Perm socially?

envybeauty

Am I the only one who relaxes her hair according to her social calendar? With some difficult decisions to make...

I have a big event coming up the end of July. Will want sleek, swanging hair for it. Now, I am about 8 weeks post. The end of July would make me like...18 weeks post. I am NOT going to stretch that long given my setback when I stretched to 14 weeks and saw broken hairs everywhere.

So I want to do a quickie perm (if that makes sense) next week so that my hair is manageable and so that I won't see broken hairs everywhere. Then I would do a regular relaxer in July to relax bone straight.

Possible? Anticipate set backs? Help!

I do! That's the only way I really schedule my touch-ups. :lol: I may set a time for every 3 months or every 8 weeks but it always changes based on whatever special event is coming up.

If I am well within the time frame I have scheduled to end my stretch, and some social engagement comes up I have been known get my retouch done sooner. However, I wouldn't recommend doing a "mini touch up" since you're still putting the relaxer on your hair, and are probably risking overlapping come July, which could lead to breakage.

:perplexed
Lusa said:
If I am well within the time frame I have scheduled to end my stretch, and some social engagement comes up I have been known get my retouch done sooner. However, I wouldn't recommend doing a "mini touch up" since you're still putting the relaxer on your hair, and are probably risking overlapping come July, which could lead to breakage.

See that's something I thought too..that I could have breakage come July but I KNOW I can't stretch until then. I may just have to stretch long now and then perm at say 11 weeks and then get a really good blow out come July....

decisions, decisions...

You aren't the only one!

I stretched from Jan-Mar and then relaxed before a trip.

I'm not relaxing again until I go to Atlanta for Greek Picnic.

nvybeauty said:
:perplexed

See that's something I thought too..that I could have breakage come July but I KNOW I can't stretch until then. I may just have to stretch long now and then perm at say 11 weeks and then get a really good blow out come July....

decisions, decisions...

I would say stretch as long as your hair permits you to, and get the blow out before your event (since it sounds like you've had one done before) or you could just get it styled at a salon, you'd be amazed how well that new growth get be disguised by someone that knows what he/she is doing.

When I read the title of this thread I thought you meant you perm to have a good time, like some people say they drink socially:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I were you I would relax in a week or two, then relax again closer to your event. I don't think you will have any problems with setbacks, 10-12 weeks is a good stretch, but if I were you I would go ahead and relax straight (but maybe not bone straight). If you underprocess too much, I think it could make your problem even worse unless you know what to expect from your texlaxed hair.

CAPlush said:
When I read the title of this thread I thought you meant you perm to have a good time, like some people say they drink socially:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I were you I would relax in a week or two, then relax again closer to your event. I don't think you will have any problems with setbacks, 10-12 weeks is a good stretch, but if I were you I would go ahead and relax straight (but maybe not bone straight). If you underprocess too much, I think it could make your problem even worse unless you know what to expect from your texlaxed hair.

I didn't think of that...:lol:

You are right that I would then have another 10 week stretch...and I used to perm every 8 weeks (pre-LHCF) so....I may just go ahead and....

Determined22 said:
You aren't the only one!

I stretched from Jan-Mar and then relaxed before a trip.

I'm not relaxing again until I go to Atlanta for Greek Picnic.

LOL, go head girl!!!

Man, I wish I could go.

CAPlush said:

Me too. :lol:

OP, why don't you split the difference and relax @ 9 weeks twice? Or is that too soon? I also agree with the other ladies who suggested getting it done instead of relaxed again...I don't like blowouts so I wouldn't advise that, but I would suggest a good flat iron...that should be as good as a fresh relaxer.

Divine Inspiration said:
Me too. :lol:

OP, why don't you split the difference and relax @ 9 weeks twice? Or is that too soon? I also agree with the other ladies who suggested getting it done instead of relaxed again...I don't like blowouts so I wouldn't advise that, but I would suggest a good flat iron...that should be as good as a fresh relaxer.

That's exacty what I'm doing now. I have a special event coming up and I went 9 weeks for my last relaxer and 9 weeks this time around. After that, I'm gonna go back to stretching since I have better tools and techniques now.

Back