Parabens--should I be worried?

yokoyokogirl

I read some posts about parabens being a likely cause of many cancers...so I started looking at the back of some of my bottles...Joico Kpak-paraben! Vaseline Cocoa Butter lotion...paraben! So now I'm checking and it seems like a lot of stuff has parabens. Should I be worried? Are any of you ladies worried about parabens?:perplexed

Hey! Well, I'm sorta worried about them also. I recently did a summer research project( Nothing big, just a high school summer thing) about cosmetic health and safety regulations with the FDA. Really, the FDA doesn't test cosmetic products unless they count the cosmetic products as drugs. So, as far as knowing whether parabens are harmful or healthful, there's some studies that say they're harmful and others who say they're fine. It seems like the base of the matter is people don't really know. Really, I think the case often is, products aren't really deeply looked at till long-term effects show up. But, honestly, I don't believe people really know for sure.

I, being the slight worrywart, choose to avoid them, especially in products that come in contact with my skin. I don't really believe the FDA's looking out for consumers regarding cosmetics products, so it's up to each person to make their own informed choices about what they chose to use and not use. I try to use mostly natural products (Aubreys, oils, gio) to avoid parabens, phatalates, and fragrance,as a precautionary action. However, I think sometimes, living in the chemical-laden world we do live, there are some products that will have parabens that you might not have an alternative for. Also, it's a choice what we choose to use, and whether we want to take pre-cautionary measures for something that could be a big deal or could be nothing.

If anything, you could try experimenting with more naturally-based products to see how they work, to cut back on your intake of parabens?​

Thanks! (And I'm kind of bumping this....) Surely more of the ladies here have heard about parabens and what they do--or supposedly do??

Just seeking knowledge!:grin:

I've been thinking about parabens, too...I'm slooooowly switching over to natural products at home (JASON & unrefined shea butter, etc.). I don't know what I am going to do at the salon, though, because the Dom salon I go to uses a variety of products that contain parabens.

You can start looking for alternatives at GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, natural & health food stores, etc.

Overall, though I'm not that worried about it, just conscious. There is a REALLY detailed post about parabens on here...I'll look for it.

couldn't it and I'm sleepy....lol

I'm sure the other ladies will add their input tomorrow if they see your post! 'night

I avoid them as much as possible. After I read about that study where they found parabens in breast tumors, that was it.

I was thinking about making an effort to avoid them too. I was also reading another thread on here tonight about the links to reproductive health. I really want to look into it for myself first.

I did go through some of my products and was suprised to find it in nearly every single one. ORS Hair Mayo, Surge, NTM Leave in and even my perscribed facial soap and body wash from my Derm. What's bothering me the most is that its so easily absorbed through the skin, yet its in things I use daily and for extended periods. They were very low on the list, not sure whether it makes a big difference. I would just think that those small doses add up.

I don't see myself going the all natural route either.

I have avoided parabens for nearly 5 years because of how bad my cramps are (sorry for TMI). I have a condition where I have too much estrogen in my body and the parabens exacerbate that.

Personally, I would say to avoid them. It's not too hard once you get accustomed to it. In fact, it's not bad at all. Soy has the same effect and increases estrogen amounts in the body, so parabens are not the only thing with this estrogenic effect. Me...I need more progesterone, however. There are so many foods that mimic estrogen, but it is easy to learn to avoid them and stay healthy.

After coming to this forum, I added a couple of paraben-containing products in my efforts to take care of my hair better, and my cramps were tremendously bad - emergency room bad - ladt month. So...I am completely sold on how badly they affect the body. Here is a link for more information. Click on the "articles" main tab in this first link to read on just about everything concerning progesterone, estrogen, etc.

There is so much information here:

http://www.johnleemd.com/index.html

PDF on paraben-like chemicals that disrupt certain bodily functions:

http://www.breastcancerfund.org/atf...7A3CFF}/Cosmetics and Breast Cancer_SOE08.pdf

Article from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/187992.stm

I know they are designed to keep out microbes, but it seems there must be a better way than to cause potential hormonal harm to humans.

I hope this helps.

cj

Last edited:
I stopped using them just because I didn't want my hair to dry out, since parabens can be harsh.

Back