Overmoisturised?

Has your hair ever been overmoisturised?

• Yes

Votes: 174 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 121 30.2%
  • I dont know

Votes: 106 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

texasgrl

Has your hair ever been overmoisturised? My hair never has, ever, now I believe that their is such a thing but only because you guys told me and the info I get from you has been pure GOLD:grin: . I starting to kind of feel like I want my hiar to be overmoisturised just so I can see what it looks like on that end of the spectrum. Does that make sence?:ohwell:

I've only just getting the hang of this moisturizing thing.

Especially since I know no-lye can dry out the hair. But I'll do a protein treatment and see what difference I can notice.

They say that your hair is mushy when it's over moisturized. Or so I read from LHCF. But I'm not sure how mushy hair feels.

:lol:

Last edited:
I have. I did not know what mwas going on but my hair was TOO soft. After 3 weeks in braids and using no protein during that time, and another 2 weeks with ONLY moisturizing conditioners with no protein, my hair was to soft and mushy feeling, as some have described it.

I still did not realize it was over moisturized until I actually used Aphogee 2 min Keratin conditioner. Immediatly upon rinsing I could tell a difference in my hair.

I now know how it feels. Up until that time, I had no idea.

i was doing CWs every day and my hair became overmoisturised. it had all the symptoms. it followed the comb while wet, it was a bit mushy and lifeless, and it streeeetttttccchhhed then popped while wet.

I did a couple protein treatments (which i NEVER did before) and my hair is slowly turning around.

i can honestly say, that it it were not for this board, i woud not have known how to fix that problem. :yep:

seraphinelle said:
So hair twin, LOL,

What does over moisturized hair feel like?

Or too much protein?

That's easy. It breaks off easily, feels mushy when wet and has some but not much elasticity.

When it has too much protein it feels stiff and hard when dry, doesn't have any elasticity, and snap off readily.

At this point (17 months into my journey), I can take down one braid and tell if I need to add Aveda DR to my braid spray or Aphogree Green Tea Reconstructor.

AlexB7 said:
What does "follow the comb when wet" mean exactly?

taken from Sistaslick's Hair Breakage 101 thread

Scenario 2: Trina's hair is breaking like crazy as well. Her hair feels dry, looks dull, and is very weak. Her hair is too weak to withstand simple combing. It feels extra stretchy when wet and almost follows the comb as she pulls through to detangle. She has deep conditioned and done hot oil treatments on her hair once a week. Since her breakage began, she?s stepped up the conditioning but her problem has gotten worse.

hth :)

seraphinelle said:
I've only just getting the hang of this moisturizing thing.

Especially since I know no-lye can dry out the hair. But I'll do a protein treatment and see what difference I can notice.

They say that your hair is mushy when it's over moisturized. Or so I read from LHCF. But I'm not sure how mushy hair feels.

:lol:
Oh you will know. I didnt know either till it happened to me. It feels limp and like mush literally. It wasnt nice at all. I needed some major protien. Well I hennad and that took care of the problem.

DSylla said:
i was doing CWs every day and my hair became overmoisturised. it had all the symptoms. it followed the comb while wet, it was a bit mushy and lifeless, and it streeeetttttccchhhed then popped while wet.

Same here...dc twice weekly has made a dramatic difference!!

naturallady said:
Oh you will know. I didnt know either till it happened to me. It feels limp and like mush literally. It wasnt nice at all. I needed some major protien. Well I hennad and that took care of the problem.

DOESN'T IT?!?!:)

My hair never felt so thick and strong!!

I overmoisturized my hair once. I applied 3 deep moisturizing treatments to my hair all at once and then slept in it overnight. My hair was very mush and limp when I rinsed. It took me about a week of protein treatments to get my hair back to normal.

