've never really went through the "devil relaxer" experience that many seem to go through...
Good Point. I dont really experience dry hair, I keep those strands really moisturized.

hey sareca
Ive never used heavy proteins really whilst Ive used Phyto but I did get some breakage some wtime ago when I used a protein poo and con.
Im looking into that ceramide thing that delp mentioned and am thinking it will be doubly beneficial to us phyto users...well me at least since my hair doesnt respond well to protein.

Thanks for posting

Uzz

Any updates?

I'm a Phyto user (just had my second application of Index 1 one week ago) and my stylist told me to use Cibu Reconstructive Conditioner.

I deep conditioned with heat for about 12 mins, rinsed, and used the Phyto relaxing balm as a leave-in. My hair feels soft and strong.

Would it be a good idea to repeat the Reconstructive Conditioner again next week, since I wash my hair weekly or to alternate with a moisturizing condish?

I'm going to use Phyto the next time I relax. Is it still okay to do the 2 minute Aphogee treatment (or similar) before the neutralising?

Last edited:
This is really interesting. When I first relaxed with Phyto years ago and used their reconstructor my hair was very stiff. I stopped using it and switched to AO GPB and never had dryness since.

Now I have a dozen tubes of reconstructor under the sink and don't know what to do with it.

I'm going to use Phyto the next time I relax. Is it still okay to do the 2 minute Aphogee treatment (or similar) before the neutralising?

I dont know. When I relax Thurs. I am going to use duo-tex after rinsing out the relaxer then neutralize, etc...

I always do a protein treatment before and after neutralizing. I think this was the best tip that I have received on this board.

I always do a protein treatment before and after neutralizing. I think this was the best tip that I have received on this board.

I knew about the protein treatment just before neutralizing, but do you do it afterwards too? I'm assuming it's a light treatment that you do...?

Back