Oyin Handmade Hair Dew

HanaKuroi

Have been using this for the past few years. Now something is different. I bought 3 litres their last sale. I have some left and it acts the way it is supposed to. I bought two small bottles for a trip and they just don't moisturize the same. It is thinner and not oily at all. It reminds me of Vaseline intensive care lotion.

Have they changed their formula? I really hope not. This is our staple at my house.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

I have it, ordered a bottle and used it for about a month. Its kind of fluffy, not oily enough for me and doesn't seem to moisturize -- or sink into my hair very well. I was expecting more. I want to like this product, so I will give it another try.

The same thing is happening with my hair. I think they changed it.

I have some in the bottom of a bottle of the liters that I ordered last year. It was oilier and my hair soaked it up. I used to slather it on and by morning it was absorbed and not oily.

Oh no.
I need to restock soon.
The original formula is my go to.

I thought it was me. The product is more thinner than before and, while it moisturizes my hair, it's not the same as before. Now mind you, I used it more so when I was transitioning and now that I'm fully natural, my hair is one texture and fuller. So, it might be too lightweight for my hair now (which is why I'm stuck on stupid with QB's BRBC).

The ingredients are the same. The only difference was I ordered from Curlmart instead of direct. My batch is direct from oyin from last fall.

Hmmmm.

My teenage DD kept saying that she didn't like it anymore.

My hair was clean and freshly mudwashed so I had no other product in my hair that could interfere with the end result.

HanaKuroi - I currently have Oyin Hair Dew in rotation. It's thick and moisturizing. I ordered it about 6 months ago, give or take, from Oyin direct. I have nothing to compare it to since this is my first time using Hair Dew but mine isn't thin but I also don't consider it oily. My low porosity hair adapted very well to it.

I am going to order a liter from Oyin. That is the only way to figure out what the issue is.

Thanks ladies.

I got an 8 oz bottle from curlmart that is unscented and a little more viscose than normal so I am sure there is something off with it. It works though and I like the fact it is unscented.

There's an unscented version?? I would love to buy it again if that's the case.

I don't see it an unscented version label on curlmart or oyin sites. Boo.

ETA: I hope they release an official version of this unscented 'mistake'.:lol:

Ogoma said:
I got an 8 oz bottle from curlmart that is unscented and a little more viscose than normal so I am sure there is something off with it. It works though and I like the fact it is unscented.

Mine has no scent. It usually has that sweeeet smell. Ogoma you are right. Mine isn't as oily as usual it is more lotiony. Not like an oil moisturizer.

I bought mine from Curlmart and so did you. Hmmm......?

There's an unscented version?? I would love to buy it again if that's the case.

I don't see it an unscented version label on curlmart or oyin sites. Boo.

ETA: I hope they release an official version of this unscented 'mistake'.:lol:

I don't think there is an unscented version officially. Perhaps this one was in the Curlmart warehouse too long. Who knows?

I wish they would offer an unscented version. I like their products, but the smell is too strong.

Mine is from the original website, not Curlmart. And it is scented-- it smells like something buttery-- maybe butter cookies or something.

Last edited:
Oyin has had some quality control issues (mostly inconsistencies) in the past but I thought they corrected it. I will keep an eye on this thread.

I haven't bought any Hair Dew in a while, but I noticed a change when Oyin got new packaging. The ingredients are the same, but it's definitely thinner now.

Luckily for me my hair prefers the thinner version.

I've used this product for 2 years. I ordered last year and 2 months ago. My most recent bottle (both from curlmart) works the same. I'm still getting really great results- moisturized hair and its still as oily as its always been.

My last order before this one was in September and July of last year. I stocked up.

I bought one liter and it should be here this week. I'll make sure to give an update.

I got my order yesterday from Oyin. It smells and feels the same as usual.

I put the curl mart hair dew on one section and the oyin hair dew on another. The oyin direct was smooth and shiny and absorbed well. The curmart one was not as smooth in application and just doesn't absorb the same nor does it impart any shine or smell.

I ordered the litre from oyin. The curlmart hair dew was the 8oz if that makes any difference.

I will order direct from Oyin Handmade from now on.

Lawd this makes me worry about the DB products I recently ordered from Curlmart..first time too..

I hope they are fresh :ohwell:

I've placed two orders for the Hair Dew, both last month....both bottles have a scent to them.

The bottle that I have (one was given as a gift) is thick in consistency, but it didn't really do much as a deep conditioner

I love this stuff. If they change the formula and scent I will have a heart attack lol.

I bought a bottle about 4 months ago and it has a thick consistency, absorbs well in my hair, and I love the scent.

I think I will go ahead and invest in a liter.

Back