Overmoisturized hair breaks, fills up your comb even when you are being gentle, and really, just feels like it's a mushy over-soft mess. If you can't imagine something being too soft, think of over-cooked pasta or rice.:ohwell: This is why I don't deep condition w/o protein, my hair is just too porous and damaged and it takes up way too much moisture. Maybe it will require more moisture when the ends are healthy in a couple of years. In the meantime, I will always take a balanced approach to my hair including moisture, heavy and light protein, and conditioners that improve porosity and elasticity.

Don't try to overmoisturize your hair. It's easily corrected, but you may lose some hair in the process.

seraphinelle said:
So hair twin, LOL,

What does over moisturized hair feel like?

Or too much protein?
when i was natural earlier last year i put too protein in my hair and it was like straw it was breaking left and right and no matter what moisturizer i used my hair would basically laugh at me it took about 1 month of dcing to get my hair back to normal i will never do that again

CAPlush said:
Overmoisturized hair breaks, fills up your comb even when you are being gentle, and really, just feels like it's a mushy over-soft mess. If you can't imagine something being too soft, think of over-cooked pasta or rice.:ohwell:

I just got an image in my head of overcooked ramen. I like my ramen firm but still kinda soft but my father's mother always makes it so mushy and gross that I can't even look at it without almost wanting to gag.

My hair is mushy when it's over moisturized-if I sleep with conditioner several nights in a row, I can expect the 'mushy monster to come vist me".
NO more henna for me ----1-2 times per year, henna is the "Bone straight monster:eek: "...I still love you henna :lachen: just keep your distance:lachen:

or is it Biotin ?...UUUUMMM?
New Post :lachen:

I agree with the other posters. I went overboard with the protein which led me to go overboard with the dc's. Now I know and have a balance.

My hair has been over moisturized before...from daily use of S-Curl No Drip Activator Moisturizer. It felt mushy, too soft, and weak which eventually caused breakage. Once I stopped using it, my hair went back to normal. I've never experience overusage of protein for the fact that I don't use any type of protein products on my hair.

a couple of moisturizing shampoos that are no longer in my regimine were responsible for making my hair too soft(mushy!) bye bye out of the bathroom shelves they went!!!

Navs, I can relate to the ramen noodles!! I just had the hot n spicy flavor for lunch today!! and I like my noodles just right..not to soft and not to rigid!:)

Last edited:
My hair felt overmoisturized and mushy the first (and last!) time I left my deep conditioner in ALL DAY long. While I did correct it soon after, it's a feeling I don't want to feel again. Fine, thin, mushy hair is NOT attractive.

Hair Iam said:
My hair is mushy when it's over moisturized-if I sleep with conditioner several nights in a row, I can expect the 'mushy monster to come vist me".
NO more henna for me ----1-2 times per year, henna is the "Bone straight monster:eek: "...I still love you henna :lachen: just keep your distance:lachen:

or is it Biotin ?...UUUUMMM?
New Post :lachen:

LOL @ "mushy monster". :lachen: :lachen:

Have yet to meet the mushy monster, as someone most eloquently put it :lachen:

I do wash or at least wet my hair every day. So that it's easier to style.

Grow baby Grow!

My hair has been over moisturized. It was mushy, lifeless, and very elastic. One time,my hair was so overmoistured from too much s-curl that my hair would become wet again if it was a humid day. Then, I would try to use a flat iron over it *shakes head* I know better now.

You know, now that I think of it I have...just this past summer while on vacation. I thought it was the salt ocean water or the chlorine in the pool that caused by hair to break off in the back of my head, but I kept conditioner in my hair every day, all day because I thought I was protecting it from all the water activities.

So the moral to this story is even someone with generally dry hair can over-moisturize.

Good topic.

sareca said:
That's easy. It breaks off easily, feels mushy when wet and has some but not much elasticity.

When it has too much protein it feels stiff and hard when dry, doesn't have any elasticity, and snap off readily.

At this point (17 months into my journey), I can take down one braid and tell if I need to add Aveda DR to my braid spray or Aphogree Green Tea Reconstructor.

sareca thanks SO much for posting this.

Back